+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Formation

Formation

So, how do we get Robert's, Enzio, Wooton, and Rodriguez all in the same team?

Seems like the diamond we are trying at the moment is purely to suit Rodrigues. Is it sensible to base a formation around one player? Not in this league. Man United have managed to pull if off with Bruno, but we're not them.

Maybe a 4-1-4-1 is required? Example:

.................Slocombe..............
    Dion Rawlinson Lacey McCrory
    ....................Doyle....................
    Roberts Reeves Rodriguez Enzio
    ..................Wooton....................

Any thoughts on that?

............... Slocombe..........
    Dion. Rawlinson. lacey. Chicksen

Roberts. O'Brien. Doyle. Enzio

.......Wootton... Thomas.....

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post

Only problem with that is the absence of Rodrigues and the fact that Doyle is too old to be in a 2 man CM position now, which is why he's playing him in front of a back 4. So we either drop Doyle for Reeves (which Ardley clearly won't do) or put Reeves in for JOB.

Rodrigues will be our highest earner. I doubt he will leave him out.

.........................Slocombe................. .....

Kelly-Evans...Rawlinson...Lacey....Chicksen

.................Doyle..........Reeves............ ....

Roberts.............Rodrigues..........Boldewijn

........................ Wootton.........................

I must say, a couple of tough choices there, because Sam Graham is a serious challenger for a central defensive role and likewise Jim O'Brien for a defensive midfield role, but I think Rawlinson and Lacey have earned their start based on last season's form, and I want to see how well Reeves does in a proper match.

From the signings Ardley made, I thought 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 was almost certainly the plan, so I'm baffled that he has been trying to shoehorn players into a variation of 4-4-2, but if pre-season has served no other purpose it has hopefully made him realise that's a mistake. If he wanted to stick with a flat 4-4-2 or play a diamond, he should have signed different players.

One thing I will say is that Ardley seems very much in favour of playing two up front, and to be fair a lot of supporters like to see that too. If so, then don't be surprised if he tries to resolve all of the conundrums above by playing a 3-5-2 like he did successfully at Barrow. That would put significant defensive responsibilities on the wide midfield players though. Are Roberts and Enzio up to that? Kelly-Evans is probably the player most capable of fulfilling both the attacking and defensive duties required of wide players in that formation.
    Last edited by jackal2; 27-09-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    Only problem with that is the absence of Rodrigues and the fact that Doyle is too old to be in a 2 man CM position now, which is why he's playing him in front of a back 4. So we either drop Doyle for Reeves (which Ardley clearly won't do) or put Reeves in for JOB.

I think Rodrigues is a luxury player who reminds me of the guy we signed from the Stags a few years back., We cant have too many of those, especially with Roberts and Enzio.. As for Reeves, Sloth and Sam they have not shown anything to warrant a starting place ...

Will he? What makes you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Will he? What makes you think that?
    It's just a hunch based on him previously being in the 2nd tier of Dutch football. We would've had to better his wages for him to up sticks and make the move. He was doing well there.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post

That’s a horror show of a midfield. Trouble is, I haven’t got a foggiest who I’d replace any of em with.

It's just a hunch based on him previously being in the 2nd tier of Dutch football. We would've had to better his wages for him to up sticks and make the move. He was doing well there.
    Well you might be right, but I doubt he was earning that much in ze Dutch Shecond Division. If Enzio isn’t still by far and away our biggest earner I’d be amazed.

We should be playing 4-4 ferkin 2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast