+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Top 10 Greatest Albums

O/T Top 10 Greatest Albums

Just noticed that Rolling Stone have recently updated their top 500 Albums of all time.

I think a Beatles Album was No1 previously with the Stone Roses No2 I could be wrong though. Anyway the No1 spot now belongs to Marvin Gayle. Ive played a few tracks and I'm unimpressed can't understand it being top of the pile

Only 1 Beatles album in the top 10 and I never got Bob Dylan and who the flip is Number 10??

Pleased to see Pet Sounds is now in second place still a phenomenal Album. It conjuors up so many memories. Anyway what do think of the Top 10? Here is a link to the Top 500;

https://tinyurl.com/ubndhxdb

TOP 10

1. Marvin Gaye, 'What's Going On'
    2. The Beach Boys, 'Pet Sounds'
    3. Joni Mitchell, 'Blue'
    4. Stevie Wonder, 'Songs in the Key of Life'
    5. The Beatles, 'Abbey Road'
    6. Nirvana, 'Nevermind'
    7. Fleetwood Mac, 'Rumours'
    8. Prince and the Revolution, 'Purple Rain'
    9. Bob Dylan, 'Blood on the Tracks'
    10 Lauryn Hill, 'The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill'

Lauryn Hill was lead singer with The Fugees but I’d not heard of her for years.

Surely “Tapestry” by Carole King should be around the top ten?

More tokenism by putting Marvin Gaye at number one albeit I’m not suggesting he wasn’t a great singer.

There’s so many albums that could be in there regardless of whether you’re a fan of the music.

Pink Floyd with Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall,

Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield,

Oxygene by Jean Michel Jarre,

Setting Sons by The Jam,

Parallel Lines by Blondie.

So many class options to choose from.

I'm a great fan of electronic/ambient and Oxygene was one of my first album purchases for this genre of music. Prior to this I bought Autobahn/Kraftwerk and Rubycon/Tangerine Dream but they are fairly niche so most wouldn't take the time to check em out. Mind ya I have recently listened to some Prince stuff and it aint too bad actually

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    I'm a great fan of electronic/ambient and Oxygene was one of my first album purchases for this genre of music. Prior to this I bought Autobahn/Kraftwerk and Rubycon/Tangerine Dream but they are fairly niche so most wouldn't take the time to check em out. Mind ya I have recently listened to some Prince stuff and it aint too bad actually
    If this same question had been asked in the mid 70’s Phil a lot of the listed albums would still be on the list which speaks volumes about the lack of quality in the last 45 years.

In 75-77 Tubular Bells would’ve topped this vote with Oxygene close behind.

Everyone seemed to have TB.....I also bought Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge as well, both absolutely dire but cool at the time.

White Rock by Rick Wakeman was also very popular and I had that as well, still some iconic tracks on that album such as the haunting “Searching For Gold”.

https://youtu.be/0tF2jkZxwP8

Everyone has their own tastes, putting lists together by committee is just the opinion of that group at the time the list was created, perhaps better to pick the top 2 selling albums of each decade, but even that would have its critics.

Yes its all down to taste, good and bad. How the hell Lauryn Hill gets into the top ten is way beyond me. I have a ''copy'' of that album and if i have played it twice since it was release then that is it. I'd throw that garbage out and insert Astral Weeks by Van Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    Yes its all down to taste, good and bad. How the hell Lauryn Hill gets into the top ten is way beyond me. I have a ''copy'' of that album and if i have played it twice since it was release then that is it. I'd throw that garbage out and insert Astral Weeks by Van Morrison.
    Lauryn Hill is another bit of tokenism Joy.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Just noticed that Rolling Stone have recently updated their top 500 Albums of all time.

I think a Beatles Album was No1 previously with the Stone Roses No2 I could be wrong though. Anyway the No1 spot now belongs to Marvin Gayle. Ive played a few tracks and I'm unimpressed can't understand it being top of the pile

Only 1 Beatles album in the top 10 and I never got Bob Dylan and who the flip is Number 10??

Pleased to see Pet Sounds is now in second place still a phenomenal Album. It conjuors up so many memories. Anyway what do think of the Top 10? Here is a link to the Top 500;

https://tinyurl.com/ubndhxdb

TOP 10

1. Marvin Gaye, 'What's Going On'
    2. The Beach Boys, 'Pet Sounds'
    3. Joni Mitchell, 'Blue'
    4. Stevie Wonder, 'Songs in the Key of Life'
    5. The Beatles, 'Abbey Road'
    6. Nirvana, 'Nevermind'
    7. Fleetwood Mac, 'Rumours'
    8. Prince and the Revolution, 'Purple Rain'
    9. Bob Dylan, 'Blood on the Tracks'
    10 Lauryn Hill, 'The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill'
    here’s mine Phil.

1.jethro Tull aqualung
    2.fairport convention liege & life.
    3 j.j. Cale natuarlly
    4.Beatles sgt pepper.
    5 jethro Tull minstrel in the gallery.
    6 carol king tapestry.
    7 black sabbath sabbath bloody sabbath.
    8 dire straits love over gold.
    9 meatloaf bat out of hell.
    10 genesis selling England by the pound.

In no particular order ,I’ll have 10 different albums tomorrow.today and the last 20 years music been pretty awful.

Quote Originally Posted by albion68 View Post
    here’s mine Phil.

1.jethro Tull aqualung
    2.fairport convention liege & life.
    3 j.j. Cale natuarlly
    4.Beatles sgt pepper.
    5 jethro Tull minstrel in the gallery.
    6 carol king tapestry.
    7 black sabbath sabbath bloody sabbath.
    8 dire straits love over gold.
    9 meatloaf bat out of hell.
    10 genesis selling England by the pound.

In no particular order ,I’ll have 10 different albums tomorrow.today and the last 20 years music been pretty awful.
    i ve got both Jethro Tull albums, the Dire Straits, the Genesis, the Carol King but I would swap the Liege & Life for Unhalfbricking.

I’ve never seen the point of ‘greatest ever’ lists, it’s just down to individuals tastes; it’s a good subject to discuss over a few pints in the pub. A few albums that I rate are ‘LA Woman’ by The Doors, ‘Feats don’t fail me now’ by Little Feat, ‘Elite Hotel’ by Emmylou Harris, ‘Black and White Night’ by Roy Orbison and friends; so much good stuff out there, impossible to make a definitive top 10 list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)