+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Leeds United - v - Burnley ***Matchday Thread***

WTF,

I believe you sincerely want what's best for LUFC. Your thoughts are sometimes spot on. I don't agree with all of them just as I'm sure you don't agree with mine. If we were sitting at a pub it would be banter and arguing but we'd agree on some things and disagree on others. I don't think we'd be screaming or punching each other.

Some thoughts for what it's worth. I am someone that was always straight ahead and aggressive on communication and business dealings. After several stints where I was deemed the problem and finally realizing that maybe I was part, or all of the problem, I finally paid attention in the self help classes. It was not easy. I don't like touchy feely soft skills type of lectures. I still fail miserably at times but do try.

The simplest and easiest thing was trying to be inclusive in writing and communicating. My work is a "team" atmosphere so I really try to avoid words such as I or you and focus more on us or them. If you think about it we are kind of a team of supporters. we don't get paid for any of this but it's a fun diversion from life. When we are communicating on the blog I try to think in terms of a team of individuals working toward a goal. while none of us have a say so on how the team is run it's still nice to have a place to say our piece. Not much different than sitting at a pub. Make the concept about the group and not personal.

Just my 2 cents. i still fight the tendency to attack and make something personal rather than a business or group concept. It's an ongoing process that requires effort for me.

To be fair and for what it’s worth - in the middle of last year’s lockdown you showed a lot more consideration and sometimes compassion on here with moments of kindness to others when some were struggling - hence I don’t get the reversion to aggression.

I also don’t always agree with you but you often make decent points or offer a different point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    WTF,

I believe you sincerely want what's best for LUFC. Your thoughts are sometimes spot on. I don't agree with all of them just as I'm sure you don't agree with mine. If we were sitting at a pub it would be banter and arguing but we'd agree on some things and disagree on others. I don't think we'd be screaming or punching each other.

Some thoughts for what it's worth. I am someone that was always straight ahead and aggressive on communication and business dealings. After several stints where I was deemed the problem and finally realizing that maybe I was part, or all of the problem, I finally paid attention in the self help classes. It was not easy. I don't like touchy feely soft skills type of lectures. I still fail miserably at times but do try.

The simplest and easiest thing was trying to be inclusive in writing and communicating. My work is a "team" atmosphere so I really try to avoid words such as I or you and focus more on us or them. If you think about it we are kind of a team of supporters. we don't get paid for any of this but it's a fun diversion from life. When we are communicating on the blog I try to think in terms of a team of individuals working toward a goal. while none of us have a say so on how the team is run it's still nice to have a place to say our piece. Not much different than sitting at a pub. Make the concept about the group and not personal.

Just my 2 cents. i still fight the tendency to attack and make something personal rather than a business or group concept. It's an ongoing process that requires effort for me.
    Not disagreeing with you one iota Spaldy, however examination of the posts that sparked off the particular tiff might bear examination?.

The issue on this thread (as often happens, but is very rarely remarked upon in the same manner as contributions I might make) was the personal abuse from a certain poster contained in post #69, generated because (presumably) they felt that disagreement with the general love-in regarding Bielsas hug qualified for such a comment. I believe my response was measured and temperate by comparison, and referred to a need to judge the teams performance against slightly more challenging opposition than that which was faced on Sunday, and celebrate accordingly.

Post #74 departed from anything previously posted, commencing with comments such as “Please could you stop your arguing style ["ad hominem"] - as attacking the person rather than the argument itself & then distorting the other person's argument and then attacking the distortion is rather tedious Mr WTF." (I fail to see how any of my posts on this thread attacked anyone, as opposed to querying why the hug was so remarkable, given the circumstances?) That same post ended, for reasons that defy reason, with the request to "kindly explain to me via a post 'exactly' what your wanting from Leeds Utd & how your clear formula solutions should be implemented where & how ?”

I don't mind any of this, although I do adopt differing posting styles over time, and according to circumstance and subject, as is common practice. I don't even mind to any great extent that those who post the kind of contributions referred to above escape any kind of censure, mild criticism or even the kind of thoughtful guidance given by you, quite the opposite.

Questioning others opinions is a large part of what a forum is all about, whereas mutual backslapping seems unlikely to generate much in the way of continuing debate.

And as to the comments in #82, my comments at that time were primarily with regards to the impact that lockdown was having, not LUFC, so relating to real life (and death) not the ephemera that football was, and is (Bill Shankly was soooooo wrong!).

Do you need a hug WTF 🤗🤗😊😊

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    Do you need a hug WTF 🤗🤗😊😊
    What do you think Billy?🤣

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    "Stop attacking the person....." having been called a w4anker simply because I'm not as enthused about a hug.

Neither was I "distorting" anything, simply suggesting that a victory against Burnley isn't sufficient to get all worked up about.

I made no suggestion as to what should be done at LUFC, the comment about the hug neither invited it nor needed it. I desist from such suggestions anyway, as my non-attendance at ER renders such opinions null and void.

I suggest you review again what I said in response to Whitestompers post, and the response I got, then please explain what basis you have for your criticisms.

Happy clapper I am not - have posted considered, consistent, positive, hopefully balanced informative opinions yes.

Less dewy-eyed than some ?
    We won, got 3 points & tamed Burnley tactical threats all over the pitch.

The hug & Very ordinary Burnley who didn't get physical ?
    The hug was/is emotion after watching his players adhere well to a well prepared tactical plan over 90 minutes stopping Burnley getting physical.

Roberts mentioned ?
    You simply cannot resist can you Mr Anonymous.

We have a squad/1st team capable of doing business in PL ?
    We put a 'team' out in horrendous circumstances yet again in a hyped up high pressure PL game.
    Again, players who have been in & out all performed well - what's not to admire or like about such a display.

West Ham, Everton, Villa, Newcastle ?
    Well, it's one game at a time & I'll like to see us play with a settled eleven and if that can happen we will beat them.
    I as a person like to give hugs & not ashamed to shed a tear nowadays as once I was 'bitter' about my health circumstances - looking back it was the wrong approach and via a huge 'team effort' around me I now feel the benefits of shedding the shackles I self imposed and that's what I see Bielsa doing with his wonderful inspirational personality that his players & staff are trying to reproduce in trust.

If you spend a day in Leeds you'll fully get what I mean as the city is fully behind the team - everyone from schools to elderly residential homes, I'm sorry your missing that experience.
    Happy New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Happy clapper I am not - have posted considered, consistent, positive, hopefully balanced informative opinions yes.

Less dewy-eyed than some ?
    We won, got 3 points & tamed Burnley tactical threats all over the pitch.

The hug & Very ordinary Burnley who didn't get physical ?
    The hug was/is emotion after watching his players adhere well to a well prepared tactical plan over 90 minutes stopping Burnley getting physical.

Roberts mentioned ?
    You simply cannot resist can you Mr Anonymous.

We have a squad/1st team capable of doing business in PL ?
    We put a 'team' out in horrendous circumstances yet again in a hyped up high pressure PL game.
    Again, players who have been in & out all performed well - what's not to admire or like about such a display.

West Ham, Everton, Villa, Newcastle ?
    Well, it's one game at a time & I'll like to see us play with a settled eleven and if that can happen we will beat them.
    I as a person like to give hugs & not ashamed to shed a tear nowadays as once I was 'bitter' about my health circumstances - looking back it was the wrong approach and via a huge 'team effort' around me I now feel the benefits of shedding the shackles I self imposed and that's what I see Bielsa doing with his wonderful inspirational personality that his players & staff are trying to reproduce in trust.

If you spend a day in Leeds you'll fully get what I mean as the city is fully behind the team - everyone from schools to elderly residential homes, I'm sorry your missing that experience.
    Happy New Year.

The hug & Very ordinary Burnley who didn't get physical ? Good point Miss MT, one of my fears with a couple of teams, Burnley being one, that we end up getting a kicking and lose layers, to their credit they were not too bad this time.

I like our fellow visiting poster....Alf

However, it did seem that his team had an air of resignation about them. Surprised me. They are normally just so physical and often dirty. could have had 2 red cards in our first match.

Of course, if Leeds, or any other non "big 6 team" had committed any of those fouls against the big 6 that player would still be suspended.

Yup surprised me how little fight they had compared to earlier in the season. Think they missed Pope a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Yup surprised me how little fight they had compared to earlier in the season. Think they missed Pope a lot too.
    Bottom line (as Americans like to say), Leeds played well against a rather spiritless Burnley. By the same token, Leeds played without Struijk, Phillips, Rodrigo and Bamford. So, really good performance. Question then is how will they play against other teams who have different styles. I ask this because Bielsa last season and this, has asked his players to play different formations quite a bit sometimes due to injuries, sometimes due to opponents formation. Hence the rather inconsistent displays. Even switching to zone defence to reduce the carnage when 5 -0 down against Schitty. I thought my television had picked up an errant transmission from outer space.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)