+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Shortage of lorry drivers? What is to blame?

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    But industry leaders appear not to agree with this:

Marco Digioia, the head of the European Road Haulers Association which represents more than 200,000 trucking companies across the country: “There is a driver shortage across Europe. I am not sure how many would want to go to the UK.”

Digioia said European driver salaries were generally higher than in Britain; new EU rules had improved working conditions; and billions of euros had been offered to fund parking areas and support companies.

“The UK doesn’t have access to any of that,” he said. “Tempting European drivers back to the UK when they also have to face the reality of customs and border checks, all the uncertainties of Brexit … We have to be realistic.”

Higher salaries, and perhaps tax incentives, might help in the short term, he said, but “a lot of money is being thrown at this whole problem in Europe right now. There’s a level playing field, and none of the Brexit-related hassle”.

Ian Wright, chief executive of the Food and Drink Federation, said that there could be as many as four million people who were available to companies at the beginning of last year but are no longer in the potential labour force. He warned of another pinch point in just a few weeks, when agency staff would be needed to deal with the autumn and Christmas peak in demand.

“I’m absolutely certain that when we get to the end of September and when we start to look at the crucial role of agency workers in the Christmas rush, there won’t be enough available,” he said.

Completely agree that the pandemic is the main factor for the world shortage but the fact that we had years of anti-immigration messaging together with the sudden introduction of EU workers needing to apply for settled status/visas to work in the UK, and then throw in the large amounts of new beurocracy for companies considering sending/buying merch from the UK, and it isn't hard to see how this country will be affected more negatively than others. It was always going to happen anyway to a lesser extent, all but the most hardened Breiters could see that there would be economic cost, but the pandemic has simply and quite cruelly blown the impact up much more than it would have done. And that isn't to say that the public weren't entitled to take an economic hit in order to reduce immigration, but to then deny the impact of that decision on the economy when everyone know what was going to happen seems a little blinkered to me.
    I'd agree with Marco that it may only work in the short term. Offer better T and C's now and market forces should take over.
    Interesting to note that our govt is only looking to fix the problem short term i.e. up to xmas. What then, what's their plan from then onwards
    As I've said in a few posts over the last few days, the govt should have seen this coming and made plans long ago.
    Brexit happened before covid so this problem was always coming it,s just been exacerbated by the virus

Why do the BBC and mainstream media tell us nothing about all the problems other countries around the world are suffering with the lack of HGV drivers?They just like to make out it's this country.I wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    I'd agree with Marco that it may only work in the short term. Offer better T and C's now and market forces should take over.
    Interesting to note that our govt is only looking to fix the problem short term i.e. up to xmas. What then, what's their plan from then onwards
    As I've said in a few posts over the last few days, the govt should have seen this coming and made plans long ago.
    Brexit happened before covid so this problem was always coming it,s just been exacerbated by the virus
    Exactly. It was argued on this board many times that if we go through with a hard Brexit, then we would have to find a way of plugging the job and skills gaps that are left through the EU workers that choose to leave and not come back. And if that involved a big re-training programme and improved pay and conditions for UK nationals, that wouldn't be a bad thing at all. I'd have voted leave myself if I thought that the Leave leaders had any interest in that happening. But it was never going to happen so here we are.

Wait until the gaps in health and social care start biting.

Oh the irony of it all. ISnt it just as arrogant to not ackniwledge that brexit has played a part in the lack of lorry drivers grist. Blinkered as ever! Also great points by pup that brexiteers on here have not successfully given a counter argument against and its the remainers who are arrogant!

The fact is brexit still has proven to have no substance to it yet and brexiteers are still blindly sticking to the mantra it will. Good luck with that one guys!

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Oh the irony of it all. ISnt it just as arrogant to not ackniwledge that brexit has played a part in the lack of lorry drivers grist. Blinkered as ever! Also great points by pup that brexiteers on here have not successfully given a counter argument against and its the remainers who are arrogant!

The fact is brexit still has proven to have no substance to it yet and brexiteers are still blindly sticking to the mantra it will. Good luck with that one guys!
    A democratic nation ( allegedly) and we had a referendum. The result was leave, but remainders spitefully dragged the process out causing more pain and complications than there should have been.

Tomorrow might be foggy weather, if it is then remainers will blame it on Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Exactly. It was argued on this board many times that if we go through with a hard Brexit, then we would have to find a way of plugging the job and skills gaps that are left through the EU workers that choose to leave and not come back. And if that involved a big re-training programme and improved pay and conditions for UK nationals, that wouldn't be a bad thing at all. I'd have voted leave myself if I thought that the Leave leaders had any interest in that happening. But it was never going to happen so here we are.

Wait until the gaps in health and social care start biting.
    Yes they will bite, but due to letting in too many waifs and strays from Afghanistan and other scrubber nations.

Scrubber nations? No racism there then. Do you ever engage your brain before you type?

Quote Originally Posted by Geetarman View Post
    Scrubber nations? No racism there then. Do you ever engage your brain before you type?
    do you ever come on this board without having a dig at someone or their spelling ?
    You ball sack. fkn wan k stain.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    A democratic nation ( allegedly) and we had a referendum. The result was leave, but remainders spitefully dragged the process out causing more pain and complications than there should have been.
    Evidence please? How do you know that? The "scrubber nations" comment sort of reflects a non thought out view on life to me. Not sure what that has owt to do with the argument anyway even if proven to be true. You have never been one to put out a lucid clear argument on here for or against owt have you Grist?
    Last edited by rolymiller; 26-09-2021 at 03:41 PM.

Unfortunately I cannot match your erudite command of the English language

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast