+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: What a pillock

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Jacob fails to understand that the "younger generation" eventually grow up....idealism goes out of the window and it's every man for himself and his family....
    I tend to agree with this - it’s why the leave side need to be right about it having no economic consequences, and making the average family richer.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    I tend to agree with this - it’s why the leave side need to be right about it having no economic consequences, and making the average family richer.
    Who said there won't be economic consequences? It's a price worth paying in the short term. Long term is full of opportunities providing the snowflakes have the guts to get out of their comfort zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Who said there won't be economic consequences? It's a price worth paying in the short term. Long term is full of opportunities providing the snowflakes have the guts to get out of their comfort zone.
    What is the price worth paying do you think?

And, what are the long term opportunities?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I’ve no idea if the current EU structure would have been voted for in 1975. As I said in the earlier post, despite promises made at the time, the 1975 referendum was overturned in 2016, just as that one probably will be in 2019.

I’ve also no idea why you think the UK is part of a “federal” EU, what laws we’re subjected to by that federal EU that you don’t like or what you base your optimism on for the future. I’ve certainly seen nothing in the negotiations that make me optimistic.
    You need to read what people post!

I said I did not like the idea of a Federal Europe not that were currently part of a Federal Europe.
    I do think that this is where the EU project will end up.

41 years between the 1975 and 2016 referendums but you think 1 year after leaving we should have another referendum.
    Democracy at it's finest!

There are lots of countries outside of the EU that seem to be successful why do you not think the UK can do the same?

Pretty much the entire Brexit campaign...

Obviously anyone who is ideologically invested enough to be posting about it on an internet football forum doesn’t care, but if you think that the average voter was looking at ‘long term opportunities’ and happy with short term economic pain, I think you’re deluded.

Read the post properly please, or at least don’t deliberately misinterprete it. It didn’t imply that Russian interference on its own would trigger another referendum. It said that increasing evidence of interference may influence the result of any referendum held in 2019.
    Right, here’s what you wrote:

“that one (the one in 2016 – Leave/Remain) will probably be overturned by a People’s Referendum in 2019, particularly in the light of increasing evidence of Russian interference.”

So, you think that firstly there “WILL PROBABLY” be another referendum “in 2019” and that the 2016 decision (to Leave) “WILL PROBABLY BE OVERTURNED” by that Referendum and that “increasing evidence of Russian interference” will help to overturn the 2016 vote.

So, you state the 2016 decision (to Leave) “will probably be overturned by a People’s Referendum in 2019”. I’m willing to bet money against that happening. Are you?

Also, wtf is a “People’s Referendum”? How is that different to a “Referendum”.

Also, still waiting for your evidence of Russian interference. So far Driller’s covered for you with something that’s “anecdotal” and something that’s “not concrete as yet”. What’s yours?

I presume by snowflakes you mean the people who are spitting the dummy because the nasty wasty EU didn't roll over and give us what we wanted?

Quote Originally Posted by AltyPie View Post
    Right, here’s what you wrote:

“that one (the one in 2016 – Leave/Remain) will probably be overturned by a People’s Referendum in 2019, particularly in the light of increasing evidence of Russian interference.”

So, you think that firstly there “WILL PROBABLY” be another referendum “in 2019” and that the 2016 decision (to Leave) “WILL PROBABLY BE OVERTURNED” by that Referendum and that “increasing evidence of Russian interference” will help to overturn the 2016 vote.

So, you state the 2016 decision (to Leave) “will probably be overturned by a People’s Referendum in 2019”. I’m willing to bet money against that happening. Are you?

Also, wtf is a “People’s Referendum”? How is that different to a “Referendum”.

Also, still waiting for your evidence of Russian interference. So far Driller’s covered for you with something that’s “anecdotal” and something that’s “not concrete as yet”. What’s yours?
    Anecdotal but true, I can pull up the thread if you want.

I wasn't covering for BFP, I was just raising some what I think are important points, I could've also raised the breaking of campaign finance rules by the Leave campaign.

I think once again we see a lack of objectivity on the part of leavers. Barack Obama expresses his opinion about a post Brexit trade deal with the US - venomous attacks from furious leavers about interfering in our politics.

Russia sets up websites and social media accounts to distribute fake news articles and quotes in a coordinated attempt to influence the vote - no biggie.

Speaking of Russia I haven't heard from any of our resident chemical weapons / international espionage experts lately, was it the consecutive passport numbers, the interview in which even the presenter couldn't stop herself from laughing, or the ever more bizarre Russian excuses that made the penny finally drop that they are trolling the **** out of us?

Anyway a dignified silence is probably the least embarrassing option.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Nothing to do with Russia but there's also the fact that non UK citizens (Commonwealth citizens) were allowed to vote while millions of Brits who live in Europe were barred from voting, I'll just throw that in there seeing as you brought up disenfranchisement.
    Ok, there’s not much meat on that Russian interference bone so we’ll go with the overseas voters.

First, I don’t think it was “millions” of Brits who were affected by the overseas voter rule:
    “700,000 British expats will not be able to vote in EU referendum.”
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ld-be-a-disas/

2nd, that 700 to 800,000 weren’t “barred from voting”, they simply didn’t qualify under the 15 Year Rule that has been around for a long time. The Commonwealth citizens were only allowed to vote if they were in the country at the time. The 15 year rule applies to all general elections as well and has done for years. I have a friend here in NZ (millennial as it happens) who went to the UK, did get the vote and he voted to Remain. If I spend too much time in NZ I’ll lose the right to vote under that 15 year rule. These are simply the rules of “enfranchisement” at the moment. It’s a debate to be had whether it should be changed.

I’ll just throw in another couple of things:

A few Remainers on here have complained that some Leavers live abroad for most of the time (their reasons for complaining are their own) but they can’t have it both ways. Your use of the word “disenfranchisement” seems to indicate you think it’s an injustice that Brits abroad be subject to the 15 Year Rule. Do you think the rule should be scrapped?

Lastly, just while I’m on a grumpy middle aged fart run, that millennial mate of mine was complaining constantly how difficult it was for him, as a Kiwi, to obtain a visa for the UK and that it “should be easier and he should be able to stay longer because NZ helped Brits out during the war.” It was a real thorn in his side. But still he voted Remain without ever connecting the UK’s being inside the EU as being a major cause of the thing annoying him. Also you can see from him that it’s not just old Brit Dad’s Army Leaver types who invoke the spirit of WW2 to justify their vote – at least one millennial Remainer has done it too.

I’ve no idea if the current EU structure would have been voted for in 1975. As I said in the earlier post, despite promises made at the time, the 1975 referendum was overturned in 2016, just as that one probably will be in 2019.

I’ve also no idea why you think the UK is part of a “federal” EU, what laws we’re subjected to by that federal EU that you don’t like or what you base your optimism on for the future. I’ve certainly seen nothing in the negotiations that make me optimistic.

Well, being a remoaners that’s not a big surprise.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast