+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Advice

Travel Advice

I try to get up every year to watch the Well, which I haven't managed yet this year, but by coincidence I am due to attend a wedding in Glasgow on Sunday the 20th of April, so can attend the game on Saturday. I am staying in the city and have no car, so was thinking of getting the train in. Am I right in thinking the best route would be from Glasgow Central to Airbles station, a quick drink in the Leccy bar and then a stroll to the ground, I guess I will be surrounded by the nice Celtic fans on the way in and on the way back. I used to live in Wishaw, so I am used to traveling to the home games with them in attendance whenever we play the old squirm

It has been a while since I have been last up, so any advice is welcome.

Cheers

re: Travel Advice

Hello DS - Glesga Central to Airbles, then Leccy for a beer is a shout. Just keep your wits about you though, as at the last Smelltic game Airbles saw a fair bit of fistiecuffs and exchanging of bottles / cans (not in the friendly way). Having said that, I reckon Plod won't let his guard down 2 games in a row, and there'll be a decent presence all over the place.

Or get off the train at Motherwell station , hop in a taxi at the rank right outside and get it to take you to the bar in the Cooper Stand. No contact at all with "them" from when you get off the train.

You could also try a taxi from the station to Jack Daniels , home fans only and the route from there through the hospital and up Knowetop Avenue to the home turnstyles is as bereft as you'll get of the great unwashed.

I assume that you've got a ticket?

I would agree with others but the train will be full of them as i have got on at blantyre before for an early kick off and was amazed how p...d people were on a 10.27 train .I would get off at airbles and go to bar in cooper stand as early enough to miss the majority of them and can leave their and walk straight into game they are also open after game so you can have a celebratory(i wish) drink after words and let most of them leave before making your way back to station.

I know it is a round about way, but if you want to miss all the Celtic fans on the way in, you could get the Larkhall train, and get off at Hamilton Central. From there you could get a Taxi or bus. Mind you, you would still have to return via Airbles or Motherwell.

Get on the train at Central wearing a long raincoat. Just as train leaves Hamilton Central open raincoat to reveal an automatic machine gun and shoot the *******s. Alight at Airbles and wander into the Leccy for a few pints with real football fans.

Enjoy

Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I have never been to the bar in the Cooper stand, so might try there. But an early start and late departure sounds like a plan.

Match ticket pre-booked online and ready for collection.

Match ticket pre-booked online and ready for collection.
    Good luck with collection ... suggest ignore the above and travel day before to avoid tkt queue as all your efforts to avoid opposition fans will be to no avail as stood amongst them queuing

Seriously - be early to collect tkt as queue lengthly on match day

I'm on the trains all the time for work, and i've put my scotrail app to work just for you good sir!

This is the quickest and "safest way" from weegie town to the 'shire on Saturday.

11:00AM Glasgow Central
    to
    11:13AM Motherwell (direct)

via Cross Country Trains (usually platform 2)

Standard return ticket is valid, and you get this train from upper level. As said previously, nip in a taxi if raining or cannae be bothered walking up past the mega.

Cheeers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)