+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: one of the reasons why we cant get the ball to stick up front?

one of the reasons why we cant get the ball to stick up front?

1️⃣ Lukas Jutkiewicz - a foul committed every 27 minutes
    2️⃣ Freddie Ladapo - 32
    3️⃣ Gustavo Hamer - 33
    4️⃣ Adebayo Akinfenwa- 34
    ➡️ Jack Colback - 34
    ➡️ James Collins - 34
    7️⃣ Nathaniel Chalobah - 35

I wunt have thought smith and Vassell are too far off that list either

That seems a hell of a long time between fouls. I'm pretty sure all those players commit more than 3 or 4 fouls per game on average.
    I would say Vassell commits a foul every couple of minutes.......receives ball, fails to control it, fouls opponent trying to get it back......and repeat ad infinitum.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    That seems a hell of a long time between fouls. I'm pretty sure all those players commit more than 3 or 4 fouls per game on average.
    I would say Vassell commits a foul every couple of minutes.......receives ball, fails to control it, fouls opponent trying to get it back......and repeat ad infinitum.
    Can't see that being the case Mellow. Most refs use a totting up method during matches. Anyone fouling persistently would get a booking and then sent of even if the fouls individually are not serious ones.
    I agree with your assessment of Vassell up to the point where he fails to control or loses the ball. Rather than then foul an opponent he tends to fall over and appeal for a foul. He doesn't get away with that either.

The reason we can't make the ball stick up front is our target men. As much as I like Michael Smith you can't compare him to be anywhere near the class of Didier Drogba.
    If we're intent on playing hoofball then the target man not only has to hold the ball up,bring team-mates into play, win headers, make sure the opposition defenders don't get an easy ride a target man has to be mobile, technically adept, athletic and tactically astute. We should practice playing through the target man with short, sharp incisive passing.
    When was the last time we saw a quick one-two on the edge of the box. We're too reliant on set plays.
    Miller must be carrying an injury, he's not been involved for a while.

It doesn’t stick because the receiving player has his back to goal and his nearest team mate is 10 yards away.

A drawback of 4-5-1 and its variants

It doesn't stick because of the quality of the balls up top more often than not. They aren't aimed a lot of the time, rather panicked punts so they don't allow the striker to get set and bring under control. As Grist said also, the support players are often nowhere near for flick ons either. Supply needs to be better rather than our strikers hold up being particularly bad

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    1️⃣ Lukas Jutkiewicz - a foul committed every 27 minutes
    2️⃣ Freddie Ladapo - 32
    3️⃣ Gustavo Hamer - 33
    4️⃣ Adebayo Akinfenwa- 34
    ➡️ Jack Colback - 34
    ➡️ James Collins - 34
    7️⃣ Nathaniel Chalobah - 35

I wunt have thought smith and Vassell are too far off that list either
    A bit racist Roly

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    It doesn't stick because of the quality of the balls up top more often than not. They aren't aimed a lot of the time, rather panicked punts so they don't allow the striker to get set and bring under control. As Grist said also, the supporot players are often nowhere near for flick ons either. Supply needs to be better rather than our strikers hold up being particularly bad
    Surely both apply.
    Decent quality ball in to the forwards and the forwards being able to bring other players into play.
    It must be hard work for Michael Smith up front, more often than not he has two Centre Backs marking him, even when he wins the header it drops to no one in particular because of lack of support.
    The annoying thing is we have some decent players in our squad, quite capable of expressing themselves on the pitch proven by some of the better performances this season.
    We should also stop paying opposition too much respect.

How many are actual fouls though from us though? Smith only has to breath on someone and they go down to which ref falls for

I’m not surprised by some in that list though especially Lukas Jutkiewicz
    Last edited by millertop; 12-01-2021 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    How many are actual fouls though,? Smith only has to breath on someone and they go down to which ref falls for
    I doubt very much our ' fouls against ' are any worse than our opponents ,more or less the same as the opposition given a foul or two.