+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Would it be negative?

Would it be negative?

I thought about posting this on ‘The Problem’ thread, but that disintegrated into the usual trend about 100 posts ago.

Anyway, regarding the title, would it be negative, or advantageous, to adopt a style of play similar to Leicester City when they won the league? That’s to say, sit back and absorb the pressure without having to do too much with the ball and use our slick attacking forces to win games?

Would that be suited to our status and style or would teams be happy not to press us and just sit back happy for a point? I’d be inclined to think that our players would be more comfortable with that style rather than to be more inventive and comfortable on the ball.

If I remember rightly they packed the middle of the pitch, let teams attack down the flanks and put as many crosses in as they wanted because they backed Huth and Morgan to deal with them.

Not sure I'd back our defence to do the same.

Attacking wise it probably suits us more to play with rapid counter attacks, but the problem is teams would probably settle for a draw against us so wouldn't necessarily come out and attack us.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    If I remember rightly they packed the middle of the pitch, let teams attack down the flanks and put as many crosses in as they wanted because they backed Huth and Morgan to deal with them.

Not sure I'd back our defence to do the same.

Attacking wise it probably suits us more to play with rapid counter attacks, but the problem is teams would probably settle for a draw against us so wouldn't necessarily come out and attack us.
    No. Difference being teams actually attacked Leicester and left themselves exposed. Leicester won the League with under 40% possession. They also had Vardy who is simply the beat at what he does.
    Notts are considered a big scalp in the NL and teams would be happy to take a draw.

Exactly we don’t have anyone like Vardy never mind Wes Morgan!

1st thing you would need is a manager who would try that style of football, but we're halfway there with the ball spending more time in our own half than the oppositions

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    1st thing you would need is a manager who would try that style of football, but we're halfway there with the ball spending more time in our own half than the oppositions
    Surprised it only took until the 5th post before another pro/anti NA.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    It would be a bit odd if a thread about our style of play didn't include Ardley and his tactics!

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    To be honest, when I was the thread title I thought that would be the subject!

To get back to the point, no, I don't think they would be good, or successful tactics in this league.

We should try playing to our strengths for once, instead of fannying around in in our own penalty box.. As a reminder to the manager We have attacking players capable of destroying defences, We have a midfield blessed with football League experiance and defenders who have also played at far higher levels..If we allowed players to play to their strengths, then there is no reason why we should not walk this tin pot league..

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    It would be a bit odd if a thread about our style of play didn't include Ardley and his tactics!
    So basically this is another of those threads where we can talk about NA’s suitability? Hmmm just like the last God knows how many.
    It’s amazing how the first few responses to the original question were around the players needed and in my case the fact that teams would happily take a draw from us in this league.
    IF Ardley or any manager adopted a let’s sit and soak up pressure and hope teams actually attack us tactic, the clamour of boos at ML would be as bitter as the Trew days. In fact, most of you on here demand that we are more on the front foot because Ardley is too negative. You couldn’t make this up.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast