+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: '93,'95,'96 The three best strikers in the world

'93,'95,'96 The three best strikers in the world

1993 Andy Cole from Bristol City for £1.75m
    1995 Les Ferdinand from Q.P.R. for £6.0m
    1996 Alan Shearer from Blackburn for £15m

Astonishing fact that over a short period of three years we had three of the best strikers in the world at this club for a combined total of under £23m.

We can thank the Sir John and K.K. era for for some of the most exciting football seen at this club.

How long before the like returns.

Aye, we were lucky to have seen them.

I remember every time Cole got the ball in that season he got the record, he looked like he was going to score. He was lethal and I think we saw the best of him as a striker. Ferguson wanted him to play a different role at Man U which he eventually became effective at but, as a striker, I think he was at his best here.

Sir Les was an awesome presence up front and absolutely incredible in the air but with Shearer the two of them were even greater than the already considerable sum of their parts.

Sherarer....sigh.....it's all been said, really. To think that we were the club the whole football world were looking at (note for the cynics, I said 'at' not 'up to') when we bought him.

I won't say those days will never return because you just never know-I mean, look at Leicester. I'm not one of those who says 'ah, that will never happen again' because, despite it being unlikely, it still absolutely could and if it could happen to another ambitious, forward-thinking, out-of-left-field team who manage to take advantage of other teams' failings, then why couldn't that team be us?

One day.

But, as we all know, with this bastard in charge, we will never amount to anything more than scrambling to avoid relegation each season. Each season under him pushes that distant dream even further away and damages our chances of even just competing in the top half so until he's gone, it's all moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Aye, we were lucky to have seen them.

I remember every time Cole got the ball in that season he got the record, he looked like he was going to score. He was lethal and I think we saw the best of him as a striker. Ferguson wanted him to play a different role at Man U which he eventually became effective at but, as a striker, I think he was at his best here.

Sir Les was an awesome presence up front and absolutely incredible in the air but with Shearer the two of them were even greater than the already considerable sum of their parts.

Sherarer....sigh.....it's all been said, really. To think that we were the club the whole football world were looking at (note for the cynics, I said 'at' not 'up to') when we bought him.

I won't say those days will never return because you just never know-I mean, look at Leicester. I'm not one of those who says 'ah, that will never happen again' because, despite it being unlikely, it still absolutely could and if it could happen to another ambitious, forward-thinking, out-of-left-field team who manage to take advantage of other teams' failings, then why couldn't that team be us?

One day.

But, as we all know, with this bastard in charge, we will never amount to anything more than scrambling to avoid relegation each season. Each season under him pushes that distant dream even further away and damages our chances of even just competing in the top half so until he's gone, it's all moot.
    Probably the best thing you've wrote that I've read of your Zippy man.

I too have that deep seated (delusional) belief that one day, some time in the not so distant future a shift in the time space continuum shall transport us to a dimension where Mike Ashley choked on his own vomit after a power drinking session and the Toon was purchased from his estate by a wealthy ambitious passionate owner; once again we played wide free-flowing attacking exciting football.

In this crisis lets hope that opportunity becomes reality.

There's always hope, man,. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    There's always hope, man,. Always.
    https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2020/03/2...the-telegraph/

So here we go again. The Saudi's and Amanda Staveley's mob have registered the bid with the Prem.

With lardo's business facing a beasting we could be in for good news, hope don't fail me now!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)