+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 135 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacement for DM

It all hinges on whether McInnes is interested in the talking to Rangers. If he isn't particularly interested then we should reject any approach. DM has made it clear he is happy at the Dons and nothing he has said suggests that he would force a move. Of course that doesn't mean he wouldn't take the h*n job if offered.

The board needs to realise that it could significantly upset our season to lose our manager to a team that is our main rival in the league and handle negotiations accordingly.

I don't think McInnes will go. I do think he will manage Rangers at some point in the future, but I would expect when he moves on from us it'll be to go down south again - then he'll be back up to Rangers. I don't see him going there directly from Aberdeen.

Rangers are in a terrible state - I think they'll end up with someone like Alex McLeish if they want experience, or someone like Barry Ferguson if they just want to get the fans onside (this would be brilliant for us, as he hasn't the first clue about managing a team). McInnes will cost them too much - he's the most valuable asset we have at AFC - he's the reason why we've been able to bring in the kind of players we have.

For those who seem to hate McInnes - yes he has his faults, but he is the main reason we're in the position we are at the moment - 1 point behind Celtic. 2nd in the league for last 3 years, 2 cup finals last year. Realistically it's as good as it's going to get when you have a team with the budget of Celtic ahead of you. Without him you'll see half of that team vanish within a season and the replacements won't be anywhere near the same quality and we'll be back to challenging for a top 6 spot. McInnes has built something here - it seems he still feels there's a bit more to do, so I for one hope he sticks around to see it through.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    For those who seem to hate McInnes - yes he has his faults, but he is the main reason we're in the position we are at the moment - 1 point behind Celtic. 2nd in the league for last 3 years, 2 cup finals last year. Realistically it's as good as it's going to get when you have a team with the budget of Celtic ahead of you. Without him you'll see half of that team vanish within a season and the replacements won't be anywhere near the same quality and we'll be back to challenging for a top 6 spot. McInnes has built something here - it seems he still feels there's a bit more to do, so I for one hope he sticks around to see it through.
    The thing is that the relationship between a club and a manager is very rarely one of lifetime monogamy. McInnes has been good wife material for AFC. His tenure has been defined by consistency and loyalty but hasn't always fulfilled its promise in the excitement stakes. Some of our fans are clearly getting bored at home. They're eyeing up the office nutter and thinking "would she give me a rusty trombone?".

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    The thing is that the relationship between a club and a manager is very rarely one of lifetime monogamy. McInnes has been good wife material for AFC. His tenure has been defined by consistency and loyalty but hasn't always fulfilled its promise in the excitement stakes. Some of our fans are clearly getting bored at home. They're eyeing up the office nutter and thinking "would she give me a rusty trombone?".
    Good analogy. We should just remember that running off with the office nutter usually very quickly ends in tears.

I agree with your post above Don. I find it hard understanding fans who say we need to get to the next level. Realistically, when Hearts and Hibs are back to full strength and that lot get their act together, being top three every season would be an achievement knowing that we can be competitive in the cups. Staying where we are should be seen as a big enough challenge. If we lose DM, it could all quickly unravel. Crowds are up. The majority enjoy going to Pittodrie feeling we’ll win most games. Last season was the best for years. This season hasn’t been as good though.

It would nice to think that Chairman Milne will fight tooth and nail to keep him. But does he have the balls.
    Milne needs to show some bottle for once, get DM in a small room and tell Delboy why Newco would be the worst move in the world for him and the benefits of staying at Aberdeen.
    Agree, that if a decent English team came in then a gentleman's agreement he can go if he wants.
    But to let him go to the team we hate more than anyone else would detrimental to AFC and shamefull.
    Worst case scenario he goes, my god Pittordrie will be a depressing place and just watch our players leave, crowds down and turnover dropping alarmingly.
    However, I dont see DM going now as everyone knows Newco are in a very darkplace right now, average pool of players and a inept chairman and board who are the laughting stock of football

Quote Originally Posted by xtrmntr75 View Post
    Last season was the best for years. This season hasn’t been as good though.
    Depends what you are comparing. We were pretty poor at the start of last season chalking up a chain of really drab draws and a serious spanking from the Timmies. By comparison, this season our points tally is circa 45% better after 11 games.

Waiting for an English job is a very risky strategy for DM. He only got offered the Sunderland job because they’re f*cked & have a Hun infestation

My pub gossip is saying that England is where he wants to be but that might become a possibility if he does a half decent job at Iprix

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post

My pub gossip is saying that England is where he wants to be but that might become a possibility if he does a half decent job at Iprix
    Offers from England are already a reality. Logically then he should stay put and continue to do a decent job at afc, remove any 'might' out of the equation.

What offers?

Page 8 of 135 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast