+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gentleman Magpie

[SE filbert, a hazelnut, which in France trad. ripened on or near St Philibert’s day, 22 August (Old Style)]
    1. the human head [play on nut n.1 (1)].

19101920193019401950196019701980 1981
    2. a fashionable dandy [pun on knut n.; esp. in song ‘Gilbert the Filbert/Colonel of the Knuts’, by Arthur Wimperis (1874–1953) featured in a 1914 version of The Passing Show].

3. (US) a crazy person; a clownish person [play on nut n.2 (1)].

Just been looking through the Ogdon's nickname card series. The Birmingham one, oh dear. Reading the back of it, it doesn't explain why, just says "The club is, however, always depicted as a negro."

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Just been looking through the Ogdon's nickname card series. The Birmingham one, oh dear. Reading the back of it, it doesn't explain why, just says "The club is, however, always depicted as a negro."

BCFC were known for a long time as 'The Heathens'. more as a reference to where they originally played, (Birmingham Small Heath) than their general attitude.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bcfc...egr-t2419.html

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Yes, I noticed that one when I was researching earlier. They were originally called Small Heath and their nickname was the "Heathens". I don't think I'll put up the card in question, but I wonder why he's depicted carrying a cut-throat razor?

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    It was definitely a Football Post ( News?) creation.

It never failed to amaze me how that paper came out within an hour of the end of the match. Great part of the Saturday afternoon ritual, and much missed.
    This thread has evoked some wonderful memories of watching Notts in the Fifties. In those days, my father worked until 12.00 noon on a Saturday, and then we would get the bus into town, and walk to Lower Parliament Street, where we got on the “Football special” bus to Meadow Lane. After the match we would walk to the Slab Square. By the time we got there, the football papers were out, and we would buy both the Football Post and Football News. Nottingham had two daily papers in those days. Nearly all the results were in from the days football, together with the up to date league tables. Happy days and even happier memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    It was definitely a Football Post ( News?) creation.

It never failed to amaze me how that paper came out within an hour of the end of the match. Great part of the Saturday afternoon ritual, and much missed.
    Much quicker than that. I often used to run from the ground - matches finished at 4.40 on the dot, via Foreman St, pick up the pink Football Post (just after 5pm) and continue up to Victoria Station to get the train to Hucknall.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Much quicker than that. I often used to run from the ground - matches finished at 4.40 on the dot, via Foreman St, pick up the pink Football Post (just after 5pm) and continue up to Victoria Station to get the train to Hucknall.
    From 1961 onwards I would walk up London Road with my dad, mushy peas in Central Market, through to Huntingdon Street Bus station, pick up a football post while waiting for a 25 bus back to sunny Carlton, life couldn’t get better than that.

Good memories, walk up to the Greek cafe outside Vicky centre, cup of tea, football post listen to radio Nottingham till the Yorker opened at six.

Quote Originally Posted by forwardmagpie View Post
    From 1961 onwards I would walk up London Road with my dad, mushy peas in Central Market, through to Huntingdon Street Bus station, pick up a football post while waiting for a 25 bus back to sunny Carlton, life couldn’t get better than that.
    Life couldn't get better than that apart from going back to Carlton!

In the early 70s I always cycled to home games. It was only a 7 mile journey, but I usually got home around the time the Football Post arrived at my local newsagent. Sometimes I had to wait up to 10 minutes before it was delivered, but I never went home without it. I went to all the away games back then on the trains organised by the supporters club, and there was always a bloke standing outside the station who must have sold hundreds of copies in 10 minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Life couldn't get better than that apart from going back to Carlton!

In the early 70s I always cycled to home games. It was only a 7 mile journey, but I usually got home around the time the Football Post arrived at my local newsagent. Sometimes I had to wait up to 10 minutes before it was delivered, but I never went home without it. I went to all the away games back then on the trains organised by the supporters club, and there was always a bloke standing outside the station who must have sold hundreds of copies in 10 minutes!
    Sorry Elite but where is better than Carlton (other than Gedling where I was born)?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast