+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting the season

Starting the season

Great on the recruitment side yesterday and before that too...

Let's hope we start better than the last 3 seasons - it's been awful in each. The last two were far too slack, giving ourselves a big gap to make up after dropping too many points in the first 1/4 or 1/3 of the season. We can't afford to wait and see how the season shakes out - we know that Stockport for one will be right up there.

We need to be at it from the start and there's no way we should be giving the best teams a 10pt start this time.
    I think fans should approach it like it's Rangers & Celtic and count the point differential with Stockport from the 1st game on. That's what I'll be doing

Stockport have spent a lot of money and have a great squad for sure but the last 2 seasons the champions have really come out of nowhere and if we have not learnt by now that it takes a lot more than good signings and a few quid to win the league we never will. Once again every team will want to beat us and its that will to win that was so often lacking under Ardley that has been the issue with us. Once we get up a head of steam we do well. I am personally a little placated by the fact that there are a number of bigger and fancied teams in the division this season. Stockport, Notts, Grimsby, Wrexham to some extent Chesterfield are all larger clubs with good support bases. For me this takes the pressure off us a bit as its really Stockport and Wrexham that everyone has talked about and wants to beat. That suits us. If we continue with the type of performances we put in after Birchnall got his feet under the table everything will look after itself and we will be there or there abouts. I cannot currently see any evidence to see that the approach will change. Getting rid of negative Neal was the best thing we ever did in my eyes. It's more a big 4 or 5 in my eyes than Celtic v Rangers and it will be interesting to see how all of these teams settle and inevitably which "pub team" comes out of nowhere to give it a good go. I can't see Torquay coming close this year.

I would like to see Notts really try to win every game. No respecting points a la Canardley. Aim for the top and see where it takes us.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    I would like to see Notts really try to win every game. No respecting points a la Canardley. Aim for the top and see where it takes us.
    Everything we’ve seen from IB suggests this will be the case to be honest.

I’ve never quite understood holding out for a draw, unless you’re away at Man Utd or something. You’re much better off turning half of your draws into wins and accepting half might be defeats.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Everything we’ve seen from IB suggests this will be the case to be honest.

I’ve never quite understood holding out for a draw, unless you’re away at Man Utd or something. You’re much better off turning half of your draws into wins and accepting half might be defeats.
    100% agree.

I'm confident as well that we'll be ready this time

In the Nolan relegation we weren't physically ready to start the season. In NA's 2 NL seasons we weren't mentally ready to start. Why lose to teams you will beat once you get fully going?

It'd be a major disappointment if we lost 4 out of the first 11 again or get 23 out of 42pts like last season. You're going to struggle to make that up in a 1 up league, or get that crucial top 3 place.

I'm trying to reserve my enthusiasm with a pinch of realism and not over bake my expectations for next season but these last few signings have got me all hot under the collar, well that and the hot weather!

In all seriousness IB and the recruitment team have delivered pretty much in every area we needed strengthening. I'm not even sure we need another Kyle Wootton because the style we will be playing will benefit the likes of Ruben, Roberts and co who should both get a decent goal haul if they stay fit but if we could just get that Wootton type player as well we will be well in the mix and I fully expect us to make a quick start to the season for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    we could just get that Wootton type player as well we will be well in the mix and I fully expect us to make a quick start to the season for a change.
    Let's hope so OG.
    Most expect one of the final additions to be another striker, highly likely I think.

What strikes me from all the chat on here is that fans have zero expectations of Sam and Knight. Knight is still a work in progress but I'm hopeful Sam will be much better this season with IB finding the best role for him

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Let's hope so OG.
    Most expect one of the final additions to be another striker, highly likely I think.

What strikes me from all the chat on here is that fans have zero expectations of Sam and Knight. Knight is still a work in progress but I'm hopeful Sam will be much better this season with IB finding the best role for him
    I think both have plenty to contribute. We need to stop thinking Sam is a striker as opposed to an inside forward in a similar position to a Roberts or Rodrigues, and Knight I don’t think it’s fair to judge on anything he did last season really with the lack of fitness he had when he came in.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I'm trying to reserve my enthusiasm with a pinch of realism and not over bake my expectations for next season but these last few signings have got me all hot under the collar, well that and the hot weather!

In all seriousness IB and the recruitment team have delivered pretty much in every area we needed strengthening. I'm not even sure we need another Kyle Wootton because the style we will be playing will benefit the likes of Ruben, Roberts and co who should both get a decent goal haul if they stay fit but if we could just get that Wootton type player as well we will be well in the mix and I fully expect us to make a quick start to the season for a change.
    This isn’t a dig at Ardley, but you can see why the owners elected to make the managerial change when they did. The thought and planning that have gone into these signings, they didn’t happen over night. Additionally, I’m not sure NA would have wanted to go down the recruitment path we have.

I’m cautiously optimistic. I just hope supporters aren’t jumping on players backs at the first misplaced pass. Supporters can play a big part in creating the right environment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast