+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: fans reluctant to return to New York stadium

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Really interesting that a big preoccupation on the right is with lefties cancelling people because they hold opinions that they don't agree with. And in some extreme lefties, I would agree you have a problem.

But then an organisation claiming to represent the very same people set up a TV 'news' channel to give voice to all of these people, and represent (don't laugh at the back!) a "genuine freedom of speech".

Four weeks into the launch, a presenter takes the knee in the studio to make a point about racist attacks on England players, and cue a barrage of complaints from their viewers saying they'll never watch the channel again. And then ultimately the presenter is sacked. Cancelled.

Maybe it is just a problem of extremists on both sides that wish to cancel people vocalising views they don't agree with? Including some on here?
    I have no problem with individuals taking the knee.

It's become a collective where practically every player is expected/encouraged/obliged/instructed to take the knee. Not every player wants to take the knee and that goes for black, white, yellow, striped players. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimchance View Post
    My dear Scum, I do hope you are not suggesting that when a child molester is identified that we stand by and do nothing, that would be disgraceful.

Regarding WWF, I hope you have a wider input of TV viewing than this and the like. I thought Steve Austin was the 6 million dollar man.

I think you know I am not suggesting that sweetheart. I just think booing is a bit American or childish.

You could always just turn up 30 seconds after kick off. The only thing you'll miss is us kicking it out for a throw in.

I think that the majority of people that boo the knee isn't because they disagree with it, it's because there are prominent people and organisations that criticise and try to shame people who don't want to join in.
    Gareth Southgate being one of the main culprits

I've never heard anyone booing the regular 'kick it out' announcements that are made at the NYS throughout a match and I suspect I never will hear anyone booing them and rightly so.

Unfortunately the knee has far too much baggage and is causing more harm than good.

However, our captain Mr Wood regularly states that the players will continue with it and so as a collective they have clearly consulted with each other and in particular with our black players. If they want to continue with it then that's fine because that's their choice and they have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post

It's become a collective where practically every player is expected/encouraged/obliged/instructed to take the knee. Not every player wants to take the knee and that goes for black, white, yellow, striped players. It's a fact.
    My point was nothing to do with the pros and cons of taking the knee. Just about the wider hypocrisy of the folk that build a whole culture war around free speech being cancelled and then the very same people do the very same thing on their very own news platform.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post

I agree That's my concern too. Imagine the furore if a player broke ranks with his colleagues because he exercised his freedom of choice to not take the knee. He (or she) would quickly be branded a racist and not just by the extreme left as raging would have.

It's a minefield. No right thinking person should have a problem with people wanting to make it clear that they oppose racism (in a gesture or otherwise), but the problem with taking the knee is the baggage that comes with it. The 'cancel police funding' and other nonsense advocated by BLM.

I don't know the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    My point was nothing to do with the pros and cons of taking the knee. Just about the wider hypocrisy of the folk that build a whole culture war around free speech being cancelled and then the very same people do the very same thing on their very own news platform.
    So it was just a bit of whataboutery?

I don't know anybody who watches GB News or whatever it's called, but it certainly seems to have the left in mouth frothing mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimchance View Post
    There is another reason for fans not returning to the NYS and that is taking the knee for BLACK LIVES MATTER.

Reluctantly I have cancelled my season ticket, because if some players think I should be punished for booing them taking the knee, then I don't want to help fund their wages.

And before I get labelled a racist old fart, many black people are of the same mind as me and see BLM as the problem not the solution.
    Brilliant. I love stuff like this.

Like that Conservative MP who refused to watch any of the England games and missed the best tournament in a generation.

The expression is cutting your nose off to spite your face, go for it.

The funny thing is the players taking the knee likely literally couldn't care less, they're probably laughing at you. The only person who it really affects is Tony Stewart and his accountants. The players have contracts that guarantee their wages.

Good for you, standing up for something you believe in!
    Last edited by John2; 20-07-2021 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    Brilliant. I love stuff like this.

Like that Conservative MP who refused to watch any of the England games and missed the best tournament in a generation.

The expression is cutting your nose off to spite your face, go for it.

The funny thing is the players taking the knee likely literally couldn't care less, they're probably laughing at you. The only person who it really affects is Tony Stewart and his accountants. The players have contracts that guarantee their wages.

Good for you, standing up for something you believe in!
    The problem is John the players arnt laughing, if you watch BBC they are suicidal, I wouldn’t boo, I wouldn’t clap either I respect everyone’s opinion to do either.....or turn up after they have stood up.

Why does everything end up coming back to taking the knee, BLM etc? It just ends up with the same arguments and disagreements from both sides of the debate. No consensus, still disagreeing, what's the point? Had a decent thread going about concern for each other and that's why masks are wise to the majority.

Left or right, why it needs to be hijacked for the same debate over and over and over again I don't know. We all have opinions, some disagree, get over it.

I’m going to NYS against Newcastle just in case we don’t start the bloody season

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast