+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 77 of 299 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

and is that natural ageing phenomenon necessarily bad? Surely from a societal perspective such "wisdom of age" balances the "rashness of youth" to result in a measured response to issues of national importance?

Perhaps the longer life expectancies have tilted that balance out of kilter, and this may in part be why the leave vote prevailed - although change is something the older generation typically do not fancy, so there is an internal lack of logic here. But its way to simplistic to "blame" brexit on the elderly, although I understand that they represent an easy target for the Swale backlash.

Maybe the answer is euthanasia at 70, or would you advocate a sort of modified Logan's Run or Soylent Green scenarion

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Its generally the case when the subject wanders off football, because the membership is mostly old right wing leaning old blokes with an axe to grind!
    I’ve never felt so insulted in my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    and is that natural ageing phenomenon necessarily bad? Surely from a societal perspective such "wisdom of age" balances the "rashness of youth" to result in a measured response to issues of national importance?

Perhaps the longer life expectancies have tilted that balance out of kilter, and this may in part be why the leave vote prevailed - although change is something the older generation typically do not fancy, so there is an internal lack of logic here. But its way to simplistic to "blame" brexit on the elderly, although I understand that they represent an easy target for the Swale backlash.

Maybe the answer is euthanasia at 70, or would you advocate a sort of modified Logan's Run or Soylent Green scenarion
    Actually no, some conservatism is obviously natural as in most cases caution triumphs over the hope and rash thinking of youth, but a tendency to conservative political thinking or a mellow wishful nostalgia for the "golden" days of old is neither inevitable or as common as made out. But of course it maybe if you inhabit a world where it seems everybody you associate with has your views then thats likely to be your world view.

I never did get why being older means a resistance to change and actually I think that's less and less of an issue as people stay mentally coherent later in life, being older might mean your more challenging of change, that's a good thing, though it can get tiresome when some 20 something espouses and idea which was last tried 20 years ago and didn't work then and one has to explain why it didn't work. But hey ho that is what experience is for, and sometimes people have to learn through their mistakes.

I don't blame the Brexit on the older generation, I blame Brexit on those who didn't want it but were so complacent they didn't vote! The fact that a mere 37% of the population voted for Brexit shows this to be clearly the case.

Interesting "fact", I say that because its the results of a recent poll, but it has a ring of truth and that is 60 plus men are in the majority in disliking the BBC, certainly rings true on here!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post

Interestingly...maybe - only the cricket is preserving my sanity today what with weather, Covid restrictions and delayed payments - ‘Soylent Green’ was made 49 years ago and set next year in 2022, and we are now about half way between the making and the setting of ‘Logan’s Run’. Scary thought #2.

Actually no, some conservatism is obviously natural as in most cases caution triumphs over the hope and rash thinking of youth, but a tendency to conservative political thinking or a mellow wishful nostalgia for the "golden" days of old is neither inevitable or as common as made out. But of course it maybe if you inhabit a world where it seems everybody you associate with has your views then thats likely to be your world view.

I never did get why being older means a resistance to change and actually I think that's less and less of an issue as people stay mentally coherent later in life, being older might mean your more challenging of change, that's a good thing, though it can get tiresome when some 20 something espouses and idea which was last tried 20 years ago and didn't work then and one has to explain why it didn't work. But hey ho that is what experience is for, and sometimes people have to learn through their mistakes.

I don't blame the Brexit on the older generation, I blame Brexit on those who didn't want it but were so complacent they didn't vote! The fact that a mere 37% of the population voted for Brexit shows this to be clearly the case.

Interesting "fact", I say that because its the results of a recent poll, but it has a ring of truth and that is 60 plus men are in the majority in disliking the BBC, certainly rings true on here!
    I should have stated 60 plus Brexit voting men!

the results of a recent poll
    Link please

Remiss of me I know but can't at the moment locate it, must be getting old!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Interestingly...maybe - only the cricket is preserving my sanity today what with weather, Covid restrictions and delayed payments - ‘Soylent Green’ was made 49 years ago and set next year in 2022, and we are now about half way between the making and the setting of ‘Logan’s Run’. Scary thought #2.
    Mad Max was set in 2021.............

The latest indications are that we were wise to stay out of the EU vaccine procurement programme. According to Reuters, a third of EU countries are complaining about their 'ration' of vaccines. Unsurprisingly, it's the Germans that seem to be getting the lion's share with 4 million shots by the end of January, pro rata Romania should be getting 1 million, but is getting 600k and Bulgaria's share of 440k has turned out to be 60k.

I wonder how much the UK would have been given, if we'd been part of it? When you consider that we've already administered over 3 million jabs, I don't think we'd have been anywhere near our current totals and targets.

BTW, I'm not celebrating a win, I'm pointing out that a widely criticised government policy is still looking to be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    The latest indications are that we were wise to stay out of the EU vaccine procurement programme. According to Reuters, a third of EU countries are complaining about their 'ration' of vaccines. Unsurprisingly, it's the Germans that seem to be getting the lion's share with 4 million shots by the end of January, pro rata Romania should be getting 1 million, but is getting 600k and Bulgaria's share of 440k has turned out to be 60k.

I wonder how much the UK would have been given, if we'd been part of it? When you consider that we've already administered over 3 million jabs, I don't think we'd have been anywhere near our current totals and targets.

BTW, I'm not celebrating a win, I'm pointing out that a widely criticised government policy is still looking to be correct.
    I'll agree that we were wise to go our own way, the procurement programme was different from the actual vaccine programme, where we do indeed at this early stage appear to be doing better than the EU, though in reality it will be 6 months before it becomes clear.

Germany have also run a parallel procurement programme which is why they have additional vaccines, although i note that Pfizer are saying there will be reduced supply for a few days whilst they ramp up production.

Page 77 of 299 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)