+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 75 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer rumours thread

We surely would all love for Notts to sign a forward who is as good if not better than Wootton to further strengthen our squad. However assuming we a predominantly play a system with the one focal forward up top with players supporting then as QLD pointed out we have to be realistic with our expectations.

Without changing to 2 up front, I believe its highly unlikely that a new signing in that position will be that high a calibre player especially on under £1K per week.

Whoever comes in needs to apply pressure to Kyle for that starting slot, when needed come in and perform when others are injured, or to change games late on with a plan B approach but I see them as more of a squad player with attributes more akin to Kyle than any of our other attacking players. Personally I'd like to see an older player with experience come in.

Pretty obvious Wright is going to be the guy. We play one up front. No chance a proven player would want to come and sit on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ_OTF View Post
    Pretty obvious Wright is going to be the guy. We play one up front. No chance a proven player would want to come and sit on the bench.
    Also don't reckon the owners will want to splash the wages and fee for a competitor to Kyle to ge predominantly on the bench.

If Wooton were to get injured, we can go out and make a signing then as a replacement.

I agree with Carlton's suggested approach.

I’m fine with our striker signing being someone in the mould of Wootton when we signed him - ie someone with potential and a bit of experience who needs a platform to show what they can do. In fact, that’s what most of our signings should be.

Maybe that’s Wright, who knows? Will trust IB’s judgement in that from seeing him in training. Either way, I would be very surprised if we have problems scoring goals this season.

I think people are also forgetting that Rodrigues’ run of amazing form last season came with him playing as a genuine second striker up top with Wootton. When he came on against Telford he immediately took up this role. Which makes sense - why would you change what he was doing at the end of last season? So yeah, I expect us to be playing two upfront, but that two will be Wootton and Rodrigues.
    Last edited by jacobncfc; 30-07-2021 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    We wont get promoted by signing strikers just to make up the numbers. we need players who are capable of coming on and continue to score goals and to apply pressure on the first choice striker...
    I totally agree. There is no reason why we can't play with two strikers. Maybe we set up to play with one striker last season because that was our only option considering the lack of quality in our ranks. If we do play one upfront we need someone who has the quality to displace Wootton and not just play a supporting role. Also it has been mentioned that we won't get a decent striker for £1,000 a week. Who says we won't pay more? Thinking our strike force from last season is good enough when our competitors have gone out and strengthened is a head in the sand mentality.

The best clue to what we’re after is to listen to what IB has actually said. He has said we want someone else up top who’s going to put Wootton under genuine pressure for his starting place. Whether that man is Wright or not is a different matter, but if you look at the striking options now available to our likely competitors, it’s obvious we are fairly light in the strikers department.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    I totally agree. There is no reason why we can't play with two strikers. Maybe we set up to play with one striker last season because that was our only option considering the lack of quality in our ranks. If we do play one upfront we need someone who has the quality to displace Wootton and not just play a supporting role. Also it has been mentioned that we won't get a decent striker for £1,000 a week. Who says we won't pay more? Thinking our strike force from last season is good enough when our competitors have gone out and strengthened is a head in the sand mentality.
    We ended the season as the form team in the league playing two strikers… the guy playing upfront with Wootton scored eight goals in ten games lol.

If, and admittedly it's a a big IF, Cal Roberts is fit for the vast majority of the upcoming season then we will have seriously strengthened our strike force compared to last season. I wouldn't swap a fully fit Roberts for anyone in the league.

As for the clubs budget we were told on here that nobody at Notts is on more than £1K per week with many earning a lot less.

Obviously this is very unlikely to be the case and unrealistic for a Notts County squad. I'd take the comment with a huge pinch of salt. However as someone mentioned earlier I doubt the owners will have big wages regularly sat on the bench too often this season.

Kieran Agard rumour doing the rounds. Thoughts?

Page 75 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast