+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O T Covid

O T Covid

When this terrible pandemic first raised it's ugly head in the UK around the beginning of March last year, scientists were predicting it could kill 20,000 people.

What a load of rubbish I thought, 20,000, that's a decent gate for a top Championship Club. I am sure that I am not the only one who thought that, how wrong we all were. I have followed the rules, and am lucky living in a village, with open fields and foot paths to walk on. What it must feel like for someone living in a Tower Block, I can not imagine.

After the 20,000 mark was reached the death rate seemed to slow through the summer, but all the time the total was slowly creeping up towards 40,000. That is a hell of a lot of people, yet some of the public didn't believe in Covid. They were claiming it was a scam, put about by the Politicians. Black Lives Matter protests went on, street parties and raves took place. Relatives travelled to all parts to meet up. Life appeared to be almost back to normal in some eyes.

We were warned that a second wave could hit and be worse, did folks heed the warning, I think not. We have now topped 90,000 dead. That is Molineux Stadium sold out for three games. 100,000 will be reached next week, with each day averaging over 1,000 deaths at the moment.

My daughter is a nurse in Derby Hospital, yesterday there were anti Covid protesters marching outside the Main Entrance. Brain dead or what?

There is light at the end of the tunnel with the arrival of the vaccines. We have a population of around 68 million in the UK, but at the moment only 3 million have been able to receive the jab. I am awaiting the call, but my daughter who is on the front line, has not been offered one yet.

I questioned the original estimate for deaths, but I feel sure that no one could have foreseen the devastation this virus has caused.

Stay safe everyone.

tidy informative post george..
    we too live in a small rural village ,but have had a few cases, nobody hospitalised as yet.
    the government is faced with awful decisions. think that stopping all flights in march 2020 would have helped.
    in an earlier post i said allowing 3 families ( 12-16 people ) spend xmas day together would push the case rate up.
    as for the loony lefties protesting about everything under the sun , well if any of them cop a dose of this virus ( that does not exist )
    will they seek medical help ?
    easy to blame the government , but nobody is spreading this disease other than joe public.

looking forward to happier times..

Work in a school and can’t wait for this to end. We’ve floated back and forth between doing everything remotely and a hybrid model where half the kids come each day. Neither has been ideal.

It’s been rough here in the states. Worried about vaccine rollout as our health care system is about as organized as the Collyer brothers’ home. Plus the significant amount of anti-vaxxers in this country (many of whom were advocating for herd immunity as a covid reaponse.....)

Can’t speak for the UK but in the US, it was shown that the BLM protests did not lead to massive case increases (most likely credited to the summer weather here and many organizers passing out masks to protesters).

I get annoyed with some of the individuals around this country ignoring rules and recommendations. But at the end of the day, people listen to government officials. And unfortunately we had a fair share here claiming it was overblown or a hoax. Very sad as thousands of lives could have been saved.

I was contacted yesterday by letter about my Covid jab. Directed to a web site, I am now booked in for the first of two Vaccine injections. The first on Friday the 5th Feb with the follow up booked for April.

Although the daily figures for infections are falling, we are still seeing over 1,000 deaths a day, and the total death toll stands at over 105,000. That's a full Wembley and a few more!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    I was contacted yesterday by letter about my Covid jab. Directed to a web site, I am now booked in for the first of two Vaccine injections. The first on Friday the 5th Feb with the follow up booked for April.

Although the daily figures for infections are falling, we are still seeing over 1,000 deaths a day, and the total death toll stands at over 105,000. That's a full Wembley and a few more!!!!
    How about that! I have just been notified that my first jab is tomorrow also . I think mine will be later than yours though because of the time difference.

Good luck old son!!

Just back from the vaccination centre, very well organised with loads of volunteer helpers. Pleased to get that out of the way, Second vaccination booked for April.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    Just back from the vaccination centre, very well organised with loads of volunteer helpers. Pleased to get that out of the way, Second vaccination booked for April.
    Just got done, same experience as you describe. The center was on the car park of a local sport stadium, hundreds and hundreds of cars but the organization was brilliant , complimented by a whole bunch of very pleasant volunteers despite the fact the weather was disgusting.

Next shot in three weeks!

got to hand it to the government, they have nailed this immunisation lark .

come under fire for the way the pandemic has been handled , but as we speak some 11 million folk have
    now been jabbed...glad we left the EU, we would probably be still waiting ...

According to what I have heard seasonal flu hasn't made an appearance this year, and hospital admissions for it have been zero.
    So either the mask's and social distancing work against the flu but not against Covid or they are lumping Covid cases with flu.
    I said at the start of the virus last year that vaccinations wouldn't stop Covid, because Covid is a virus and viruses mutate as we are seeing. We still can't cure flu or even the common cold, both of which can kill the elderly or people who have underlying illnesses.
    Doctors have admitted they don't know how effective the vaccine will be against the new south African strain or if it will be effective at all. They don't know how effective long term the vaccine will be against ordinary Covid.
    Covid is a killer and we should be on our guard against it, but the media have caused a lot of hysteria and panic among the population.
    We have long accepted that cancer, heart disease and dementia kill thousands if not millions of people every year. But we don't panic about it. Nothing we can do.
    The word Covid terrifies people, even though most people don't know they have it, and only 0.5% develop a critical reaction, no consolation though if it's a loved one.
    Your chances of dying pre Covid were 100%, and your chances of dying post Covid are still 100%. The longer we live the more chance we have of dying sooner rather than later.
    What we are seeing is the result of year's of neglect of our NHS by successive governments and now we are paying the price. I think our NHS and it's wonderful workers deserve a lot more than a round of applause on a Thursday evening.
    The bottom line is, take Covid seriously and stay safe, but don't let it blight your life.
    We will all probably die of something other than Covid anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Greavseywolf View Post
    got to hand it to the government, they have nailed this immunisation lark .

come under fire for the way the pandemic has been handled , but as we speak some 11 million folk have
    now been jabbed...glad we left the EU, we would probably be still waiting ...

Regarding the EU, you are probably so right Greavsey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)