+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Some good points there RA, the government have shown no flexibility in the return to full time schooling in September, when some schools physically cannot maintain safe standards. Some of these would benefit from temporary classrooms, where possible. However, others would need to have reduced hours or possibly some kind of staggered hours.

But, surely you must agree that there has been a large scale 'generosity' in the teachers' assessments. When you consider the facts that around 20% have received the top grades, then 50% of the remaining assessments have been over rated. This is not an isolated few teachers taking advantage, this is widespread. But strangely, or maybe not, the entire focus of attention has been placed at the Government's door.

Unfortunately, because of the massive numbers of students appealing, some of the genuine ones will get lost in the system.
    Thanks.

It’s difficult to disagree that some teachers may have marked over generously. Beyond that I just don’t know but, as I’ve said, the priority has to be what happens from Sept’ onwards...and that IS the government’s responsibility.

Andy...I think people understand the need for people to self isolate/quarantine on their return. It’s the abruptness and timing which is a puzzle. The necessity for return from both Spain, some weeks ago, and now France were both announced at 10.00 pm and there seems to have been a curiously short and unrealistic window of opportunity for return in both cases.

Personally I’m also infuriated by the ferry, Tunnel and Airplane companies who appear to have profited from this ‘supply and demand’ attitude to customers. ‘All in this together’...I don’t think so.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Thanks.

It’s difficult to disagree that some teachers may have marked over generously. Beyond that I just don’t know but, as I’ve said, the priority has to be what happens from Sept’ onwards...and that IS the government’s responsibility.

Andy...I think people understand the need for people to self isolate/quarantine on their return. It’s the abruptness and timing which is a puzzle. The necessity for return from both Spain, some weeks ago, and now France were both announced at 10.00 pm and there seems to have been a curiously short and unrealistic window of opportunity for return in both cases.
    So would you suggest giving people a 14 day "free pass" to get infected and bring covid back? As noted above, its not being abroad that exposes you if you take normal precautions, its what you are doing when overseas that makes you higher risk

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    So would you suggest giving people a 14 day "free pass" to get infected and bring covid back? As noted above, its not being abroad that exposes you if you take normal precautions, its what you are doing when overseas that makes you higher risk
    Of course not, and I agree with your comments about going abroad...but why do we suddenly announce these things at 10.00 pm in the evening and seemingly give people thirty hours (I think) to get home which just - judging from the TV pictures - leads to horribly overcrowded
    ferries etc.
    One ‘expert’ (non-government) yesterday was actually telling people that they could manage the drive from Southern Europe in that time but weren’t allowed to stop for fuel/toilets/refreshments. Helpful that.

Of course not, and I agree with your comments about going abroad...but why do we suddenly announce these things at 10.00 pm in the evening and seemingly give people thirty hours (I think) to get home which just - judging from the TV pictures - leads to horribly overcrowded
    ferries etc.
    One ‘expert’ (non-government) yesterday was actually telling people that they could manage the drive from Southern Europe in that time but weren’t allowed to stop for fuel/toilets/refreshments. Helpful that.

In reality quarantines are ineffective, might ahve been useful from mid Feb when it was clear Italy, China etc had high levels of infection but now? They are just a lame government trying to appear on the ball, but actually its window dressing. The virus is circulating in evry country, however hospital admissions are down, the excess death rate is below normal.

An efficient track and trace system is whats required and this could be applied across europe to specific countries, but of course that would involve cooperating and working with the EU and politically thats unacceptable to the Brexit zealots.

The vast majority appear to be continuing their holiday and deciding what to do when they return, I suspect many will ignore the quarantine requirements should they still be in force on their return.

ferries etc.
    36 hours might have been better but I agree with the short notice. Did I mention we had a visitor who came over for just two days, the 14 day rule kicked in as she had her first meal with us and she just sucked it up in good grace (she chose to isolate on return rather than scoot back), everyone chancing it abroad should do the same IMO and be bloody thankful they aren’t amongst those who are still locked down through immune issues etc

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)