+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sporting team names

Barnsley tarn

Not for me either but if it was to happen stick with history? Barnsley St Peters.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I've never understood how US sports fans simply accept clubs teams moving city's .
    I've absolutely no idea how the Las Vegas public can adopt The Raiders when it's Oakland's club and it's Super Bowl history will forever be in Oakland .
    I always knew them as the L.A Raiders, this was after they left Oakland. Now I think we have the L.A Chargers after they moved from San Diego, as you say Animal its weird how many of their teams up sticks and move.

I agree Acido regarding the modern fad. It's a bit cheesy. But most football clubs in England have a second name for historical reasons. My own club, by way of example, were formed because Rotherham had two clubs (Rotherham County and Rotherham Town), both of whom had played in the Football League. Those two clubs united in 1925 to form Rotherham United. Makes total and logical sense.

Too American, too Conway. Not for me.

Barnsley Laikers

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    Not for me either but if it was to happen stick with history? Barnsley St Peters.
    Agree .

It was only a matter of time before they brought it into rugby league and even cricket.
    The ludicrous 2nd name thing in order to get the fans to buy more merchandise, and start calling them by a nickname.

So they came up with names like Warriors, Wildcats, Rhinos, Tigers, Rams, Wolves, Bulls, Giants, Bulldogs, and even Centurians lol. Whatever happened to the old Bradford Northern and Huddersfield Barracudas ehh.

And remember Yorkshire's original name for the one day cricket squad, I think it was Phoenix!!.
    Last edited by Acido; 19-09-2021 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post

And remember Yorkshire's original name for the one day cricket squad, I think it was Phoenix!!.
    I can imagine Paul Conway as Brian Potter running Barnsley FC Phoenix Neet Matches at the Barnsley Phoenix Club.

Recruitment consists of watching players juggling a ball on stage and Conway says, " Sign him on forra month on half wot they pay darn the road" with Max and Paddy nodding.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    I can imagine Paul Conway as Brian Potter running Barnsley FC Phoenix Neet Matches at the Barnsley Phoenix Club. Recruitment consists of watching players juggling a ball on stage and Conway says, " Sign him on forra month on half wot they pay darn the road" with Max and Paddy nodding.
    Nahh I don't know who any of those people are, Ive never watched Peter Kay's Phoenix nights (or whatever its called).

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Nahh I don't know who any of those people are, Ive never watched Peter Kay's Phoenix nights (or whatever its called).
    so that's why tharra miserable sod !! " Barnsley five o " !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast