+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 📝 George Abbott...signs for season long loan

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    That analogy made me laugh! It also reminded me that there's a similar gulf in most sports. Years ago, as a keen amateur cyclist, I could turn out 200 watts for a (not very long) while. Top pros were from a different planet, churning out 600 watts for hour after hour. (Maybe not quite so much without pharmaceutical enhancements, but still with a totally different class of engine.)
    I know what you mean - I was in a road race with some guys from Raleigh Banana, who were at best a 2nd tier pro team. I was hanging on at the back of the peloton chewing on my handle bars - there were 2 Raleigh guys riding next to me having a chat as if they were on a club run. They moved up when they needed to and one of them won easily in the end... I was dropped shortly after I saw them. Just for context - I was in a 3 up Time trial team who finished just 4 or so minutes behind the Raleigh Banana team in a 25 mile time trial later in the season, so we weren't bad, but the difference is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftPeg_Pie View Post
    Potentially, for actual contact, but again, physicality in the sense of movement, running and general physical output is absolutely non-comparable.
    I don't agree, decent players run more than really good players who let the ball do the running, only those who have never played at all, will dissent. Players who operate at a good, amateur level which is what I referred to, still have an incredible work rate compared to pub players.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftPeg_Pie View Post
    I get that us mere mortals only have our own experiences to go off, but the difference between professional sport and amateur sport is really not worth the comparison.
    This greatly depends on what level of amateur / pro sport we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Med Pie View Post
    I don't agree, decent players run more than really good players who let the ball do the running, only those who have never played at all, will dissent. Players who operate at a good, amateur level which is what I referred to, still have an incredible work rate compared to pub players.
    Im not questioning the fact good amateur players have an incredible work rate. I just find it difficult to compare professional football to even a good standard of amateur football, simply because the levels between the professional game itself are so starkly different. So to compare that to the amateur level is difficult.

The difference between L2 and L1 can be small but then there’s a big jump to the Champ and an even bigger one to the PL.

The hardest working amateur player may make the same number of sprints in a game as the hardest working professional player, but it’s probably safe to bet the professional player does those sprints at a higher intensity, over a greater distance and probably doesn’t dip on the physical output too significantly if a sprint comes in minute one or minute 90. The amateur player probably doesn’t match up.

Spurs podcasters keeping an eye on Mad and our excellent loanee. Hope he stays the full season personally.

https://www.tottenhamhotspurnews.com...claim-emerges/

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire_Pie View Post
    Spurs podcasters keeping an eye on Mad and our excellent loanee. Hope he stays the full season personally.

Keeping an eye on Mad? They must be masochists.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire_Pie View Post

Perhaps we should start slagging him off?😊
    Terrible miss with that open goal on Saturday.

I got as far as “he’s started all three of Notts’ EFL League One games since joining” …

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678