+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T booster jabs.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    What are these two columns of data showing gm? One column on the left shows falling figures, the one on the right are increasing. What are they showing?
    The right hand Columb is the total case numbers, the day by day numbers show a huge decrease in line with what we were told (but completely ignored) by South Africa that it was a short term mild variant.

Sack Whitty now

Van Tam's gone

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    The government told us it was very serious and we all need to lock ourselves in our homes and only go out for an hour a day, while they had numerous parties, the public has been conned.
    Did you see my post 145?

Quote Originally Posted by South Coast Miller View Post
    Van Tam's gone
    Back to his regular day job

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    The right hand Columb is the total case numbers, the day by day numbers show a huge decrease in line with what we were told (but completely ignored) by South Africa that it was a short term mild variant.

Sack Whitty now
    I agree that the evidence from South African was that it was a miler varient but as a relatively unknown quantity we had no way of knowing what the actual impact of the outbreak would be on the NHS. We exchanged views about hospitalisations in mid December when you were already suggesting that all would be fine and I showed you the emerging increase in hospitalisations. Look what has happened to the numbers of people in hospitals since:

hospitalCases

It increased nearly 3 times in that 2-3 week period stretching the NHS hugely in London and that stretch is now hitting the North in various places.

I think the whole reason for the restrictions that we have been under (which are not a huge burden to be honest) have helped to flatten the impact of the omecron wave. It was quite clear, at least to most, that the virus itself isn't anything like the threat to life and long term illness that Delta represented but without some restrictions, the pressure on the NHS and the wider economy from mass absences/isolations would be inevitable and not sure why you (and Fire) seem to keep advocating for it.

But overall, the omecron outbreak, with what looks to be a bonus in that exposure to it appears to prevent delta infection, is coming down in some areas in terms of infections and hospitalisations/ventilations looks to be levelling and falling. It is indeed following a path that many were predicting (including myself I would add) on the back of the South African data, but I think the government have been wise in asking for modest restrictions whilst the wave did it's worst, and helped to flatten the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    But that’s the point, a flat curve rather than a pronounced sharp one so control measures can be researched and implemented and the NHS isn’t overrun in a short time.
    Did they balance that against the deaths and other misery caused by the lockdowns though?

Suicides, missed cancers, other missed illnesses, domestic murders and abuse, child murders and abuse.

Five women were killed in one week in Doncaster in July 2020.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9636461.html

In 7 weeks that should say, May to July 2020.

Did they balance that against the deaths and other misery caused by the lockdowns though?

Suicides, missed cancers, other missed illnesses, domestic murders and abuse, child murders and abuse.

Couldn't you argue the contrary case too that 'incidental' lives were also saved by the lockdown? Less road deaths, less pedestrian deaths, less workplace accident deaths...etc.

Quite right

We have an overworked NHS without covid

Too many people in an overcrowded island

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Couldn't you argue the contrary case too that 'incidental' lives were also saved by the lockdown? Less road deaths, less pedestrian deaths, less workplace accident deaths...etc.
    That's a good point.

But I think when we look at it in the future we'll see that more lives will have been lost in lockdown than were saved, they also need to compare ages and health profiles.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast