+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Forget about signing today Millers

The one thing that strikes myself as a neutral is the lack of some sort of plan .

It seems a bit of a muddle with all due respect , I'm aware that as a fan of another club it's not always looked upon favourably to criticise but I'm without bias and emotion and I try to be constructive .

Two players who you were linked with recently are a case in point , Kayden Jackson for that kind of money is out of reach and it's possibly the same with the lad Holmes at Scunny , forget it because it's the wrong market given your finances .

The trick is to take Kayden Jackson off Barnsley for nowt or the previous club Holmes played at before he joined Scunny .

Sign Kieffer Moore from Ipswich Town ? , no buy him from Forest Green Rovers for ten bob and a spuggy's egg as Ipswich did .

We've bought two kids this week , possibly cost us around 800k in total , the 18 year old from Bury cost us 500k and we've loaned him back till January , the young kid from Huddersfield will challenge for a place at right back , both have immense potential , Huddersfield fans can't believe they've let him go .

Personally and because I'm a man who wants my team to get promoted straight back to the championship this season I'd have sooner seen the 800k spent on a striker to bsck Moore and Bradshaw up ....

However , the club have a long term plan and given the players we've found and turned in to million pound players of late who am I to argue against this philosophy , indeed the 800k spend came from a sell on fee collected from Alfie Mawson's move to Fulham , a player we recruited for nowt and brought in over £7m .

You have to start getting the way you recruit right , where you can reasonably expect to land your targets instead of feeling frustrated when you are outbid .

I'm not suggesting we have the perfect plan by any means because last season we were relegated and many of us were very frustrated to say the least , £8m of cr@p .

Things is they aren't , last season was a step too high at that stage , see where they are in 12 months .

The last crop went from rock bottom of league one to 7th in the championship in 12 months .

You need a recruitment plan and a vision , the 2 year contract to Richard Wood at 33 years of age tells me there's much to improve on at the NYS but it can be done but you need to know your market with recruitment and I don't believe you do and hence this transfer window has sadly passed you by .

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I doubt whether there are any posters on here who can say (with any authority) that they fully understand the complexities of running a football club. Isn't the bottom line that two of the sources of income for the club are largely unaffected by league position - TS has the same amount of money available to spend on the club, ticket sales are restricted by the size of the ground and the amount that people are willing to pay for tickets does not appear to be significantly increased by promotion?

It's beyond doubt that costs increase with promotion, which is why the majority of clubs lose money irrespective of which league they are in.

In the final analysis, is there any point in 22 grown men kicking a bag of wind around a field.
    Ticket sales may be restricted by the size of the ground but they are also affected by the way a team plays and the results it is getting. Better the results, bigger the size of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Go back 10 years and most millers would snap your hand off to be a champ/lge 1 yo-yo team and a 4 yearly visit to London
    If you go back 12 years most Millers would snatch your hand off to be a yo yo club.

A £2M in the red on the last accounts and loans going in along with Sponsorship cash suggests costs outstrip revenue although I admit I'm not an accountant and haven't scrutinised the accounts, neither do I wish to.

If I had £10M spare there's no way I would invest in football !!

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Very very rarely will you hear me say anything bad about the club but I really feel let down at the moment. If we have failed to get a midfielder in because we were waiting on Richie Towell then we deserve to go down.

If we stay up this season then we have to be more professional in recruitment next season.
    It all depends if you believe the management or not.
    The official line is...
    " Two bids were put in unfortunately the club's concerned didn't have replacements "
    No deals done and we await Friday's outcome.....if any !

Here's my take on it for what it's worth and I don't actually know. Just doing my Sherlock bit. Based on what warney said yesterday, I think the possible two loanees will be the lads from Wycombe and northampt on. Why do I say this? Well Warne y said that it would be too long a journey for a signing today for him to train. That suggests a club quite far off ie wycombe. It also suggests that bothplayers will be permos in Jan if they are waiting for other club replacements hence my feeling it is these 2. This should also appease those who say we don't sign anyone permo even though the perm o window has now shut. Of course, it could be someone else completely. It probably rules out a pre m league starlet and towel because thet don't need replacing. We shall see one way or tother eh?

If we do get em both that will be our loanee allocation used up so no more players till Jan unless non contract.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    The one thing that strikes myself as a neutral is the lack of some sort of plan

The trick is to take Kayden Jackson off Barnsley for nowt or the previous club Holmes played at before he joined Scunny .

Sign Kieffer Moore from Ipswich Town ? , no buy him from Forest Green Rovers for ten bob and a spuggy's egg as Ipswich did .

We've bought two kids this week , possibly cost us around 800k in total , the 18 year old from Bury cost us 500k and we've loaned him back till January , the young kid from Huddersfield will challenge for a place at right back , both have immense potential , Huddersfield fans can't believe they've let him go.
    Easier said than done - you need a good Head of Recruitment and scouting system, which we (unlike Barnsley) don't appear to have. Until we put that right, we are stuck. When we have tried that approach, we have only turned up Bray, Onariase and Purrington - who have not been good enough to be regular first team players and effectively have no sell on value. About the only player we have paid a fee for ,who is probably worth more now than we signed him, is Vaulks - and that's likely to be much less than £1 million
    Last edited by mikemiller; 10-08-2018 at 07:27 AM.

Interesting one this morning:

@JohnEScout
    8m8 minutes ago
    More
    Rotherham. Trying to get one in today, London based Club, Season long loan #rufc #millers

Might suggest the Wycombe lad again but then again seasons long loan suggests not. Maybe a prem London club? Maybe a Brentford player with them taking pity on us from last week. Maybe they think they have the answer for our weaknesses. They've given us loans before eg Onariase who admittedly dunt seem much cop.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Easier said than done - you need a good Head of Recruitment and scouting system, which we (unlike Barnsley) don't appear to have. Until we put that right, we are stuck. When we have tried that approach, we have only turned up Bray, Onariase and Purrington - who have not been good enough to be regular first team players and effectively have no sell on value. About the only player we have paid a fee for ,who is probably worth more now than we signed him, is Vaulks - and that's likely to be much less than £1 million
    I don't think it's that they are particularly good Mike it's more to do with putting more hours and resources in to it .

They make mistakes and some don't come off , Mallan , Knassmullner and Pearson and McCarthy signed last summer have left the club recently but we got our money back less wages and still have a future interest as we did with Kayden Jackson and collected 30% of the fee from his move to Ipswich ..

I'm not saying this is going to have us challenging in the championship at some stage because it won't , what happens then as we've seen is that big bids come in for our players and they are moved on but all things equal it gives us an opportunity to have championship football within budget and without huge debts .

That is all any of us can reasonably expect in today's football world , self sufficiency and the opportunity of championship football and able to manage relegation without the wheels falling off completely .

It's frustrating when the players leave but it's an ongoing process and in all honesty just about the only plan that has any chance of delivering financial stability and given us a chance on the field .

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Interesting one this morning:

@JohnEScout
    8m8 minutes ago
    More
    Rotherham. Trying to get one in today, London based Club, Season long loan #rufc #millers
    Might suggest the Wycombe lad again but then again seasons long loan suggests not. Maybe a prem London club? Maybe a Brentford player with them taking pity on us from last week. Maybe they think they have the answer for our weaknesses. They've given us loans before eg Onariase who admittedly dunt seem much cop.
    Why not someone from Crystal Palace or Fulham roly ?
    instead of Brentford or Wycombe.

The thick plottens lol...

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast