+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: pic quiz

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    Woody, were Parsons connected with Dormans?
    I don't think so mate, but I think both companies were in their prime at about the same time, 1930-50. I know Parsons were based in South Shields while Dorman Long were in Middlesborough and were of course mainly known for bridge building. They did the Sydney Harbor Bridge and of course the famous "vertical lift" bridge [the first in the UK] in Middlesborough itself.

Ij Sly and the family stone.
    spot on george

two more bands

( 1 k and 1 L still not solved )

Woody, never heard of them

Greavesey, Whitesnake, Grateful Dead.

Rainbow!

Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by dogead View Post
    Woody, never heard of them

Greavesey, Whitesnake, Grateful Dead.
    Just for your edification mate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alan_Parsons_Project

They didn't amount to much really. A group's group I think.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    I don't think so mate, but I think both companies were in their prime at about the same time, 1930-50. I know Parsons were based in South Shields while Dorman Long were in Middlesborough and were of course mainly known for bridge building. They did the Sydney Harbor Bridge and of course the famous "vertical lift" bridge [the first in the UK] in Middlesborough itself.
    Woody. Dormans made Diesel engines and I think became joined with Perkins. Dormans had a factory in Stafford.

Woody. Dormans made Diesel engines and I think became joined with Perkins. Dormans had a factory in Stafford.
    Yes, that Dorman, a separate company, were swallowed up by English Electric in the 60s. I remember that place in Stafford where they made those little diesel shunters very well.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    Yes, that Dorman, a separate company, were swallowed up by English Electric in the 60s. I remember that place in Stafford where they made those little diesel shunters very well.
    Actually it was the WG Bagnall factory I remember, it was just north of Stafford Station, English Electric swallowed them both I think.

1M -Grateful Dead innit.

Woody, my father worked at English Electric as a press operator. It was originally Siemans, a German Company before the war. The Gerrys tried to bomb it but our lads shot them out of the air. It later became GEC, and finally Alsom the French company brought it. If you have a look on UTube you will find film of some of the big Transformers leaving the factory in recent years. ALE Abnormal Load Engeneering. They made a route through islands along the A34 to get them to the docks in Manchester. Tom Evans films them.

I was a train spotter in Stafford and we used to stand on the bridge by the station, it was known as Bagnalls bridge. One of their little saddle tank engines was restored and stood opposite Stafford Station for years, I think it now resides at Ammerton farm on the way to Uttoxeter. When this lockdown lifts I will have a ride to see.
    Last edited by abbobrom; 25-04-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)