Quote Originally Posted by texaco cup View Post
IMO reconstruction is needed to try and freshen up a product that is dead on its feet. Playing teams four times in a season in the league is killing the game here. We need to try and get the fans back to the grounds by offering something different, what that is I don’t know. But sometimes change is just needed to get people interested.
In an ideal world, I would do something radical - but you're not starting with a blank sheet of paper, you're starting with the current model, financial commitments and media support you have.

Now while I, you or anyone else might be right in that ripping it up now will give us something better in five years, several clubs cannot bridge that gap and even those who could will not risk it.

There is a reason our clubs repeatedly insist on at least three Old Firm visits, there is a reason television insists on four Old Firm games, there is a reason the Scottish top-flight is (or certainly was, maybe it has changed a little) the hardest in all of Europe to get relegated from and these are the reasons we've had this system for 20 odd years...and despite the current circumstances, nothing has really changed. This froth from certain clubs that there's an appetite for something new is total fantasy - the only demand has come from those about to get relegated/not promoted.

A 14-team league with a 6-8 split will not make a better product than 12 with 6-6. It will simply dilute the money paid out further and require an increased risk of relegation. Now the Old Firm might appreciate two fewer games to help them in Europe but I've no idea why anyone other than them and Hearts would back that proposal.