+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoke to a Leeds fan

Spoke to a Leeds fan

And he also said he would rather stay in the championship the way the Prem is. (Totally unprompted btw just came out with it) It’s looking like more and more supporters are fed up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    And he also said he would rather stay in the championship the way the Prem is. (Totally unprompted btw just came out with it) It’s looking like more and more supporters are fed up with it.

Understandably but if you asked the same question to Mr Patel he would quickly say the Premier League for his business interests. Once he starts getting cash out of his pocket then we can see his intentions. Anyone can talk the talk but can’t walk the walk so this pre season Patel can be judged!

A lot of fans come out with this stuff about loving the Championship but then they moan when we look like we’re going to miss out on the play offs.

It’s the same guff that gets said when a team drops into League One…..”Looking forwards to all them new away grounds blah, blah, blah”.

For me personally, those days from around 2010 when we were very competitive in the Prem for a few seasons were the most enjoyable seasons I’ve had since the early 80’s.

We were a very decent side with Foster, Reid, Olssen, G Mac, Morrison, Brunt, Gera, Odemwingie, Yacob, Scharner, Mulumbu and others.

Give me them players and beating Liverpool 3-0 on the opening day of the season ahead of the relative rubbish played in the Champ every day of the week.

Every Prem match felt like an event, Champ matches just don’t have the same kudos and feel.

I must admit I do prefer the matches in the Championship but in an ideal world I would like us to get promoted this season, grab the cash to be in a better place financially and be happy to play again in the Championship the following season. I enjoy going for promotion more than trying to hang on and avoid relegation. Plus I cannot stand VAR and prefer human error to the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    A lot of fans come out with this stuff about loving the Championship but then they moan when we look like we’re going to miss out on the play offs.

It’s the same guff that gets said when a team drops into League One…..”Looking forwards to all them new away grounds blah, blah, blah”.

For me personally, those days from around 2010 when we were very competitive in the Prem for a few seasons were the most enjoyable seasons I’ve had since the early 80’s.

We were a very decent side with Foster, Reid, Olssen, G Mac, Morrison, Brunt, Gera, Odemwingie, Yacob, Scharner, Mulumbu and others.

Give me them players and beating Liverpool 3-0 on the opening day of the season ahead of the relative rubbish played in the Champ every day of the week.

Every Prem match felt like an event, Champ matches just don’t have the same kudos and feel.
    I agree with you but with the proviso that we recruit the standard of players that you mention. However, my perception is that the World has moved on from those days and it would be far more difficult to build such a team nowadays; money and player expectations are more unrealistic for clubs like ours. I want to be able to go to matches and see us win more than we lose; I would rather see a Championship standard 1-0 win than a Premier quality 3-4 defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    I agree with you but with the proviso that we recruit the standard of players that you mention. However, my perception is that the World has moved on from those days and it would be far more difficult to build such a team nowadays; money and player expectations are more unrealistic for clubs like ours. I want to be able to go to matches and see us win more than we lose; I would rather see a Championship standard 1-0 win than a Premier quality 3-4 defeat.

Rather have Mick’s scenario every day of the week. Competition should be ruthless as should any financial income because foremost WBAFC is a business.

I love tennis but don’t want to play s hit players just for the satisfaction of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    There’s no point in even existing in that case Kets.

Strive the be in the second division……not for me thanks.

That type of mentality leads to it being okay to be in the third division at times with the desire to become a decent second tier side again.

That absolutely sucks.

No wonder JP got away with the comment that he made about us being a mid table Championship side!

Jeez!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    There’s no point in even existing in that case Kets.

Strive the be in the second division……not for me thanks.

That type of mentality leads to it being okay to be in the third division at times with the desire to become a decent second tier side again.

That absolutely sucks.

No wonder JP got away with the comment that he made about us being a mid table Championship side!

Jeez!
    It doesn’t matter about what mentality you have Mick, the Prem is a lousy league now. You have to inject millions into the team each season not to win anything but to give you a “chance” of not drowning as a relegation candidate. If those with pots of money cleared off into a super league maybe then it might be worth the effort. I really don’t think it’s just the usual sour grapes talk but rather a finally seeing the Prem for what it is. An elite league for the half a dozen teams to bask in at the expense of everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    It doesn’t matter about what mentality you have Mick, the Prem is a lousy league now. You have to inject millions into the team each season not to win anything but to give you a “chance” of not drowning as a relegation candidate. If those with pots of money cleared off into a super league maybe then it might be worth the effort. I really don’t think it’s just the usual sour grapes talk but rather a finally seeing the Prem for what it is. An elite league for the half a dozen teams to bask in at the expense of everyone else.

You are not wrong in your sentiments but only a fool would rather stay in a poor league in comparison. Kids who support West Brom would love to see the skills and talent from the likes of Man City etc ( even if we lose ) to be inspired.

Bit like saying kids who are really bright shouldn't push and challenge themselves in elite and gifted classes with like minded kids as opposed to being comfortable staying in classes with those who are thick.

I know for a fact Grady would be much more suited to premier football where it's not so aggressive and talent and skill shines rather than much of the dross you see in the championship.

I like to be entertained and don't mind losing. I would rather play a fantastic tennis player and get hammered 6-0 - 6-0 and learn something rather than have self satisfaction in beating someone who is completely crap!

If we go up, we will end up sacking Carlos pre Christmas prob end up with some players on wages higher than we need who will then want to go when we get relegated as this squad is no where near good enough for the Prem

Then we will be in s h I t street again

Maybe staying and getting a squad that Carlos is happy to play his way may be better for next year ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)