+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Nottingham Castle Closes / Liquidators Appointed

It's an incredible shame that we've never really exploited the tourism potential of Robin Hood and the history of Nottingham. I know we don't have all the medieval buildings left, like in York, but with a bit of investment and marketing, Nottingham has enough to attract plenty of tourists, which of course has a big boost to the city. It's disappointing nobody in a position to harness the potential does anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    It's an incredible shame that we've never really exploited the tourism potential of Robin Hood and the history of Nottingham. I know we don't have all the medieval buildings left, like in York, but with a bit of investment and marketing, Nottingham has enough to attract plenty of tourists, which of course has a big boost to the city. It's disappointing nobody in a position to harness the potential does anything.
    There's been attempt after attempt. I can't recall them all, there was that theme park near Ilkeston, the Adventures of Robin Hood (or whatever it was called) in Maid Marian Way, Sherwood Forest itself (the visitors centre has improved a bit over the years). I've often had to take overseas or visitors to the UK around the general tourist trail if you can call it that. Some kids enjoy the National Justice Museum on High Pavement, the caves are interesting as is Wollaton Park which is pleasant to go to. The Castle has always underwhelmed and whilst I've not been there since its refurbishment it seemed to be neither this nor that. Some art, some military history, nice views and the Trip nearby for a drink. Its history is more interesting but that doesn't attract the masses. The cafe was exhorbitantly expensive and when I took my granddaughter a couple or three years back we waited till we were in town to get a bite to eat and a coffee.

I don't know what would make the attraction a revenue earning enterprise - I doubt that it can be and it should probably revert to being a more accessible and cheaper place to visit and rely on incidental expenditure and footfall in the city.

Bring back Richard Greene and his Merrie Men.

In all fairness Roberto… £30 odd million quid in lottery money was quite an investment.

Nottingham has eroded, demolished and destroyed any semblance of its history. It’s a giant student campus… that’s it.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 22-11-2022 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Absolutely, in all my many years I've never understood why Nottingham never milked the whole Robin Hood thing. The castle should have been made to look like a castle years ago. Not rebuild it but make it look more like a castle. I've spoken to many tourists over the years in the pubs around it and they're all very disappointed how it looks.

I see it was £39 for a family ticket, for what????

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    I visited recently. Thought it was okay (not great, but okay) apart from all the F*****t propaganda.

Tourism generally in Notts is hopeless.
    I'm told Mortimer's Hole is still open for inspection - although I appreciate that will only appeal to a small sub-set of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    A great shame I was hoping to take my kids when I come back next year, 2 of whom have never even been to Nottingham.
    I managed to get my kids over there when they were 8 and 10. Didn't go in the castle itself, I knew they would not be interested in all the WW2 stuff which is all I remember about the place. As we all know, castle by name, not by nature. Did walk around the grounds and they were having a Time Team type dig which was interesting.

Did a cave tour, took them around the grounds at Wollaton Hall, mushy pea stall in the Viccy centre and obviously a match at Meadow Lane. Ticked off Morrisons at Gamston (or was it Asda) as none of us had seen a supermarket with an escalator in it before, the Ruddo chip shop, Peoples College to explain a couple of scars and a few other places from my youth.

One unexpected disappointment I will warn you about. Dropped in to Lantry's for old times sake, got a table as it was quiet and then got kicked out because they don't serve kids. My favourite city centre pub now dead to me. Went in to the Bell and left quickly as well. Ended up at the Trip which they all enjoyed.

Looking at going back next year as well.

I think the Castle needs to dop any ideas of being a "world class" attraction and revert to type - nice free gardens for locals to eat their lunch in and a reasonably priced cafe. If the private sector can be duped into developing a Robin Hood attraction in the Castle so be it.

A 'city of rebellion gallery' (!) isn't going to make many folks part with £30.

The most appealing Castle event to me was the annual beer festival, but even that was ditched.

Quote Originally Posted by Another one View Post
    I managed to get my kids over there when they were 8 and 10. Didn't go in the castle itself, I knew they would not be interested in all the WW2 stuff which is all I remember about the place. As we all know, castle by name, not by nature. Did walk around the grounds and they were having a Time Team type dig which was interesting.

Did a cave tour, took them around the grounds at Wollaton Hall, mushy pea stall in the Viccy centre and obviously a match at Meadow Lane. Ticked off Morrisons at Gamston (or was it Asda) as none of us had seen a supermarket with an escalator in it before, the Ruddo chip shop, Peoples College to explain a couple of scars and a few other places from my youth.

One unexpected disappointment I will warn you about. Dropped in to Lantry's for old times sake, got a table as it was quiet and then got kicked out because they don't serve kids. My favourite city centre pub now dead to me. Went in to the Bell and left quickly as well. Ended up at the Trip which they all enjoyed.

Looking at going back next year as well.
    I have a tick in the box on the supermarket as Weymouth Asda has one. I think I will be at Wrexham away if my mate who is a season ticket holder can get tickets and I will probably squeeze one in at Meadow Lane. I have no family left in Nottingham now as they all moved but a few mates, so its kind of out of the way to go there but I will make the effort. Flights are cheapest at Easter. Do not even look at the prices in August unless you are either a billionaire or sitting down with a stiff whisky.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I have a tick in the box on the supermarket as Weymouth Asda has one. I think I will be at Wrexham away if my mate who is a season ticket holder can get tickets and I will probably squeeze one in at Meadow Lane. I have no family left in Nottingham now as they all moved but a few mates, so its kind of out of the way to go there but I will make the effort. Flights are cheapest at Easter. Do not even look at the prices in August unless you are either a billionaire or sitting down with a stiff whisky.
    NZ$25K for four of us at Christmas, $12K at Easter. Don't think I will ever stumble out of the Bell after Christmas shopping to see all the lights twinkling in the square again.

Got a stiff whisky in front of me. It helps watching England bat.

Went last year and the biggest attraction was three large rooms dedicated to Paul Smith. Some of that was interesting but have to say that on the whole it didn't really impress that much. There were more people in the café and gift shop than actually having a proper look around the castle itself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast