+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Stubbs

Hadn’t made any comments intending for Houston to come back. Now mentioned though he’d be better than some of the dross we get linked with in this long drawn out of appointing or not approinting a manager.

I doubt PH is in any rush to come and work under ST again and if he will be stuck with current squad and no backroom team or money to spend - who knows!

I’d like to know now what is going on?!

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Why wouldn't i be happy, it's just an opinion, only some of it true or had some truth to it

I can blow it to pieces in huge depth but can't be arsed, his record and results speak for themselves both with Levein's team, his own team and subsequently at Falkirk

As for fitness, we have never had a never say die attitude post Jim McLean as we had under Houston, always going to the very end to retrieve wins or draws, haven't had that since Houston left either

Not bad for being hated by players 😂😂😂

This place is a hoot with its revisionism
    You ok hun?

Why wouldn't i be happy, it's just an opinion, only some of it true or had some truth to it

I can blow it to pieces in huge depth but can't be arsed, his record and results speak for themselves both with Levein's team, his own team and subsequently at Falkirk

As for fitness, we have never had a never say die attitude post Jim McLean as we had under Houston, always going to the very end to retrieve wins or draws, haven't had that since Houston left either

Not bad for being hated by players 😂😂😂

This place is a hoot with its revisionism
    It's how I remember it but if you have some facts that can prove me wrong, please tell me.

Pretty poor argument to say you can't be arsed.

Certainly am babe 😕

I really can't but I'll give a brief reply to it as like I say his record blows t to smithereens anyway

Quote Originally Posted by spikeontheright View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree with much of what you say. There are a few things that I remember about Houston that a lot of people seem to have forgotten:

1 - Can't remember the date but after a run of poor results and performances, ST flew home early from a holiday in the USA and it was reckoned that Houston was getting the sack if we didn't win an away game at Dunfermline. Houston eventually relented and did what the fans had been screaming out for for months and played 2 up front. We won the game 3-1 or 3-0 and the rest is history. Imagine being on the verge of the sack with the players we had at the time? An excellent squad that had been built by Levein.

2 - He gave a massive one-fingered salute to the club and the fans during the last couple of games of his reign with deliberately bad team selections and substitutions.

3 - Jackie (a good manager?) came in and had a fair degree of success working with players Houston said weren't good enough.

4 - Heard from some players that training had become a bit of a joke over at St Andrews and the coaching staff were not utilising the world class facilities available to them to anything like their potential.

5 - Anyone that didn't see Armstrong as a future Scotland regular when he was at Tannadice knows nothing about football, so his judgement of Armstrong as the best player at Tannadice doesn't make hi a good manager.

6 - No one came in for him when he left United and he had to take a job scouting for Celtic.

1 - this was Houston's third season in charge , it was no longer Levein's team as many had left and new players signed, it was Houston's, we had injuries and players that needed to get upto speed to be starting games, we also suffered a bit of a Europa league hangover, would have been ludicrous to sack Houston then after what he'd done the previous 18 months, I shot those down at the time who were, Houston 90% of the time played 2 up front, circumstances sometimes dictated that he didn't, once he found what worked he stuck with, that game was at Dunfermline who we beat easy but that result and change in results was always going to come, we didn't actually go on our excellent run with great attacking football (the best we ever seen GMS was in 2012 under Houston and that applies to this day, we saw his peak that year) until we knocked the old Rangers out the cup at Ibrox in February, then won 6 league games in a row for the second season running under PH (something we hadn't managed since 1996/97 under Tommy), beat Rangers and Celtic at Tannadice near the end of the season aswell, which made his finishing positions 3rd 4th 4th, we also never gave in, the amount of late goals we got was something else

2 - yet his last results were a 3-2 win at Killie, a loss at Celtic Park then the 1-1 at home to Ross County, we would still have come good like the last three seasons and got a top six finish, maybe not as dramatically as we did a few months later under McNamara

3 - which players did he have success with that ph said weren't good enough? Took McNamara until Ross County away for things to click with his 4-2-3-1 wentn Ciftci infront of GMS/Armstrong/Gauld behind in 2013/14, it was a different team though with some screwed signings by Jackie, he was very good manager for us until February 2015 and that was a great time for us

4 - Hearsay, didn't affect the results in his time in charge or the never say die attitude right to the end of games

5 - No his record as Dundee United manager and then Falkirk manager do

6 - Not a bad gig to get, before joining a club he has legendary status at from playing days, taking them to the cup final while in the 2nd tier, going toe to toe with Sevco, Hearts and Hibs, any other period would have seen them promoted, just unlucky timing wise, 70pts in second place the year Sevco won it with Hibs 3rd (4 games against each), that's more pts than most get winning that division (the fun never reached that total in all their years down)

7 - He isn't in the running, he is currently just an out of work DUFC legend

I think he may give up management now. He was and still is a silver kissing legend - one of 3 this club has had as a manager. Still cannae get my head round the other one was Golac but hey ho. He was never coming back.

BTW - for not being arsed about a comment that's impressive above

Certainly am babe ��

btw what the phuck is that emoji?? looks like someone filling a nappy at tannadice. BTW positive news on that on another thread

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Hmmm, hindsight again. What he said at the time, if I remember, was he wouldn't be able to build a competitive team with the resources the club were committing to spend. That was proved to be nonsense by the next manager.
    I really wish i could remember fully what PH said on his departure. From what i do remember, he wasnt happy with the 5 year plan, and that has come home to roost! Because he said that right at the start(ok his end), its not hindsight!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)