+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 71 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer rumours thread

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldmagpie View Post
    Wasn't Mick Walker a PE teacher?
    Not sure but Russell Slade was.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Not sure but Russell Slade was.
    Danny Cowley was for 15 years. I'd still take him over Wayne Rooney every day of the week.

Mick Walker spent a good time under Warnock, that's a good school for the time

Quote Originally Posted by ArabianNotts View Post
    What about José Mourinho surely the most successful non-footballer?

Nah, he was a pro-footballer, albeit at a low level and not for that many years, bit like Sven

José Mário dos Santos Mourinho Félix, GOIH (Portuguese pronunciation: [ʒuˈzɛ moˈɾiɲu]; born 26 January 1963), is a Portuguese professional football manager and former player who is the current head coach of Serie A club Roma. He is widely considered to be one of the greatest managers of all time,[2][3] and is one of the most decorated managers ever.[4]

After an uneventful career as a midfielder in the Portuguese leagues, Mourinho moved into coaching, first as an interpreter for Sir Bobby Robson at Sporting CP and Porto, before gaining success as an assistant at Barcelona under both Robson and his successor, Louis van Gaal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Mourinho

Eriksson made his debut for Swedish football Division 4 team Torsby IF at the age of 16.[6] He switched clubs to SK Sifhälla after moving to Säffle to study economics.[7] In 1972, he joined Swedish football Division 2 team KB Karlskoga FF, where he also worked as a physical education teacher in Örebro.[8]

He was heavily influenced by Karlskoga's player-manager, Tord Grip, who favoured the English style of play that Bob Houghton and Roy Hodgson had brought to the country.[8] Eriksson retired from playing in 1975 at the age of 27, after giving up on his dream of playing professional football; he summed up his brief playing career by saying "I was looked upon as a distinctly average defender, but someone who rarely made mistakes".[9]

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Interesting:

Top 5 Football Coaches Who Never Played Football

Arrigo Sacchi. The great Italian tactician was a club and national team manager. ...
    Avram Grant. Avram is an Israeli manager who spent most of his career coaching in his home country. ...
    Carlos Alberto Parreira. ...
    Andre Villas-Boas. ...
    Brian Kerr.
    You can add....

Maurizio Sarri, Julian Nagelsmann, Leonardo Jardim, Brendan Rogers, Paul Clement, Gerard Houllier, Roy Hodgson and Guy Roux

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    Danny Cowley was for 15 years. I'd still take him over Wayne Rooney every day of the week.
    Not sure who wouldn't.

Also from Wikipedia:
    Mourinho wanted to follow in his father's footsteps and joined the Belenenses youth team. Graduating to the senior level, he played at Rio Ave (where his father was coach), Belenenses, and Sesimbra. He lacked the requisite pace and power to become a professional and chose to focus on becoming a football coach instead.
    If the above is true, Mourinho didn’t play as a professional. In any case he had given up playing at the age of 24.

How may of the Mad posters have played or managed at a professional level? I am very dumb from a footballing perspective but happy to admit that, a few with I guess no more prowess than me in football seem to think they are the font of all football knowledge.

Better idea is to please join me on the NCFC "I have no expertise on this but hope/believe" optimism train (or monorail).

Quote Originally Posted by ArabianNotts View Post
    Also from Wikipedia:
    Mourinho wanted to follow in his father's footsteps and joined the Belenenses youth team. Graduating to the senior level, he played at Rio Ave (where his father was coach), Belenenses, and Sesimbra. He lacked the requisite pace and power to become a professional and chose to focus on becoming a football coach instead.
    If the above is true, Mourinho didn’t play as a professional. In any case he had given up playing at the age of 24.
    I spose the truth of it is, if any player plays for any sort of wage, then he's played as a pro?

Quote Originally Posted by bule1 View Post
    How may of the Mad posters have played or managed at a professional level? I am very dumb from a footballing perspective but happy to admit that, a few with I guess no more prowess than me in football seem to think they are the font of all football knowledge.

Better idea is to please join me on the NCFC "I have no expertise on this but hope/believe" optimism train (or monorail).
    I don’t think that’s true tbh. The ‘wisdom of the crowd’ effect comes into play, and there’s been loads of examples where people on here have seen the merits or otherwise of a player/manager long before those more directly involved.

I’ve played(at a very sh!t level)and watched football for 40 years, it’s ridiculous to think mine or other’s opinions don’t count because we’ve never played the professional game.
    Last edited by BigFatPie; 25-07-2021 at 07:06 PM.

Page 71 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast