+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T: The National League Cup

O/T: The National League Cup

The PL have ‘teamed up’ with the NL to create The National League Cup.

16 PL2 U21 sides and 16 NL sides. 4 groups of 8 then a knock out.

All the money goes to the NL sides. Full details in the article.

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk...e-new-co-82763

Seems like another bag of sh*t to me.
    Last edited by LeftPeg_Pie; Yesterday at 02:37 PM.

A few key details;

4 groups of 8. Top 2 of each progress to the Quarter Finals.

All games in midweek and played at the NL sides ground.

Only 16 NL Teams participating (this in itself is a very interesting concept).

Combined prize fund of £1million that only the NL clubs will see.

Lets be right, the vast majority of those PL U21 players will end up playing in non league anyway when they're released by their clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftPeg_Pie View Post
    The PL have ‘teamed up’ with the NL to create The National League Cup.

16 PL2 U21 sides and 16 NL sides. 4 groups of 8 then a knock out.

All the money goes to the NL sides. Full details in the article.

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk...e-new-co-82763

Seems like another bag of sh*t to me.
    Why not just add NL to EFL Trophy?
    Hardly anybody cares about it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftPeg_Pie View Post

Only 16 NL Teams participating (this in itself is a very interesting concept).
    It's probably been explained somewhere but at-a-glance it looks like taking part is optional. It can't be the highest finishing 16 last season or current top 16 as York, Solihull and Hartlepool are missing, yet Braintree and Wealdstone are on the list of participants.
    Seeing how we treat cup competitions these days, I'd guess Notts would be opting out if we were still stuck in that league.

Possibly, or more likely, that it is a shoe in before it becomes compulsory.I Like the idea that only the payout goes to the National League,but we can smell a rat with that as it's probably a trojan horse with th PL sneaking something in for their youngsters game time.
    It's sad really that folk are mostly cynical when the PL are in the room, they should not have been so greedy in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dug Out View Post
    Possibly, or more likely, that it is a shoe in before it becomes compulsory.I Like the idea that only the payout goes to the National League,but we can smell a rat with that as it's probably a trojan horse with th PL sneaking something in for their youngsters game time.
    It's sad really that folk are mostly cynical when the PL are in the room, they should not have been so greedy in the past.
    That's my view. When Premiership U-21 teams were allowed into the Pisspot Trophy the plan was to go to 5 divisions and include them as EFL clubs. The opposition from fans of lower league clubs was massive, so thankfully it never took off. I used to go to EFL Trophy home games when it was just for the bottom two divisions, but I would never attend a game while U-21 teams are in it even if we got to Wembley.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    It's probably been explained somewhere but at-a-glance it looks like taking part is optional. It can't be the highest finishing 16 last season or current top 16 as York, Solihull and Hartlepool are missing, yet Braintree and Wealdstone are on the list of participants.
    Seeing how we treat cup competitions these days, I'd guess Notts would be opting out if we were still stuck in that league.
    4 teams including Southend decined to take part hence the inclusion of 4 lower finishing teams. Good for them!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That's my view. When Premiership U-21 teams were allowed into the Pisspot Trophy the plan was to go to 5 divisions and include them as EFL clubs. The opposition from fans of lower league clubs was massive, so thankfully it never took off. I used to go to EFL Trophy home games when it was just for the bottom two divisions, but I would never attend a game while U-21 teams are in it even if we got to Wembley.
    I'm with you on the boycott.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    I'm with you on the boycott.
    Me too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast