+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to Wrexham

Welcome to Wrexham

Only seen one episode, didn't want to watch before there was evidence on the pitch to justify the hype, but if the rest is as significant in terms of the story it tells of club, community AND new "stewards" (Mackilhenneys word) as this firat episode, I'll be watching the rest. If only LUFC had such "stewards".

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Only seen one episode, didn't want to watch before there was evidence on the pitch to justify the hype, but if the rest is as significant in terms of the story it tells of club, community AND new "stewards" (Mackilhenneys word) as this firat episode, I'll be watching the rest. If only LUFC had such "stewards".
    To be fair, Wrexham's 4,000 supporters Trust members deserve much credit as they took over an insolvent business & turned it around before handing it over with cash in the bank after the global pandemic.

So not quite how the Reynolds & McElhenney saved Wrexham myth often portrayed continually by the media as they'd employed a brokerage firm to find them a club, Hartlepool, Arbroath of Scotland & some N.Ireland clubs being the unlucky ones dismissed apparently in favour of Wrexham.

Should have bought York City 😄

As a footnote for your interest in footballs global financing Wrexham owners Rob McElhenney & Ryan Reynolds recently bought a stake in a Mexican Liga MX club - so we'll see how their adventures go as "football clubs stewards".
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...liga-mx-necaxa

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    To be fair, Wrexham's 4,000 supporters Trust members deserve much credit as they took over an insolvent business & turned it around before handing it over with cash in the bank after the global pandemic.

So not quite how the Reynolds & McElhenney saved Wrexham myth often portrayed continually by the media as they'd employed a brokerage firm to find them a club, Hartlepool, Arbroath of Scotland & some N.Ireland clubs being the unlucky ones dismissed apparently in favour of Wrexham.

Should have bought York City ��

As a footnote for your interest in footballs global financing Wrexham owners Rob McElhenney & Ryan Reynolds recently bought a stake in a Mexican Liga MX club - so we'll see how their adventures go as "football clubs stewards".
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...liga-mx-necaxa
    I didn't suggest that the new owners "saved the club" and neither (so far, episode two watched also) has the documentary. What I was impressed with was that, as a fan owned club with a supporter owning group who, as you say, had rescued the club from "dubious" owners (LUFC could perhaps have benefitted from similar steps in the past!), they felt overwhelmingly that the proposal from McElhenney and Reynolds was acceptable. They could after all have rejected it having done as you said and generated a solvent club.

And it's hardly surprising that there would have been professional assistance at all stages (selecting potential investments targets, establishing the price for each, risk assessments etc etc), the new owners aren't exactly prime examples of takeover experts.

I'm surprised to see you injecting the kind of negativity I'm usually accused of. I don't imagine that all at Wrexham is sweetness and light, long-standing players were released very early on in the new "regime" and others have followed over the period where the club has gained back to back promotions, but the positive effects on the club, the supporters and the town in general can't be denied with media outlets suggesting that the model at Wrexham might be applied elsewhere to other lower league teams, to the benefit of those who aren't the beneficiaries of Sky largesse.

I say again, if only LUFC had been fortunate enough to gain similar stewardship.

Never met the 2 "stewards" of Wrexham or farrel.

However, from what I can gather from Public domain they are much better suited for ownership of an FA club than our newest investor.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Never met the 2 "stewards" of Wrexham or farrel.

However, from what I can gather from Public domain they are much better suited for ownership of an FA club than our newest investor.
    I'd agree, but the reason I started the thread has more to do with what has happened in its entirety to all concerned (admitting that the profile of the new owners has obviously helped!). Without wanting to rub salt in the wound of a missed auto promotion, it's interesting to contrast and compare the Wrexham story with its back to back promotions with the same kind of advancement by Ipswich and the accounts of the effects of their campaign on the town's population generally, not just the club's supporters.

Just changing the thread slightly, I find it strange that certain teams have such a loyal following, teams like the above mentioned Wrexham and Ipswich, that whatever happens, whoever is in charge they love their club and don’t slag them off or constantly moan about the team or the owners or manager, they devotedly love them, I don’t hear Wrexham being moaned about even when they were non league, they still had the faith, as did Ipswich, my local team Norwich, their fans are more or less tunnel visioned and see no wrong with their lot, and are convinced they’ll do us over, I feel us Leeds supporters are pessimistic and always fear the worst, it’s probably a case of often being the bridesmaid and never the bride with us lot.

Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    Just changing the thread slightly, I find it strange that certain teams have such a loyal following, teams like the above mentioned Wrexham and Ipswich, that whatever happens, whoever is in charge they love their club and don’t slag them off or constantly moan about the team or the owners or manager, they devotedly love them, I don’t hear Wrexham being moaned about even when they were non league, they still had the faith, as did Ipswich, my local team Norwich, their fans are more or less tunnel visioned and see no wrong with their lot, and are convinced they’ll do us over, I feel us Leeds supporters are pessimistic and always fear the worst, it’s probably a case of often being the bridesmaid and never the bride with us lot.
    Not entirely in agreement, particularly as regards ownership. Both Wrexham and #ipswich have suffered (as have LUFC!) from poor owners. I'm old enough to remember what the Leeds support was like under the "stewardship" of Mr Silver, but decades of questionable owners has generated a great deal of cynicism about anyone who seeks to own the club. Fortunately for Ipswich and Wrexham (and Leicester after the tragic death of their previous owner), they haven't been subject to such a long and debilitating period of poor ownership/leadership.

True to say, the Leeds support is relatively fickle, and for a one club city the "core" support is relatively small. Not going to change any time soon, just have to get on with how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    It's called expectation. Our supporters have it in abundance and why there is more moaning I guess.

I have the third season on the DVR to watch at some point.

I have enjoyed watching the first two series and, though obviously it was a bit of a random (maybe measured would be a better word?) choice of club, it does appear that the star owners are putting time and effort (and, obviously, some cash) into the club and town and I'm sure the fans of Wrexham have been enjoying the ride to date.

That said, to a certain extent I can obviously enjoy this because Wrexham (in their current position anyway) aren't yet on our footballing radar but I do wonder how supporters of teams that are closer to them in the pyramid feel about their near magical turnaround. I'm sure Notts County find them totally annoying, although they have been featured enough to the point that even they are getting some reflected attention through themselves being reported on tv.

Ownership of clubs is always going to be a thorny subject, especially when playing fields appear to get tilted.

I'm not sure what my point was, but it is entertaining viewing for a footballing neutral.

I read the Paul Mullen autobiography and he had nothing but praise for the owners and regards them as very down to earth and humble, the fans love them, as well they should.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)