+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You Have To Feel For Brentford

You Have To Feel For Brentford

You could argue they've had their opportunities and didn't take them .

The bigger picture is that Brentford will now lose their top talent and it's unlikely they'll get that close to the PL again .

Cruel game .

I never saw that coming. Like you say the big clubs will cherry pick from their squad. It’s going to be interesting to see how Brentford will react to this next season.

It has to be said that clubs have cherry picked them for the last few seasons. In the last 4 years the likes of Scott Hogan, Jota, Chris Mepham, Ryan Woods, Nico Yennaris, John Egan, Neil Maupay, Jozephzoon, Ezri Konsa, Romain Sawyers have all been sold by Brentford for combined total of around £80 million.

They still come up with player after player each season and finish in the top half of the championship. Yes, they may get cherry picked by Premiership clubs but Brentford themselves cherry pick better players from lower teams of the football pyramid. It's a well run club when all said and done. Yes they've blown it this season but I'd expect them to be in the top 6 next season again despite probably selling 3 of their top players this summer.

They operate a strategy similar to ours in the transfer market but their outgoings bring far more money in than ours do. Also their replacement signings are more expensive than ours and are championship ready. Wonder what Pinnock is worth nar?

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    It has to be said that clubs have cherry picked them for the last few seasons. In the last 4 years the likes of Scott Hogan, Jota, Chris Mepham, Ryan Woods, Nico Yennaris, John Egan, Neil Maupay, Jozephzoon, Ezri Konsa, Romain Sawyers have all been sold by Brentford for combined total of around £80 million.

They still come up with player after player each season and finish in the top half of the championship. Yes, they may get cherry picked by Premiership clubs but Brentford themselves cherry pick better players from lower teams of the football pyramid. It's a well run club when all said and done. Yes they've blown it this season but I'd expect them to be in the top 6 next season again despite probably selling 3 of their top players this summer.

They operate a strategy similar to ours in the transfer market but their outgoings bring far more money in than ours do. Also their replacement signings are more expensive than ours and are championship ready. Wonder what Pinnock is worth nar?
    I take your point about their ability to replace players and hold their own in the Championship .

I don't expect them to implode as a championship club but to get as close to the PL again ? ........ I'm not so sure Pass .

Going to take some coming back from mentally for the club in my opinion .

Watkins against ourselves late in the game was a centimetre away from putting them in the PL automatically .

Any sort of justice tonight would have seen Brentford triumph .

Tough to take .

Watkins missed two again tonight......
    Similiar to Woodrow.... great first half of the season. Both players reputations will sink or swim on their next Full season

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I take your point about their ability to replace players and hold their own in the Championship .

I don't expect them to implode as a championship club but to get as close to the PL again ? ........ I'm not so sure Pass .

Going to take some coming back from mentally for the club in my opinion .

Watkins against ourselves late in the game was a centimetre away from putting them in the PL automatically .

Any sort of justice tonight would have seen Brentford triumph .

Tough to take .
    It sure is tough to take for them. 3 opportunities spurned. Only themselves to blame when all said and done. It may take them a couple or 3 years to challenge like that once again, who knows? It may never happen again as you say.

I just think that they're an upwardly mobile club. They're moving into their new stadium next season, have a good head coach, play excellent football, they obviously have an excellent scouting team and a few quid behind them. Everything is pointing in the right direction for them.

The point I made in my previous post is a great example to our owners what can be done when you add the quality and experience. Ezri Konsa age 22 (a promising defender)went from Brentford to Villa for £12m last summer, they replaced him with Pinnock age 27 and Pontus Jansson age 29 for around 9 million combined. Their defensive record in 18/19 was poor despite having Konsa, they conceded 59 goals. This season they've only conceded 38 goals and med profit to boot. That is very astute and impressive business by anyone's standards.

We can emulate them IF we can sustain Championship football. That's the $64000 question int it- Can we sustain championship football? Not with the current transfer policy, that much is obvious.

An example Conway and his colleagues surely can't fail to take on board is the difference Sollbauer has made to our team in the closing games, just that bit of experience, know how and calmness around our crop of youngsters makes all the difference. FFS Conway, Beane, Lee, just add that bit more quality and experience in a couple of other positions and we can finish mid table I'm certain. It's been fecking obvious since the 17/18 relegation season what is required at this level and what isn't. To ignore it like we did last summer was criminal and so angrily annoying. Now we've had a touch in staying up, these owners need to take that on board and start learning the lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    It sure is tough to take for them. 3 opportunities spurned. Only themselves to blame when all said and done. It may take them a couple or 3 years to challenge like that once again, who knows? It may never happen again as you say.

I just think that they're an upwardly mobile club. They're moving into their new stadium next season, have a good head coach, play excellent football, they obviously have an excellent scouting team and a few quid behind them. Everything is pointing in the right direction for them.

The point I made in my previous post is a great example to our owners what can be done when you add the quality and experience. Ezri Konsa age 22 (a promising defender)went from Brentford to Villa for £12m last summer, they replaced him with Pinnock age 27 and Pontus Jansson age 29 for around 9 million combined. Their defensive record in 18/19 was poor despite having Konsa, they conceded 59 goals. This season they've only conceded 38 goals and med profit to boot. That is very astute and impressive business by anyone's standards.

We can emulate them IF we can sustain Championship football. That's the $64000 question int it- Can we sustain championship football? Not with the current transfer policy, that much is obvious.

An example Conway and his colleagues surely can't fail to take on board is the difference Sollbauer has made to our team in the closing games, just that bit of experience, know how and calmness around our crop of youngsters makes all the difference. FFS Conway, Beane, Lee, just add that bit more quality and experience in a couple of other positions and we can finish mid table I'm certain. It's been fecking obvious since the 17/18 relegation season what is required at this level and what isn't. To ignore it like we did last summer was criminal and so angrily annoying. Now we've had a touch in staying up, these owners need to take that on board and start learning the lessons.
    The ownership's aspirations for this club going in to a new season are massively exposed now in my opinion .

There is no wriggle room now for me .

I would find it extremely incredible to be fighting for our championship lives next season I really would .

Nowt much with all due respect coming up from League One , Wendy with a 12 point deduction and a squad of young players with a championship season behind em , plus the Championship getting a massive financial reset .

It's all laid bare for me now the new season and the ownership's intentions .

Paul laid out the overall plan in his inspirational speech to fans in the sunshine at the Fan Zone before the Luton ooam game early season, The owner's plan is, first, consolidation in the Championship then, second, a push on the be in the Play Off mix. The roster was stripped of veterans last summer and the fruits of that policy are now ready to be picked next season.

Paul will not let us darn over the summer. Our tactically astute Head Coach will be kept having heard our ambition. Key players that have kept us up will be retained. Billy will tweak the successful recruitment policy slightly to bring in a couple of veterans into the roster bubble to add experience in the locker room.

I look forrad to the summer with anticipation and excitement.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 05-08-2020 at 07:58 AM.

No lads tbh, I dont and I wont feel sorry for them! (Brentford).
    They're a very good and very well run club who should be able to get over this. But remember they 'stole' Ethan Pinnock from us, and Im sure they have done this to many other lower league clubs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    No lads tbh, I dont and I wont feel sorry for them! (Brentford).
    They're a very good and very well run club who should be able to get over this. But remember they 'stole' Ethan Pinnock from us, and Im sure they have done this to many other lower league clubs as well.

They dint steal Pinnock mate, they paid good money for him. We stole Pinnock off Forest Green Rovers for 500k

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast