+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: O/T Best Cafs in Rotherham 70's and 80's

Quote Originally Posted by rileyev.the.third View Post
    My Aunty Margaret worked in the Whitehall for years, as a treat my Mum would take me for a milkshake, served in a proper milkshake glass, loads of froth on the top. My Mum always had a milky coffee, nowadays that would be a latte I suppose.

I liked the Omnibus cafe at the front of the bus station personally, mainly because it had a fruit machine in it ha ha.
    Came out of the omnibus cafe one afternoon with a pal of mine in 1967 is name is Dave Newsome of Rawmarsh we had bought purple jeans from Paul Rex wearing them with a coloured shirt and a film Crewe asked us to walk back and forward then gave us a fiver each They were an Italian film company never did get to see the movies haha.

Remember going in the Omnibus cafe when I was a kid,my mum loved the scones in there, we used to call them "Corporation Scones " !

Fond memories of the little cafe at the back of the indoor market. Did a great chip butty.
    Mum and a couple of aunties worked in the market so would hang around as a kid on Saturdays or sick days off school. Loved browing the record shop at the top entrance off Howard st? And the Pandora's box stall for proper 80s fashion

Remember having many a cream bun in Ring O Bells next to Danny Williams Sports shop. Favourite was an elephants paw.

My sister used to work at Graftons & her husband worked at Fletchers Bakery. My memory plays tricks on me but am sure they had their wedding reception at Davys Cafe (seem to remember it overlooking All Saints square?) but it was 55 years ago.

Remember used to have bag (tripe) and chitlens soaked in vinegar but couldn’t/wouldn’t eat it now. Makes me ill to think I liked it. Mind you there was loads of tripe served up at Millmoor at the time so maybe that’s why I went off it.

Quote Originally Posted by Milesaway View Post
    Fond memories of the little cafe at the back of the indoor market. Did a great chip butty.
    Mum and a couple of aunties worked in the market so would hang around as a kid on Saturdays or sick days off school. Loved browing the record shop at the top entrance off Howard st? And the Pandora's box stall for proper 80s fashion
    Milesaway, the record shop was called Sound of Music. Often called in there on my lunch break from the Tech College. Asked for a record to be played then go and stand in a booth with a maté listening to it. If I recall correctly there were only three booths you good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Milesaway, the record shop was called Sound of Music. Often called in there on my lunch break from the Tech College. Asked for a record to be played then go and stand in a booth with a maté listening to it. If I recall correctly there were only three booths you good use.

Used sound of music alot dapper little bloke ran it. Can anyone remember in woolworths they had like cover versions of hit singles that were cheaper think called them embassy records.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Used sound of music alot dapper little bloke ran it. Can anyone remember in woolworths they had like cover versions of hit singles that were cheaper think called them embassy records.
    Yes, they also had other labels, Camden, Hallmark, Pickwick and a few others

My sister used to buy them and got teased by me about the artists sounding nothing like the originals

I used to go to the bloke in Rotherham market who sold ex juke box singles. All ok if you had one of those plastic adapters to fill the big hole in the middle of the record so you could put them on a standard spindle

Sound Of Music was a great shop,it was up for sale in 1986,and we viewed it ,and almost bought it,but the numbers didn't quite add up for us.
    Nearly 40 years later and I'm still collecting vinyl, up to about 3500 albums now.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    Sound Of Music was a great shop,it was up for sale in 1986,and we viewed it ,and almost bought it,but the numbers didn't quite add up for us.
    Nearly 40 years later and I'm still collecting vinyl, up to about 3500 albums now.

Who do you reckon are best band from naughties onwards me between 2 Libertines done some classic stuff. Vaccines just shade it stronger overall albums. Artic Monkeys they've lost their identity somewhat their last 2 albums I didn't get at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    Remember having many a cream bun in Ring O Bells next to Danny Williams Sports shop. Favourite was an elephants paw.

My sister used to work at Graftons & her husband worked at Fletchers Bakery. My memory plays tricks on me but am sure they had their wedding reception at Davys Cafe (seem to remember it overlooking All Saints square?) but it was 55 years ago.

Remember used to have bag (tripe) and chitlens soaked in vinegar but couldn’t/wouldn’t eat it now. Makes me ill to think I liked it. Mind you there was loads of tripe served up at Millmoor at the time so maybe that’s why I went off it.
    Yes, I was ok with the tripe and vinegar, but couldn’t stand the other types of offal

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast