+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Look...

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    It's tough to say given that we've got so many signings right, but yeah, we badly messed up the defence and goalkeeper positions last summer and failed to fix the issue in January. The coming summer is a huge one.
    Yeah I didn't mean overall since they took over but last summer and January have been quite poor. I think they thought Stone would be better than he is but the defence is really weak and once Palmer went out, midfield also. Would Bajrami been good in the league above, we don't know but we were unlucky there to not be able to see. I like Robertson, think he'll be decent for us. Good news that Jatta will be here this week at least.

Personally I think the owners will have learnt alot this season about the quality required to make a decent automatic promotion bid. They will be learning though so think next season will be much improved.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Unfortunately it's not his money to spend. Our recruitment on the whole has been very good, with a few exceptions, but that happens everywhere. I think we may have blown our wage budget back end of last season and in the summer, Macca extension, Palmer extension, Bostock, Jones, Didzy etc all would have been substantial wages. No way we were bringing in any decent defenders without others going out of the door.
    I thought they alluded to underspending in the summer at the fans forum?

Looks like they talked a load of waffle at the fans forum especially when they referred to the chances of promotion needing to be higher than 2%, well it was much higher than that at the beginning of January, it's like they've given up on us.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Looks like they talked a load of waffle at the fans forum especially when they referred to the chances of promotion needing to be higher than 2%, well it was much higher than that at the beginning of January, it's like they've given up on us.
    I suspect you may have taken that rather too literally!

You have a rare talent marky - you actually make durham look like an optimist!

They might have given up on you. Can't say I'd blame them!

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Unfortunately it's not his money to spend. Our recruitment on the whole has been very good, with a few exceptions, but that happens everywhere. I think we may have blown our wage budget back end of last season and in the summer, Macca extension, Palmer extension, Bostock, Jones, Didzy etc all would have been substantial wages. No way we were bringing in any decent defenders without others going out of the door.
    As great as it was bringing him back from a romantic point of view, I do wonder how much the signing of Didzy has unbalanced the team this season. For starters, you have to assume he’s the best-paid player at the club by some distance, swallowing up a chunk of the budget that might have strengthened weaker areas of the side. Second, he’s 36 and it’s showing. We’re not able to press teams high up the pitch, leaving Macca to do most of the chasing and harrying on his own, now arguably to the detriment of his main job of scoring goals.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    As great as it was bringing him back from a romantic point of view, I do wonder how much the signing of Didzy has unbalanced the team this season. For starters, you have to assume he’s the best-paid player at the club by some distance, swallowing up a chunk of the budget that might have strengthened weaker areas of the side. Second, he’s 36 and it’s showing. We’re not able to press teams high up the pitch, leaving Macca to do most of the chasing and harrying on his own, now arguably to the detriment of his main job of scoring goals.
    You are correct, we didnt need him. What we did need was a ball winning midfielder, and a decent experienced central defender.. What we did get was, a permanently injured midfielder, a dodgy goalkeeper and a 36yr old on his last legs... And to top it off, we got another regular physio patient from Crewe...

Apart from spending 125k on a striker? Then managing to pip Stockport for Warner?

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I have to disagree on both points, starting with "assuming" his wage. I admit I don't have a clue as to his contract, but I'm not sure we would have broken the bank when he wanted to come here despite better offers. Also, I haven't seen his age showing. He presses as much as anyone in the team, he is all over the pitch trying to win the ball and then use it.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast