+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Notts County First team 24/25

Notts County First team 24/25

Slocome*

Macari Bedeau Matthew Palmer Chickson*

Nemane Matty Palmer Robertson Jones

Langstaff Crowley

Subs McGoldrick, Cameron, Rawlinson*, Austin*, Scott, Jatta, Stone

Not too controversial * indicates possible strengthening.

Or 4231

GK

Macari Bedeu Platt Cameron

Palmer Robertson

Crowley Langstaff JJ

Jatta

Sorry, I meant Platt In defence

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldmagpie View Post
    Or 4231

GK

Macari Bedeu Platt Cameron

Palmer Robertson

Crowley Langstaff JJ

Jatta
    Ooh tasty. I love that back four.

The struggle is getting Macca and Jatta in the same line-up. I'd probably start the season with Nemane on the right, Crowley in the middle, Macca up top, and Jatta on the bench, but it does feel like a waste.

Regardless, I expect Maynard to persist with the 3-4-2-1 formation, with two 'wing backs' who can't/won't defend.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post

The struggle is getting Macca and Jatta in the same line-up. I'd probably start the season with Nemane on the right, Crowley in the middle, Macca up top, and Jatta on the bench, but it does feel like a waste.

Regardless, I expect Maynard to persist with the 3-4-2-1 formation, with two 'wing backs' who can't/won't defend.

I think we can’t go in to this season playing one way. Our away form was fairly poor and I’d suggest a more pragmatic approach, where maybe a back 4 is implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I think we can’t go in to this season playing one way. Our away form was fairly poor and I’d suggest a more pragmatic approach, where maybe a back 4 is implemented.
    I would love to see that. I thought we were fantastic away at Newport when we played a back four. That was probably the best performance under Maynard. Happy to go more attacking at home against certain team, but having that solid base of a back four with two full-backs who know how to defend is a great option away.

I would love to see that. I thought we were fantastic away at Newport when we played a back four. That was probably the best performance under Maynard. Happy to go more attacking at home against certain team, but having that solid base of a back four with two full-backs who know how to defend is a great option away.
    You know me, I link the very attacking, entertaining football with the 11-12,000 through the gate. I want to see more of that, not to set up worrying about the other team.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    You know me, I link the very attacking, entertaining football with the 11-12,000 through the gate. I want to see more of that, not to set up worrying about the other team.
    But that approach led to us conceding an embarrassing number of goals. I agree that we should maintain our identity as an attacking team that takes the game to the opposition, not a negative one that plays for the point, but we have to do something to address our frailty at the back. To a certain extent it is about personnel - and we've already made improvements there - but it's also about the system. Plus, we managed to play attacking, exciting football with a solid back four away at Newport, so it can be done.

But that approach led to us conceding an embarrassing number of goals. I agree that we should maintain our identity as an attacking team that takes the game to the opposition, not a negative one that plays for the point, but we have to do something to address our frailty at the back. To a certain extent it is about personnel - and we've already made improvements there - but it's also about the system. Plus, we managed to play attacking, exciting football with a solid back four away at Newport, so it can be done.
    Those are fair points.

I like our latest signing being described as an excellent 'one-v-one' defender. It also tells us what they've been looking for. With Jones, Nemane, that's what we need. And what many were saying last summer. It didn't happen.

Ditto, with the formation. If we have a guiding approach/philosophy, I'm sure it doesn't say we must play a back 3. Great attacking football can be play with a back 4, of course. We've seen it all our lives. Two things there though A) you need FBs who can overlap, play good football and get forward, B ) I don't think our fans should expect a back 4, or start demanding it, SM is more likely to prepare and start with a back 3. He's already shown he's more willing to change formation than LW, between and within games.

I think Maynard was more willing to change formation than Williams... probably too willing at times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast