+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Most Sustainable Football Clubs.

Most Sustainable Football Clubs.

At the moment that’ll be the Premier League and Step 3 and below in non league football like my own semi pro side Stourbridge.

We are allowed crowds of 600 at our level yet the top level of non league football in the National League and the level below at National North and National South are not allowed any crowds.

Crazy isn’t it.

As long as your wage levels are sensible Southern Premier, Northern Premier and Ithsmian Premier clubs are sustainable and all of those above right up to and including Championship are in s h I t street.

This makes no sense whatsoever and will leave clubs at Stourbridge’s level questioning whether getting promoted is a poisoned chalice?

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    At the moment that’ll be the Premier League and Step 3 and below in non league football like my own semi pro side Stourbridge.

We are allowed crowds of 600 at our level yet the top level of non league football in the National League and the level below at National North and National South are not allowed any crowds.

Crazy isn’t it.

As long as your wage levels are sensible Southern Premier, Northern Premier and Ithsmian Premier clubs are sustainable and all of those above right up to and including Championship are in s h I t street.

This makes no sense whatsoever and will leave clubs at Stourbridge’s level questioning whether getting promoted is a poisoned chalice?

The time has come for the following Mick as agree with you:

1. More revenue from Premier Clubs to be redirected from Sky etc to those less fortunate for the good of football!
    2. More revenue being redirected from the FA to grass routes i.e like Europe where kids are not playing without changing rooms and on dog s hit pitches like in this country!
    3. Sensible salary caps ie 49K a week ( more than most dream of earning in a year ). So f uck off Zohore!
    4. More community feel for the public and fan ownership of clubs like Germany! So f uck off Lai etc
    5. Empty seats to be allocated to kids/families less fortunate - could be life time supporters and they will still buy coke and fries!
    6. Thick pundits banned who already have made their riches from playing days. I would rather have a Joe Public pundit who knows his football as opposed to a thick Ferdinand/Moore/Wright!
    7. More value placed on supporters by clubs. Stores etc offer loyalty/reward schemes/discounts but what do football clubs offer - a f uckin one off drink by that little runt a few years ago! Such loyalty!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    The time has come for the following Mick as agree with you:

1. More revenue from Premier Clubs to be redirected from Sky etc to those less fortunate for the good of football!
    2. More revenue being redirected from the FA to grass routes i.e like Europe where kids are not playing without changing rooms and on dog s hit pitches like in this country!
    3. Sensible salary caps ie 49K a week ( more than most dream of earning in a year ). So f uck off Zohore!
    4. More community feel for the public and fan ownership of clubs like Germany! So f uck off Lai etc
    5. Empty seats to be allocated to kids/families less fortunate - could be life time supporters and they will still buy coke and fries!
    6. Thick pundits banned who already have made their riches from playing days. I would rather have a Joe Public pundit who knows his football as opposed to a thick Ferdinand/Moore/Wright!
    7. More value placed on supporters by clubs. Stores etc offer loyalty/reward schemes/discounts but what do football clubs offer - a f uckin one off drink by that little runt a few years ago! Such loyalty!
    Good points Al.

I'd add in the cost of watching the game. I have spent a fair bit of time in Munich over the years. On several occasions after speaking with Bayern fans after a game, the prices are affordable for all. S/T's average around 140 Euros plus they do discounted packages for a single ticket that include your train fare to the game and a beer and a bite to eat. By contrast over here, the more loyalty you show the more inconvenience you suffer.

It's utterly pointless the Premier League clubs getting increases off Sky as they are so badly run that the only winners are agents and players as the clubs just increase already inflated wages and as businesses are no better off. Sadly, there isn't the collective will or foresight to look at the bigger picture which would include thinking of the next generations of supporters, agreeing sensible wage structures and considering the infrastructure below the PL. It's all about the short term which is why many clubs in the top 2 leagues haven't got a pot to pi** in when you consider the overall financial picture and its dependency on one customer (SKY) which for any business is suicidal in the longer term.

At the moment that’ll be the Premier League and Step 3 and below in non league football like my o wn semi pro side Stourbridge.

Crazy isn’t it.

Agree Mick, for both my Biggleswade teams it has actually been a bit of a bonus as gates are slightly up from the usual 200. Wealth does need to be shared and really 50% of the Sky money should flow down, otherwise we will loose the English game..

Really good points and I agree completely.

My 9 year old is one of those playing at away grounds with no changing rooms, often no toilets, and **** pitches that haven’t even been cut half the time. We are lucky enough to be part of a club which has these facilities but they are maintained mainly by parents fundraising, bag packing etc, and the goodwill of others who often played as kids and want to help. It’s so sad really, and they all have to start somewhere. Let’s help and encourage more home grown talent instead of making it such a struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    Agree Mick, for both my Biggleswade teams it has actually been a bit of a bonus as gates are slightly up from the usual 200. Wealth does need to be shared and really 50% of the Sky money should flow down, otherwise we will loose the English game..
    I know Tracey Dorrington who runs Biggleswade with her dad and only last week we were discussing their problems......nice girl Tracey.

Ridiculous that Biggleswade has three non league teams instead of one side pulling in 500 fans a week.

My team Folkestone Invicta play in the Isthmian Premier which allows up to 600 fans each game which means that we can just about keep our head above water. However, our noisy neighbours from over the hill, Dover Athletic, play in the National League and are on the verge of folding with no prospect of getting any gate money in the future to pay the players. This can't be right.

I know Tracey Dorrington who runs Biggleswade with her dad and only last week we were dis cussing their problems......nice girl Tracey.

Ridiculous that Biggleswade has three non league teams instead of one side pulling in 500 fans a week.
    Tracey is lovely runs the Bar, TBH I had quite a falling out with her dad Maurice and other sister of them taking the piss out of local funding got on the back of the Independent youth setup, but enough on that. Of the three Biggleswade clubs United is a very well run club, owned by Guileme Balague of sky sports Spanish football fame, top bloke and absolutely committed to the community. I think the two times you and I met were at Town v Stour games a few years back one in the league and once the cup?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)