+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Should Steve Davis be our Manager next season?

re: Should Steve Davis be our Manager next season?

Please PLEASE, re read Alexman and Trinidad's posts again and again all those that think we are going in the right direction. Both posters are articulate, accurate and factual and get right to the point unlike me who goes into rant mode. Out of frustration that just because things worked at one time, that has to be the ONLY way forward. We have a succession plan for the manager like some ancient dynasty and yet it was a disaster in Steve Holland. And yet they want the very same plan still for Collins et al? Thordasson was sacked and yet SD results are far worse. Some fans have been lured into the clubs spin that we would no longer be a league club without the academy AND even a Cat2 academy now. That is NOT true because most of the L1 and L2 don't have any size of academy like we do other than Colchester and one other and yet they don't moan the whole time they are on the verge of disaster or non league. Yes, some clubs do go into non league and some bounce back and some don'

Quote Originally Posted by Alexman

This club is going down to the non league unless there is HUGE change. If we are going to keep a Cat 2 Academy, we need a manager who knows what he's doing, we need to change our philosophy from only using the Academy to Fund the Academy/Club to using the academy to get up the tables and produce a club we can be proud to support. IF this is not possible due to the high costs/low crowds we get then we need to rethink the clubs future in regards to the academy and what direction the club wants to go in. Now im sure the people running our club are well aware of this, im just not sure they know what to do about it. ....

Alexman - do you know what to do about it? It's easier said than done to find the right man to manage the emergence of our Academy players. Perhaps they could try, with a leap of faith; that would be fair enough because of Davis's poor results. There is no 'halfway house' between Categories Two & Three.

I think those who genuinely believe we will be well clear of relegation in League Two are going to be in for a nasty shock. Like at Tranmere and Stockport, a losing culture has set in here. If you make no attempt to change that culture, confidence will decrease and we'll only descend to lower depths.

Tranmere went down from League One, got rid of the man who scored literally half their goals in Ryan Lowe, didn't replace him and were deservedly relegated after Micky Adams brought in a whole new squad which unsettled the present players. We cannot score goals in abundance for toffee and we're going to be losing our top scoring attacking players in Inman and Haber by the Summer whilst retaining our leaky defence featuring the overpaid and crocked Davis, incompetent Ray, inconsistent yet talented Nugent who needs to sort out his mental approach and the very under-appreciated Jon Guthrie who can't do it all on his own.

If you don't have goals and you concede tons, you will struggle.

No half way house between Cat2 and Cat3 Derek?

Dario did it all BEFORE the PL dreamt up these mass employment schemes for non footballers. The TUC would be very proud of taking also rans off the dole that would find it difficult to get a job in B&Q!

Vale decided they don't even want any academy and why would they, when they can sign our players and others in fact just like most other clubs do...You may want to revisit just how many academies produce players good enough for their first teams? With respect you watch too many youth games as do the coaches like Dario and can't see there is another world out there of hundreds and hundreds of late ****s and mature footballers who would love to play league football...You want evidence? Ryan Lowe who is what aged 38 who stood out in the short time he was here and made the exact point Trinidad does...we are used to losing and heads drop and have no motivation and it takes Lowe to recognise that and we have a Chairman and board who

I suspect a lot of that 26 million transfer income went in others pockets and not the academy and maybe that is the real reason they persist with it? How come the accounts don't show the REAL profit and loss account? How much is in cash right now could answer that very question?

Like at Tranmere and Stockport, a losing culture has set in here. If you make no attempt to change that culture, confidence will decrease and we'll only descend to lower depths.
    But they DID "change" their Manager, players etc. TNO/SM? An odd example then of what can go wrong if you don't change your Manager...

I think like bigroof wrote earlier, most supporters are as frustrated as you. But there are few certainties in what you write, no guaranteed solutions.

A big problem I have during poor times for our football club, like we're going through now, is the amount of revisionism that goes on, how opinion somehow morphs into fact etc. TNO stated on a previous post, for example, that Davis is the most negative Manager he's ever seen. But who believes he'd have thought that after the two Wembley wins?

Davis, so the revisionists propose, was only ever successful at the outset because he had Powell, Westwood and Murphy at his disposal. Do we overlook the fact

[quote="MikeSB"]No half way house between Cat2 and Cat3 Derek?

Dario did it all BEFORE the PL dreamt up these mass employment schemes for non footballers. The TUC would be very proud of taking also rans off the dole that would find it difficult to get a job in B&Q!

Vale decided they don't even want any academy and why would they, when they can sign our players and others in fact just like most other clubs do...You may want to revisit just how many academies produce players good enough for their first teams? With respect you watch too many youth games as do the coaches like Dario and can't see there is another world out there of hundreds and hundreds of late ****s and mature footballers who would love to play league football...You want evidence? Ryan Lowe who is what aged 38 who stood out in the short time he was here and made the exact point Trinidad does...we are used to losing and heads drop and have no motivation and it takes Lowe to recognise t

Now don't get me wrong what Dario, Bowler and others have achieved with this football club should never be undermined. What they have done is turned a club from the depths of Div 4 with less than 2k crowds, to a League 1 outfit with a Category 2 academy with Crowds of minimum of 3.5k. The fact that we are debating a future of this club the way we are is all in credit to what they have done. However this club in new world isn't working any more and we as a club need to move forward.

Do I know what to do about it? Of course I don't. I've never managed a football club. I have nothing but respect for the people that do run our club despite questioning the way they are currently running it, and we all should do too.

But surely changing the manager has to be step 1 on the agenda. People have questioned my posts more than once about "quick fix" mentality and "it's easier said than done". To me changing a manager isn't as much of a big deal as some people are making out. Many clubs ch

We were in a downward spiral initially under Dario and then Thord... Holland and unfortunately Dario again. (At least he left us with a great legacy) The cycle was only broken when SD took the rains. Why!! I don't know, possibly because the young players at the time, who were obviously good, came of age and responded to him. Who can honestly say that the current stock of players ( incl. academy) and loanees are of the same ilk. They are POOR, as a consequence we are on a downward spiral again, exacerbated by the successive cost cutbacks. Who is to blame!!! SD for his management, obviously, he signed and released the playing staff. If he was ham strung by the financial position he should have been more vocal. Secondly the Board; which dingbat said they knew what they are doing??? If the best we can now achieve in financial recompense for any academy ''starlets'' is a season in the first team and a few hundred grand. Look at the playing surface, a disgrace because of the lack of for-si

Really good post's by Alexman and Trinidad. I rarely post but when I have the same posters on this forum knock back any kind of dissent towards anything Crewe.
    I have called for Davis's sacking for the past 3 season's. His tactics are ancient, his unwillingness to make subs annoying, signing's terrible, pre-season preparation a disgrace, insistence on loan signing's boring, interview pre match and post match predictable and the fact he never takes the blame for any of the above shocking.
    Since the Cornwall affair he has lost the plot.
    As the above guys have said it's a results business. Thanks Steve for JPT and promotion but like with Dario we are back where you found us.
    I can accept Relegation but it's the fact we have made no effort to beat the drop that has really annoyed me this time.
    Why should we pay hard earned money on a club that isn't prepared to give anything back. Football is all about ambition. Be the best you can but Crewe's motto is we will go where our player's ta

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast