+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Forest v Sheff Utd

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I do, Nigel Clough scored twice and they won the League Cup.

I know what you're really referring to though and it's amazing how those jammy gits almost always get lucky with relatively minor opponents in finals... Luton (twice), Oldham, Southampton, Malmo, Hamburg. When they have come up against somebody decent, they've lost - Wolves and Man Utd, with the only notable win v Liverpool in a replay thanks to two blatant mistakes by officials at either end.
    Going way back, their first FA Cup win was against Derby who hadn't done anything at the time.
    Don’t forget Spurs in 91.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Oh god yes, just four days before we beat Middlesbrough in the play off semi-final. What a time to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I'll tell you a situation where Forest's promotion benefits us: the loaning of players. We could become a trialling base for their new talent, especially local youngsters who might not quite make it at top level.
    Beggars can't be choosers and we have to accept that those days where we mocked Forest's failures are over. For the foreseeable future we are playing a distant second fiddle in Nottingham but at least the first fiddle see a use for us.
    It’s happened already, we’ve turned down offers from Forest for loanee(s) this season. But it works both ways like the deal for the use of their training ground.
    Last edited by keldsyke; 15-05-2022 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I'll tell you a situation where Forest's promotion benefits us: the loaning of players. We could become a trialling base for their new talent, especially local youngsters who might not quite make it at top level.
    Beggars can't be choosers and we have to accept that those days where we mocked Forest's failures are over. For the foreseeable future we are playing a distant second fiddle in Nottingham but at least the first fiddle see a use for us.
    If they fail to get promoted I will mock like I have always mock their failures, like it or not we are in direct competition for fans & the more success they have the harder it becomes for us. The gap is now as wide has it's ever been but forest being in the Prem would take it to a new level, a level where it would be very strange if they were to loan any players apart from very raw trialists to us. Our gates have begun to lift at last but if the worst case scenario was to happen it could easily put a block on that, for a young kid it has to be difficult enough to support Notts when most of your classmates go across the river but with the coverage & money involved with the Prem the temptation to go glory hunting could prove to much, the local media already fawn over the reds to the extent that radio red had live commentary on an under 18 game last week & the redrag is now little more than a forest fanzine, can you imagine it, I'm afraid I can & I don't like it, I may be a begger but there's no way i will ever choose to hope that they do well. COYP

👏👏👏 ancientpie. Always sh*t on the red side of the Trent. Come on you Blades oh and COYP 😁

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    If they fail to get promoted I will mock like I have always mock their failures, like it or not we are in direct competition for fans & the more success they have the harder it becomes for us. The gap is now as wide has it's ever been but forest being in the Prem would take it to a new level, a level where it would be very strange if they were to loan any players apart from very raw trialists to us. Our gates have begun to lift at last but if the worst case scenario was to happen it could easily put a block on that, for a young kid it has to be difficult enough to support Notts when most of your classmates go across the river but with the coverage & money involved with the Prem the temptation to go glory hunting could prove to much, the local media already fawn over the reds to the extent that radio red had live commentary on an under 18 game last week & the redrag is now little more than a forest fanzine, can you imagine it, I'm afraid I can & I don't like it, I may be a begger but there's no way i will ever choose to hope that they do well. COYP
    I was at primary school in early 1977 and nobody talked about football. As far as I knew I was the only one who'd bought a few packets of Topps Football cards (with the chewing gum sticks). I distinctly remember one particular play time because there was a small group of older lads having a game with a tennis ball and I'd never seen that before, "Oh, they're playing football like on the tele, that looks fun." Nine months later, when we returned after the summer holidays, something had clearly changed. Loads of people were collecting the "Soccer Stars" lick-the-back to stick cards and more and more began to say they supported Fword. Every break time from then on there'd be at least three games going on. By the end of 1978 there was a classroom where the teacher had put up a display of Fword programme covers with paintings of the badge or match scenes and the headmaster was playing the "Got the whole World in our hands" record in assembly.
    I really will feel for any young Notts fan if Fword go up.

Notts will always attract the supporters who want something a bit different, the fact the majority of their class supports Forest means some will want to support Notts. We can't compete directly even in League 2 with a good Championship team or Premier league, what we will get are the people who like the underdogs with their own identity. Then there's the cost aspect. It doesn't really matter if Forest go up or stay strong in the Championship, we can't compete on a football level for fans, only as a viable alternative to the crowd.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 16-05-2022 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Gaza should have been sent off at the start of that game.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Notts will always attract the supporters who want something abit different, the fact the majority of their class supports Forest means some will want to support Notts. We can't compete directly even in League 2 with a good Championship team or Premier league, what we will get are the people who like the underdogs with their own identity. Then there's the cost aspect. It doesn't really matter if Forest go up or stay strong in the Championship, we can't compete on a football level for fans, only as a viable alternative to the crowd.
    Even back in 1961 I was the only Notts fan in my class.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Gaza should have been sent off at the start of that game.
    That would have kept him occupied

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast