+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 771 of 923 FirstFirst ... 271671721761769770771772773781821871 ... LastLast
Results 7,701 to 7,710 of 9227

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Well I'm certainly prone to making a fool of myself. But other than that, she is of the 'anti'-woke', anti-'cancel-culture' inclination and her opinion is that the BBC (who's future is in theory in her hands) has a 'leaning' (or series of them) rather than a 'balance'. Etc etc
    Oh dear, you actually believe this crap about "woke" and "cancel-culture" as if its anything other than a false narrative built up by the right based on the views expressed by of a minority of the population?

I don't get this use of woke as a pejorative either, its definition means being aware of racial prejudice and discrimination and other issues of social inequality, for instance, regarding gender and ***ual orientation. Personally I'd wear that label with pride - its used in a sneering fashion by people who can't handle social chnage and are in fact out of step with the majority of views.

Now dear Nadine - mm maybe just go back a little and see what she has said about various things - if you agree with her then frankly your perhaps less intelligent than I thought you were or simply someone who I'd be resigned to thinking lives in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Oh dear, you actually believe this crap about "woke" and "cancel-culture" as if its anything other than a false narrative built up by the right based on the views expressed by of a minority of the population?

I don't get this use of woke as a pejorative either, its definition means being aware of racial prejudice and discrimination and other issues of social inequality, for instance, regarding gender and ***ual orientation. Personally I'd wear that label with pride - its used in a sneering fashion by people who can't handle social chnage and are in fact out of step with the majority of views.

Now dear Nadine - mm maybe just go back a little and see what she has said about various things - if you agree with her then frankly your perhaps less intelligent than I thought you were or simply someone who I'd be resigned to thinking lives in the past.
    Indeed...couldn’t the Suffragettes, the Abolitionists and those who supported the fight against the Nazi’s anti Semitism and, thirty years later, anti Apartheid be regarded as the ‘woke generation’ of their day?

Like you, I’d be proud to be associated with any of those causes...in fact I was with the most recent one. Still I guess some people just wish to slumber on and...returning more directly to Brexit go back to a ‘lbs and oz’ world, as I see is being ludicrously suggested at the moment.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 17-09-2021 at 10:19 AM.

I support blm. I do not support BLM. I support players expressing their feelings against racism and any form of discrimination/inequality. I do not support those who boo them for doing so. I support the LGBT etc clamour for equality. That kind of woke, I am proud to support.

Then you have those who see themselves a "woke" who are actually conspiracy theorists. They believe 5G will boil our blood and fry our brains. 5G has been in test for a couple of years and the rollout was some 15 months ago. My blood and brains are still in order (although some may disagree with the latter). They believe either that CV19 doesn't exist or that it was spread by 5G. Ridiculous. They believe that the vaccine contains some kind of tracking device and/or facilitates mind control. They think the whole thing is part of some grand plan to further subserviate mankind by the "1%". Dumbasses. They believe "doctors" like the the American Dr Tenpenny who has written that all those double vaxxed will die in between 14 and 18 months of their 2nd dose. I don't believe a word of it and have said before that if it starts to happen then Dutch politicians had better have a great place to hide as millions will go looking for them. I presume similar would happen in England. The vast majority of police and the armed forces have been vaxxed and they won't be protecting them..........

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

I believe strongly there needs to be a fight back against cancel culture as I’ve been a personal witness to its sheer bonkersness

If you don’t get that ‘woke’ has been comprehensively hijacked and is now a perjorative, you need to keep up and/or get out of your bubble

If you don’t get that ‘woke’ has been comprehensively hijacked and is now a perjorative...
    How? Examples are always useful...although they don’t always undermine the underlying cause, they might at least provide a starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    How? Examples are always useful...although they don’t always undermine the underlying cause, they might at least provide a starting point.
    3 or 4 posts I wrote

QUOTE Then you have those who see themselves a "woke" who are actually conspiracy theorists. They believe 5G will boil our blood and fry our brains. 5G has been in test for a couple of years and the rollout was some 15 months ago. My blood and brains are still in order (although some may disagree with the latter). They believe either that CV19 doesn't exist or that it was spread by 5G. Ridiculous. They believe that the vaccine contains some kind of tracking device and/or facilitates mind control. They think the whole thing is part of some grand plan to further subserviate mankind by the "1%". Dumbasses. They believe "doctors" like the the American Dr Tenpenny who has written that all those double vaxxed will die in between 14 and 18 months of their 2nd dose. I don't believe a word of it and have said before that if it starts to happen then Dutch politicians had better have a great place to hide as millions will go looking for them. I presume similar would happen in England. The vast majority of police and the armed forces have been vaxxed and they won't be protecting them.......... UNQUOTE

The anti 5G, anti vaxxers crowd of conspeorists think that everybody else is either asleep or "sheeple" and that they themselves are the woke.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

I think wikipedia does a better job than I of explaining yet another complex issue. The point I'm making is that, in UK at least, the use of the phrase in pejorative/negative terms has grown to be significantly more common than in complinentary/favourable terms

In 'our' days, the same applied to the phrase 'do-gooder'

I can't give you an example of wokeness as applied to me, but I can give you an example of 'cancel culture', in fact I think I've shared it before on here

I think wikipedia does a better job than I of explaining yet another complex issue. The point I'm making is that, in UK at least, the use of the phrase in pejorative/negative terms has grown to be significantly more common than in complinentary/favourable terms

In 'our' days, the same applied to the phrase 'do-gooder'

I can't give you an example of wokeness as applied to me, but I can give you an example of 'cancel culture', in fact I think I've shared it before on here
    I'll give you one, my dear old mum replayed for me today-

Her coronation street again.
    Black lad had been pulled over before by a white copper, as he was driving a posh car.
    Things got heated and the lad hurt his ankle etc.

It was witnessed by a white copper resident, who when interviewed, played his report down.
    Now after having the "woke" ideals rammed down his throat and a lecture from a black wpc, as to how can the black population trust us? Do you know how easy your life is driving a nice car, but you're not black etc.
    Reduces him to tears and resubmits his statement full of shame and regret.
    Then vows he's going to change his life and never let his narrow vision cloud his life again.

Yes I know it's a fictional soap. However it's a major broadcaster, re educating the millions of grandmas out there, as to their inbuilt prejudice.
    It's things like this, that makes Geobbels look like an amateur.

So much for light entertainment.

In other news, I've put my brexit prejudices aside, and ordered German again.
    I hope Merkel and Von der Alwayslying, thank me, when my 235i arrives.
    Last edited by Trickytreesreds; 17-09-2021 at 06:20 PM.

German wine tricky? How very gauche.

As regards woke issues, whilst I have sympathy to many of the issues, I am very much more half asleep in general than woke. Rather like MA, I accept aspects where things are clearly wrong, but not the entire "political movement". And the more people try to shove it down my throat, the more I resume sleep.

As for cancel culture, Ive never experienced it and like to think I'd laugh in its face if I did. As for its impact on celebrities - well who gives a ****: if you put yourself and your opinions out there for benefit/aggrandisement etc, you deserve all you get in feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    German wine tricky? How very gauche.

As regards woke issues, whilst I have sympathy to many of the issues, I am very much more half asleep in general than woke. Rather like MA, I accept aspects where things are clearly wrong, but not the entire "political movement". And the more people try to shove it down my throat, the more I resume sleep.

As for cancel culture, Ive never experienced it and like to think I'd laugh in its face if I did. As for its impact on celebrities - well who gives a ****: if you put yourself and your opinions out there for benefit/aggrandisement etc, you deserve all you get in feedback.
    I only mention what I've experienced not merely heard about, my most blatant experience has been (attempted) censoring of 'my' (lol) covers band's set list (twice, at the same venue, but by different people), our response being 'we play for money, we play what you want, we pay for free, we pay what the **** WE want'. We were playing for free.

Page 771 of 923 FirstFirst ... 271671721761769770771772773781821871 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)