+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 867 of 923 FirstFirst ... 367767817857865866867868869877917 ... LastLast
Results 8,661 to 8,670 of 9227

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Imo and for now that matters, Thicky is just a nickname although it’s a bit childish. rear gunner is just a description of a perceived habit but likewise a bit childish (although more imaginative than Thicky) and it’d be nice to think both have run their course. Gammon is a perjorative term based on skin tone and the jury’s out on whether it’s hate speech. Let’s assume that anyone using it in future is that way inclined as well as struggling to make a point in conventional ways - that’s its common use elsewhere on social media. Just suggestions, and note that one requires compliance from me

It is difficult yes. To be fair Tricky has been called a Forest fan lots of times and i cannot think of anything more insulting than that.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    That is the problem rA, political 'discussion' nearly always becomes emotive, then aggressive and finally thoroughly nasty. I was once, in a previous life, actively involved in the local Labour Party. Now, you'd think that with like political leanings everyone would sing from the same hymn sheet! Far from it, some of the back-stabbing, in-fighting, spite, nastiness and even physical aggression was unbelievable. I didn't survive long!
    My best mate was similarly involved with the Liberals and his experience was not much different to mine though perhaps a little less excessive.
    We concluded that politics wasn't for us and stuck to more enjoyable pastimes involving DCFC and real ale Pubs!!
    I think Mac you describe what happens whenever two or more human beings are gathered together! Inevitably cliques, disagreements and arguments break out.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I’d agree if even 20% of the posts were mature discussion, but they haven’t been, and I doubt if all the preaching has moved anyone’s view 1%
    there is a difference between preaching and laying out the facts, now if those who choose wish to disregard the facts and maintain a fantasy well they can't expect sympathy, but I agree, any criticism should be couched in more respectful terms, so will endeavour to do that in future.

Gammon is a pejorative term not solely based on skin tone, though, more the florid faced older white person who moans about how fings ain't what they used to be!

Or this definition - Gammon is a pejorative popularised in British political culture since around 2012. The term refers in particular to the colour of a person's flushed face when expressing their strong opinions, as compared to the type of pork of the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I think Mac you describe what happens whenever two or more human beings are gathered together! Inevitably cliques, disagreements and arguments break out.
    Unfortunately, that's true swale! I suppose it's the in-built competitive streak that's sustained homosapien since nature spawned the species!

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    It is difficult yes. To be fair Tricky has been called a Forest fan lots of times and i cannot think of anything more insulting than that.
    There's always one that has to go too far. Very third tier comment, (cough)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Imo and for now that matters, Thicky is just a nickname although it’s a bit childish. rear gunner is just a description of a perceived habit but likewise a bit childish (although more imaginative than Thicky) and it’d be nice to think both have run their course. Gammon is a perjorative term based on skin tone and the jury’s out on whether it’s hate speech. Let’s assume that anyone using it in future is that way inclined as well as struggling to make a point in conventional ways - that’s its common use elsewhere on social media. Just suggestions, and note that one requires compliance from me
    I agree about ‘Thicky’...it’s an obvious and childish nickname. Calling yourself Tricky is actually inviting it, but it’s juvenile...we’re adults so let’s do without it.

‘Rear gunner’ is only ever aimed at me...and always only in connection with Swale. That’s ridiculous...I seldom disagree with Swale over politics...that’s true...but then I equally rarely disagree with mac, MA and Sith but receive no ‘abuse’ for that. Frankly I don’t give a duck, it’s a piece of nonsense dreamt up by GP and sometimes also used by Tricky and Andy. Why that should be...I don’t know...neither do I care, but again...we’re adults so what’s the point?

I don’t think ‘gammon’ is a ‘pejorative term based on skin tone’...I think it’s a p*ss take out of indignant white older males who’s faces become flushed with anger in certain situations. Personally I wouldn’t use it because it opens the user up to accusations which compromise his/her original argument. Another we could do without imo.

A final point on the question of a second moderator. You have repeatedly (and privately) told me that being a mod isn’t ‘easy’, AF.
    I’m sure you’re right and I can’t imagine why anyone would want to be one...but you undoubtedly did and actually filled Rats’ shoes astonishingly quickly.
    Let’s be honest...if everything was all fine and dandy on the forum we wouldn’t have had the discussions of the last couple of days and we wouldn’t have had just one new ‘signing’ (Sith...assuming Ramshank is actually a ‘returnee’) in the last God knows how long...so why not lessen the load and give MA a go?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 16-02-2023 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I agree about ‘Thicky’...it’s an obvious and childish nickname. Calling yourself Tricky is actually inviting it, but it’s juvenile...we’re adults so let’s do without it.

‘Rear gunner’ is only ever aimed at me...and always only in connection with Swale. That’s ridiculous...I seldom disagree with Swale over politics...that’s true...but then I equally rarely disagree with mac, MA and Sith but receive no ‘abuse’ for that. Frankly I don’t give a duck, it’s a piece of nonsense dreamt up by GP and sometimes also used by Tricky and Andy. Why that should be...I don’t know...neither do I care, but again...we’re adults so what’s the point?

I don’t think ‘gammon’ is a ‘pejorative term based on skin tone’...I think it’s a p*ss take out of indignant white older males who’s faces become flushed with anger in certain situations. Personally I wouldn’t use it because it opens the user up to accusations which compromise his/her original argument. Another we could do without imo.

A final point on the question of a second moderator. You have repeatedly (and privately) told me that being a mod isn’t ‘easy’, AF.
    I’m sure you’re right and I can’t imagine why anyone would want to be one...but you undoubtedly did and actually filled Rats’ shoes astonishingly quickly.
    Let’s be honest...if everything was all fine and dandy on the forum we wouldn’t have had the discussions of the last couple of days and we wouldn’t have had just one new ‘signing’ (Sith...assuming Ramshank is actually a ‘returnee’) in the last God knows how long...so why not lessen the load and give MA a go?
    I think he's answered that question already a few times....

You don't get rear gunner comments for agreeing with Mac MA etc as the Sopwith Camel can only hold 2 flyers IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I think he's answered that question already a few times....

You don't get rear gunner comments for agreeing with Mac MA etc as the Sopwith Camel can only hold 2 flyers IIRC
    Actually he hasn’t. He’s suggested that admin don’t answer emails therefore it can’t happen.
    I had to contact admin once having got ‘locked out’.
    Admittedly it was a while a go but they answered very quickly and helpfully. They also seemed to act with remarkable rapidity when AF took over from Rats.
    Either way...if they don’t answer the conclusion has to be that they don’t care and if they don’t care why don’t we just go our own sweet way if that’s what people think would be helpful?
    What would happen if, perish the thought, Andy was incapacitated for some reason or, during one of his comparatively many jaunts, a problem arose that he was unable to deal with?
    Truth is we’d probably ‘elect’ another mod and carry on regardless, pretty much as happened when Rats gave way...and no...before you try and suggest otherwise, I’m not suggesting that’s what Andy should do.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Actually he hasn’t. He’s suggested that admin don’t answer emails therefore it can’t happen.
    I had to contact admin once having got ‘locked out’.
    Admittedly it was a while a go but they answered very quickly and helpfully. They also seemed to act with remarkable rapidity when AF took over from Rats.
    Either way...if they don’t answer the conclusion has to be that they don’t care and if they don’t care why don’t we just go our own sweet way if that’s what people think would be helpful?
    What would happen if, perish the thought, Andy was incapacitated for some reason or, during one of his comparatively many jaunts, a problem arose that he was unable to deal with?
    Truth is we’d probably ‘elect’ another mod and carry on regardless, pretty much as happened when Rats gave way...and no...before you try and suggest otherwise, I’m not suggesting that’s what Andy should do.
    I'm not sure we have the power to do that though ... It's not our house, we are but tenants and can't decide who the land agent is. Also how would we get the admin power button (or whatever it is) to pass on to someone else if Andy carks it or net equivalent?

So if he can't contact HQ as Bloomer used to call it, what makes you think mere subscribers could get anywhere?

Page 867 of 923 FirstFirst ... 367767817857865866867868869877917 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)