+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tickets allocation?

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    All about opinions Jules. I can't help thinking that Nudger is saying what he's saying in pure blind faith, it wouldn't be the first time. However, i hope he's right and the club can push on.
    Me too. I think blind faith is what made me pay for two season tickets during a season and a half of a pandemic, and looking back I’m a lot more sceptical than I have ever been. Not just of our clubs owners, but the owners of the majority of clubs League one top end and higher….
    I’m enthused when I’m in the ground, yet not when I’m home….. I will say though in fairness to the board since the changes that they are appearing to make some good moves to attach to the community again. A winning team definitely helps, but hopefully they value us a bit more than Conway and Lee did. I read Khaleds article and it did make a lot of good points, the club feels more together…… he seems to be “in tune” a bit more than Conway.

By the way…. Does anyone know yet what % Lee still has? And will he be present at Wembley do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post

By the way…. Does anyone know yet what % Lee still has? And will he be present at Wembley do you think?
    The current BFC Ownership Structure is--

A Shares

Parekh 35.88%
    Reynolds Hedge Fund (JAQ) 6.11%
    Lee 30.6%
    PMG-Conway and Hung 7.05%

B Shares

Crynes 20.36%

In the three Share Rights Issues this season Lee and PMG have bought up virtually all their entitlements worth over £2 million. If Parekh were to buy Lee and PMG out it would cost him this £2+ million plus the cost of Lee and Conway/ Hung's original Consortium shares from the 2017 takeover.
    Lee, Conway and Hung combined own more shares than Parekh so Parekh would need to more than double his present holding to buy them out.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 24-05-2023 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    do you think they have a bottomless pot Nudge?
    No - that’s not what I’m suggesting here.
    Only thing that Jean Cryne said to me that I didn’t agree with was something on the lines of - the fan base is only in the region of 12 to 15 k.
    That statement has probably been said in the boardroom.

We have also had suggestions on here that if Oakwell was developed we should look for a capacity much smaller than 30k (which included away support).
    Which has probably been read by the directors.

What I’m saying is - if there is a good Barnsley turnout at Wembley - are the directors going to look at the potential at Barnsley differently - and from that are they going to look at any changes to Oakwell differently.

I'm not sure the 30K fans and families enjoying the day out in the sun at Wembley will be there at Oakwell for Birmingham at home (if we go up) or Wycombe at home (if we dont) on a February Tuesday neet Nudge.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    I'm not sure the 30K fans and families enjoying the day out in the sun at Wembley will be there at Oakwell for Birmingham at home (if we go up) or Wycombe at home (if we dont) on a February Tuesday neet Nudge.
    30K stadium.
    Holding 25k home and 5k away supporters.

There are 1000s of supporters that over the years have become fed up with the club and stopped going to games.
    I’m convinced we could sell 25K STs if we ever became a successful club.
    Successful as in regularly being near the top of the championship with spells in the Premier.
    It’s never been tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    30K stadium.
    Holding 25k home and 5k away supporters.

There are 1000s of supporters that over the years have become fed up with the club and stopped going to games.
    I’m convinced we could sell 25K STs if we ever became a successful club.
    Successful as in regularly being near the top of the championship with spells in the Premier.
    It’s never been tested.
    This could be the "big and exciting news" Ahmad has been teasing us with for weeks. A state of the art new stadium with ST's cheaper than Bradford City's rammed with 30K fans.

Ahmad is clearly waiting for Monday's game before anything is announced so as not to take attention away from the game.

We were regularly near the top of the Second Division playing wonderful football in the Banks/ Glavin era of the early 80's but attendances never rose to Nudge levels.

This could be the "big and exciting news" Ahmad has been teasing us with for weeks. A state of the art new stadium with ST's cheaper than Bradford City's rammed with 30K fans.

Ahmad is clearly waiting for Monday's game before anything is announced so as not to take attention away from the game.

We were regularly near the top of the Second Division playing wonderful football in the Banks/ Glavin era of the early 80's but attendances never rose to Nudge levels.
    What you say about the eighties is spot on , football wise it was a golden era, Nudge has banged this drum about us losing fans over the years but it simply is not true , generations come & go through life bur roughly our catchment area & potential fan base is the same whilst I would argue that we get a lot better support for this level of football now than we ever have, when I started watching the reds in the early sixties we were in the third division then & football was affordable but we hardly ever had a 5 figure crowd & through the decades even when we have had a successful period crowds have struggled compared to others in our area , we had the year in the premier league which was always going to sell out but if we were there on a regular basis our crowds would have a saturation point below Nudges expectation levels , even our big city rivals from Sheffield have never averaged regular crowds of over 30k during successful times & both those clubs have very loyal support . To me any new stadium would have to be planned with the capabilities of having a ground big enough for the top flight but to me that would be something around the 22 k mark allowing for potentially 2 to 3 k away fans but the chances of us reaching the top flight for a consistent level of time are extremely slim & that has to be taken into consideration .

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    What you say about the eighties is spot on , football wise it was a golden era, Nudge has banged this drum about us losing fans over the years but it simply is not true , generations come & go through life bur roughly our catchment area & potential fan base is the same whilst I would argue that we get a lot better support for this level of football now than we ever have, when I started watching the reds in the early sixties we were in the third division then & football was affordable but we hardly ever had a 5 figure crowd & through the decades even when we have had a successful period crowds have struggled compared to others in our area , we had the year in the premier league which was always going to sell out but if we were there on a regular basis our crowds would have a saturation point below Nudges expectation levels , even our big city rivals from Sheffield have never averaged regular crowds of over 30k during successful times & both those clubs have very loyal support . To me any new stadium would have to be planned with the capabilities of having a ground big enough for the top flight but to me that would be something around the 22 k mark allowing for potentially 2 to 3 k away fans but the chances of us reaching the top flight for a consistent level of time are extremely slim & that has to be taken into consideration .
    My earliest memory was being in a large Oakwell crowd in 1961 against Luton in the FA Cup. We won 1-0 with Lunn lobbing their keeper as he came charging out from his goal and I was hooked from then on. But tha reyt Shads. Attendances in the sixties were around the 4000 to 5000 mark. Fans spoke of "the faithful 5000". Oceans of room standing on that shale Spion Kop.

Season Ticket sales now average around 8500 including a significant number of kids tickets bought for £10 a season for kids who often do not attend but their seat is used by ST holders mates at "big" games using tickets bought for other areas. The attendance figure published is always tickets sold rather than those actually there. I would say about 7000 to 7500 ST's actually attend plus another 1000 match day tickets plus the away following--making about 10K in all actually there as opposed to the published 12K.

To get anywhere near 25K regularly would be remarkable.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 25-05-2023 at 09:08 AM.

My earliest memory was being in a large Oakwell crowd in 1961 against Luton in the FA Cup. We won 1-0 with Lunn lobbing their keeper as he came charging out from his goal and I was hooked from then on. But tha reyt Shads. Attendances in the sixties were around the 4000 to 5000 mark. Fans spoke of "the faithful 5000". Oceans of room standing on that shale Spion Kop.

Season Ticket sales now average around 8500 including a significant number of kids tickets bought for £10 a season for kids who often do not attend but their seat is used by ST holders mates at "big" games using tickets bought for other areas. The attendance figure published is always tickets sold rather than those actually there. I would say about 7000 to 7500 ST's actually attend plus another 1000 match day tickets plus the away following--making about 10K in all actually there as opposed to the published 12K.

To get anywhere near 25K regularly would be remarkable.
    I was at that Luton match SB , Happy Days .I agree with you about attendances , some of our fans think we have thousands of supporters who are staying away & need to be enticed back but the truth is generations of supporters come & go & due to natural evolution but basically our crowds have gradually increased since the sixties but crowds will always fluctuate due to many different factors , for example current form, league we are playing in , cost of living etc etc but the idea of us rocketing to the big time & crowds etc going in tandem then I am afraid its not going to happen , for a club & town of our size & the geographical location we occupy we actually do not do too bad but our crowds going up & down is basically down to what is happening on the pitch therefore whilst we do not want to stand still & investment both on & off the pitch is required then this has to be sensible , no good building a 40 k stadium for the future when more rational thinking would be better if you get my drift .

A few notes:
    The 80s wernt the golden age at Barnsley.
    We had the miners strike during the mid 80s and because of how the club maintained prices during the strike I still know supporters that did not return to Oakwell after that strike.

We cannot compare ourselves to the Sheffield clubs - principally because those 2 club have a far bigger success story compared to Barnsley.
    Hence an Unknown number of football supporters from the Barnsley District have deserted their own town and joined these 2 clubs.

So compared to those clubs we are in a position of not really knowing what’s possible at Barnsley.
    But we keep getting little glimpses.

For example:
    Couldn’t get into Oakwell during the Premier season unless you had a season ticket.
    Big following when we get to a semi final or play off final.

For decades Barnsley could be put into the same bracket as clubs like Bolton, Blackburn and Burnley.
    We know that some of those clubs have overstretched - but all those clubs have experienced success in their recent history.
    Barnsley hasn’t.

We need to stop the rollercoaster ride that’s being going on now for 20 odd years.
    In which …..
    nothing built on the field
    nothing built off the field.

I was hoping Chien Lee would bring stability and build year on year - he didn’t.
    I’ve got my fingers crossed that Neerav will..
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 25-05-2023 at 04:56 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast