+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Jezzer turns his back on the referendum result

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Please find the post you are accusing me of because I'm pretty sure I said no such thing. My position was and remains that a major constitutional change should require a 2/3 majority.
    Especially if the result goes against your vote, been interesting what your thoughts would have been if the result went your way.
    I think I know your answer NOW

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I don't think I've ever been called 'Snobhead' before.

Is it a compliment or an insult?
    Pleaseletitbeaninsultpleaseletitbeaninsultpleasele titbeaninsult!!!

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Especially if the result goes against your vote, been interesting what your thoughts would have been if the result went your way.
    If the result had been remain, and with the same sort of voting turnout, it wouldn't have been a problem at all!! It would have been the will of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    If the result had been remain, and with the same sort of voting turnout, it wouldn't have been a problem at all!! It would have been the will of the people.

It would have been a problem had a 52/48 result to remain have been seen by the government as a green light to adopt the Euro and the Schengen agreement, a sort of 'Hard Remain'. As a remainer I would not have been happy with this as I would have seen it as divisive and not what was campaigned for.

The Leave camp campaigned on the basis of more money for the NHS and many within the official vote leave camp said that if we voted to leave we would be foolish to leave even the single market (let alone the customs union). There was no talk of a hard Brexit and the threat this poses to the UK Economy. That's the real issue here, there is absolutely no mandate for the governments current Brexit stance, the will of the people it certainly is not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xGt3QmRSZY

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    It would have been a problem had a 52/48 result to remain have been seen by the government as a green light to adopt the Euro and the Schengen agreement, a sort of 'Hard Remain'. As a remainer I would not have been happy with this as I would have seen it as divisive and not what was campaigned for.

The Leave camp campaigned on the basis of more money for the NHS and many within the official vote leave camp said that if we voted to leave we would be foolish to leave even the single market (let alone the customs union). There was no talk of a hard Brexit and the threat this poses to the UK Economy. That's the real issue here, there is absolutely no mandate for the governments current Brexit stance, the will of the people it certainly is not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xGt3QmRSZY
    Yes I understand that. I was being sarky towards sidders.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    Pleaseletitbeaninsultpleaseletitbeaninsultpleasele titbeaninsult!!!
    The dark equine one hasn't confirmed or denied yet Smiffy, but if he does I don't think you'll be disappointed.

A good fun EP old mate.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    That's the bit I don't get about fervent Brexiteers. Some say "We won the vote so everyone should get behind Brexit". Why should they?
    It's like saying "Tories / Labour got most seats in our democratic election so everyone should support Tories / Labour". Of course they shouldn't, everyone should stand up for what they believe in.

And that effective poster, Elite, is right. Any change in our constitution of this magnitude needed a better voting mechanism - like two-thirds of the people required to say 'Leave'.
    The referendum rules were written by Remainers. They were confident of victory, but not of a supermajority. Because of this, they decided that the referendum only required a simple majority.

For your edification, Hayle. Enjoy. This states the case better than I ever could,

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ower-permanent
    Thanks for that Sid. Fairly unconvincing if I'm honest. With your journalistic head on you have to admit it’s very thin re the Tories being a threat to democracy. Stacking the Lords to make it winner-friendly is standard stuff, boundary changes were accepted by all sides and (as stated) the integrity of the Commission involved has never been questioned. Altering the way one registered to vote was sneaky but easily overcome – so no democratic rights removed, and the rest of the piece has ‘proposed’ this and that but did any of it come to pass? Do I detect a bit of confirmation-bias? After all it’s a piece from 2015 mainly aimed at Osborne by an anti-Tory journalist.

However, bad Tories don't explain love for the EU. It doesn't take away from the corruption and dodgy-dealings, or the lack of democracy, transparency, and oversight (examples galore available). You are swapping one potential monster for one already with us - a much bigger one over which you have no control. Big business/finance is running the EU, the environment is being trashed on their watch, tax evasion is taking place on a massive scale, trade deals are done to keep the rich rich and the poor down (globally). The Customs Union you want to remain in is designed to protect producers - not consumers. Market protection (sooooo bad when its Trump, OK when its the EU) likewise. You rail against Tory austerity in the UK but accept EU austerity elsewhere. Douglas Hogg's duckhouse had you guys in fits but the snouts-in-trough MEPs are overlooked. Going over old ground here Sid so nearly duck-out time for me. I simply cannot understand lefty-love for the EU. It's a capitalist big boys club on steroids - that is why Benn, Corbyn etc opposed it for all these years (and let's face it, JC still does). And I'm supposed to be the guy on the Right!

I am not anti-EU per se but this beast is on a roll with little care for the wishes of the people. Macron, refreshingly, recently admitted that France would probably vote to leave the EU, Italy (amongst others) is increasingly unhappy. As a minimum, surely the project should be slowed, explained, everyone got on side, lives improved before moving on with the confidence of 500m people - the very 500m people the EU is there to serve. Instead the concerns of the people are treated with utter contempt; the EU is rushing into dodgy tax reforms, an EU army, budget increases, expansion into the W Balkans with more net-recipients joining etc etc. Today's problems are not yet sorted and the EU leadership is forging ahead with its invisible plan. Sid, my dear chap, is any of this barely logical?

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast