+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In common

In common

What do Sam Winnall and Sam Vokes have in common? Apart from having the same christians and both having played for Wolves, between them they have scored 39 goals this season for their respective teams.

Neither considered good enough to stay at Molineux. Just two of many that we have let go, before they make a, often but not always, in a higher division.

Lets hope under the new structure, that players potential is looked at in greater depth. If we havn't millions to spend, it is imperative that we produce and retain good players.

re: In common

Your last sentence is what bothers me about Clarke, I don't think he can cut it at a higher level whereas I think the rest of Jackett's signings can.

Btw, I think we should have perhaps held onto Vokes.

In my eyes there was never any doubt that Vokes would make it. As a youngster he always looked good in games.

i think ge hit the premier league too early in his development.

The other Sam has plenty of opportunities in the reserves but never quite cut it. I don't think he will tbh.

The big question mark now is, do we have a quality player in Zeli Ismail?

Agree with Dunst on Vokes!

Wrong time for him to be with Wolves but oh to have had a sneak peak in that crystal ball!

I wouldn't be too hard on the club for letting the two "Sams" go, it is a real guessing game often as to who will make it and who will fall by the wayside. We may rue the day we let some future stars wander off to another club, but never seem to let ourselves be bothered that another club's inability to accurately judge talent brought Steve Bull and Andy Mutch to our side.

A lot of good players have been released only to become households.

Here's one for you, Daniel Sturridge was at Villa academy and released the rest is history.

The level Wolves find themselves has in a way given players a chance to make the breakthrough, ie Jack Price, Ebanks-Landell and to a lesser extent Liam McAlinden. I hope in years to come we get to see more of the same.

Vokes was never given a real chance with a good run in the team. He didn't have a set up based on him and had a manager that didn't use him properly... at the time we let him go I was a bit disappointed, but didn't see it a big loss. Give it two seasons and if he's still scoring plenty, I'd say we made a mistake, as every striker has a great season or so. Look at Doyle, he's still forging a career off two good seasons...and yes yes, I know he's a true professional, but he's not the quality striker we bought.
    As far as strikers we go, the only one we did well with was iwellumo. Got him for pence when he was on fire and made the money back in goals and resale.
    Strikers are a funny breed...only a handful in the world continue to be on fire, and understandably, they play for the most successful teams.

Quote Originally Posted by dunstablewolf
    In my eyes there was never any doubt that Vokes would make it. As a youngster he always looked good in games.

i think ge hit the premier league too early in his development.

The other Sam has plenty of opportunities in the reserves but never quite cut it. I don't think he will tbh.

The big question mark now is, do we have a quality player in Zeli Ismail?
    Maybe just like the ones mentioned, Ismail may need to leave the club to prove what he can do. It's quick and easy to look back once the likes of Vokes start scoring elsewhere. Players move on to further their careers, happens at every club and one manager may not see the potential that others do.

Vokes never got a decent run in the side but looked to have the making bit like Liam who is struggling to get a game these days yet I think he will prove to be a very good sticker providing he gets a chance.Problem is it may not be with us now he has bought Clarke and Dicko.We will regret it IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)