+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: David Duckenfield.

This one

You come across as though the Liverpudlians were somehow justified in what they did [/quote]

The suggestion being that as there was some History between Roma and Liverpool revenge was justified against another Italian team.
    That isn,t an excuse for rioting leading to a lot of people dying and a huge number were injured.

Aside from that many of the victims weren't even Italian

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Balance? No problem
    Local Belgians were also killed. I don,t think they were rioting

Six hundred people were injured.

Football violence was quite common then but people dying in such large numbers was not common

I don,t there,s any justification whatsoever between what Roma fans may have done to Lpool sometime in the past and then them killing 39 or so people some of which were locals enjoying a big match
    There isn't any justification flour but in my opinion people died at Heysel because the stadium was totally not fit for purpose and more of a consequence than the Liverpool fans attacking the Juve supporters .

I've been in football grounds back in the day when it's kicked off in similar circumstances and nobody died as a consequence .

Just to add something here I don't subscribe to Liverpool fans having some kind of angelic status , far from it , I remember only too well walking back to Lime Street after our league cup quarter final in 82 and a number of our fans getting slashed with stanley knifes .

It is what it is , I don't think all Rotherham fans are violent morons either despite getting peltered with bricks , bottles and coins down Millmoor Lane in the early 80's .

The suggestion being that as there was some History between Roma and Liverpool revenge was justified against another Italian team.
    That isn,t an excuse for rioting leading to a lot of people dying and a huge number were injured.

Aside from that many of the victims weren't even Italian
    As a younger man I went out to Turin in 1980 to see England's first game against Belgium at the European Championship .

I can tell you even back then Juve's finest were more than up to giving us a good hiding .

The Italians on their own patch wasn't for the faint hearted I can tell you , forget about the police they weren't interested in us English .

They attacked us at our campsite two nights running and nobody from England had caused any bother what so ever at that point .

What happened at Heysel should never happen but I've never thought Juve fans were all innocent either , an extremely bad collection of events led to that tragedy .

We,ll have to disagree on that one Animal.
    Even if the stadium was better quality there would still have been serious injury and probably some fatalities but perhaps not as many.
    Lpool fans don,t riot then no gets gets hurt or dies.

I too have been at Rotherham games when it has kicked off but never to that scale
    Unfortunately We have had a fatality at one of our games where there was serious disorder. This was on Millmoor Lane but if there was anything good to come out of that day it was that only one person lost their life and order was restored after the incident

39 dead and 600 injured is a consequence of prolonged rioting

I can,t see how a stadium can be blamed for that scale of disorder

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    As a younger man I went out to Turin in 1980 to see England's first game against Belgium at the European Championship .

I can tell you even back then Juve's finest were more than up to giving us a good hiding .

The Italians on their own patch wasn't for the faint hearted I can tell you , forget about the police they weren't interested in us English .

They attacked us at our campsite two nights running and nobody from England had caused any bother what so ever at that point .

What happened at Heysel should never happen but I've never thought Juve fans were all innocent either , an extremely bad collection of events led to that tragedy .
    That,s not much of a holiday. Sounds terrible

Good win today btw. Shoots of recovery perhaps?
    Hull fans are no angels either

I went to Germany for the 88 euros where there was plenty of trouble reported at home .

Nobody mentioned the Dutch fans in Dusseldorf pelting us with everything they could get their hands on inside the stadium , they were to our right and left that day and we were totally surrounded with just one section of terracing , the Dutch had the whole ground .

England aren't no angels , we drink too much and act appallingly at times abroad , seen it with my own eyes but that said I've seen the other side too .

We may feck up a few accumulators up now and again but staying up ?

Not for me mate unless the recruitment policy changes .

The wife of a friend of mine went to watch England away to Turkey in the eighties.
    It was with a previous boyfriend before she met my friend and they were staying in a hotel in a group of about 30 Burnley fans.
    The local Turks got wind of it, surrounded the hotel for two days and spent the whole time trying to get at them. No police anywhere and it was so dangerous that the group never actually got to the match. The only thing that saved their skins was the owner of the hotel and his sons who somehow managed to keep the locals at bay.

What a date that was for Helen. Obviously she binned him when she got home

The wife of a friend of mine went to watch England away to Turkey in the eighties.
    It was with a previous boyfriend before she met my friend and they were staying in a hotel in a group of about 30 Burnley fans.
    The local Turks got wind of it, surrounded the hotel for two days and spent the whole time trying to get at them. No police anywhere and it was so dangerous that the group never actually got to the match. The only thing that saved their skins was the owner of the hotel and his sons who somehow managed to keep the locals at bay.

What a date that was for Helen. Obviously she binned him when she got home
    Seen some things Flour during my time following England abroad .

Had some of the best times in my life and some frightening escapades .

Still see the four of us setting off to the 82 world cup in Spain in a barely road worthy Hillman Avenger plus two tents .

We were supposedly going for as long as England were in the tournament but in fact we only managed the opening game against France .

We bought match tickets from a newsagents kiosk in the centre of Bilbao I kid you not .

We hadn't bargained for the bar owners in Bilbao doubling the prices because it was the world cup , we drank ourselves stupid and ran out of money in days .

We basically got home by the skin of our teeth , skint and hadn't eaten for two days .

I've been tear gassed , water cannoned and met fans from other clubs who I still communicate with today .

The last straw was getting attacked by Tunisians in Marseille at the 98 world cup , thought I've had enough of this shyte getting too old for this capper .

I occasionally go to England games at Wembley but that's as far as I go these days .

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast