+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andy Murray

Andy Murray

Whilst the guy has done brilliant coming back from that operation - there were no tears from me when he lost!

Better player won and he didn’t whinge every few minutes either!

Goodbye Andy and have a glass tonight for Scotland 😂

A tremendous amount of heart in this bloke, a pity our player’s don’t show the same discipline and magnificent work ethic.

Considering he has had a replacement hip and was playing late the night before there’s nothing to criticise here.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Considering he has had a replacement hip and was playing late the night before there’s nothing to criticise here.
    Good post. He’s a credit to his nation. Long past his best perhaps but he has the heart of a Lion.

Quote Originally Posted by On Balance View Post
    Good post. He’s a credit to his nation. Long past his best perhaps but he has the heart of a Lion.
    His commitment and passion for the game is incredible. One of the most devoted professionals I have witnessed, how he came back from multiple injuries is beyond me.

He is now 36/37 so no spring chicken, age and injuries now limit what he can achieve which is a shame. You can see what he wants to do but his body can't do most of it!

I think MickD mentioned before, there is a brilliant documentary on Amazon Prime that is well worth a watch, along with the Ben Stokes: Pheonix from the Ashes too

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil81 View Post
    His commitment and passion for the game is incredible. One of the most devoted professionals I have witnessed, how he came back from multiple injuries is beyond me.

He is now 36/37 so no spring chicken, age and injuries now limit what he can achieve which is a shame. You can see what he wants to do but his body can't do most of it!

I think MickD mentioned before, there is a brilliant documentary on Amazon Prime that is well worth a watch, along with the Ben Stokes: Pheonix from the Ashes too
    Yes mate, the documentary is called Resurfaced, well worth a watch irrespective of whether you like tennis or not.

One if not the greatest sportsman this country has ever produced .

To win two Wimbledon titles , a US Open and two Olympic Gold medals plus the Davis Cup in the same era as three of the greatest tennis players to ever have lived is incredible .

That's not even mentioning the Grand Slam finals he's made and fourty wins on the ATP tour .

To keep fighting and find the motivation and come back from those injuries including a metal hip is truly inspirational .

Special man and I've enjoyed watching him since he was 18 years old .

You keep going Andy , your a long time retired mate , play as long as you can I say .

I have to say that whilst I agree that he has been brilliant I am quite surprised he didn't have the tactical acumen to exploit that greasy Greeks' complete and utter lack of a back hand.

Murray consistently did the tennis equivalent of pushing the winger on to his good foot.

Don't get me wrong, that tennis game is hard and it shows up how comparatively unfit footballers are but I would have thought a player of Murray's experience would have been able to exploit an obvious weakness in an opponent.

Furthermore, if Tsitsipas is the fifth seed then it just shows how weak the game is at the moment.
    I started watching the game as a randy ****ager and had many "off the wrist" moments watching the women's game. I remember watching a young player called Jelena Dokic, not much of a looker but had a killer body and was the same age as me; I wanting to be involved in the whole tennis scene.

Then, after I had w@nk3d myself silly over the women I began to actually enjoy the game, Sampras, Agassi et Al were just about done and players like Pat Rafter, Roddick, Federer, Nadal, Hewitt, even Henman all came on the scene.

A few of those could give these current no marks a game or two even now. Djokovic apart

Quote Originally Posted by BARBaggies82 View Post
    I have to say that whilst I agree that he has been brilliant I am quite surprised he didn't have the tactical acumen to exploit that greasy Greeks' complete and utter lack of a back hand.

Murray consistently did the tennis equivalent of pushing the winger on to his good foot.

Don't get me wrong, that tennis game is hard and it shows up how comparatively unfit footballers are but I would have thought a player of Murray's experience would have been able to exploit an obvious weakness in an opponent.

Furthermore, if Tsitsipas is the fifth seed then it just shows how weak the game is at the moment.
    I started watching the game as a randy ****ager and had many "off the wrist" moments watching the women's game. I remember watching a young player called Jelena Dokic, not much of a looker but had a killer body and was the same age as me; I wanting to be involved in the whole tennis scene.

Then, after I had w@nk3d myself silly over the women I began to actually enjoy the game, Sampras, Agassi et Al were just about done and players like Pat Rafter, Roddick, Federer, Nadal, Hewitt, even Henman all came on the scene.

A few of those could give these current no marks a game or two even now. Djokovic apart
    I think if the game had been allowed to end on the night as it does in the other slams especially in New York and Melbourne , it's nothing for some of these matches to go on until 4am in the morning then Murray would have won in my opinion .

Tsitsipas had the opportunity from his team to change his tactics , he'd have had that do on his own had the match continued and I'm not sure he'd have done that .

There's the small matter that Murray isn't as good as he once was , to put it another way not as good as he once was for longer spells in matches , a couple of sets gets somewhere near where he was but ultimately that's not going to be enough in a five set encounter .

Even at that there wasn't 2% between them with the match hinging on a couple of points .

Tsitsipas wouldn't have troubled Murray when he was at his peak , wouldn't have taken so much as a set off Murray on grass in my opinion .

He won't win three slams either , in fact he probably won't win one even with Djokovic retired .

Murray’s problem now is that he can’t string consecutive wins together if matches are played just a day apart.

To your point Animal, this was akin to playing two matches in two days and he can’t do it anymore at the top level.

Regardless of his bravery at carrying on after a hip replacement, you can see how he moves between points, he’s as stiff and awkward as hell.

I’m 25 years older than him but I can appreciate his problem.

I still love to run but my right ankle and hip are not great and my right knee requires a steroid injection to reduce the inflammation and keep the pain at bay.

Whilst it’s working I can still run like I did in my 30’s but the next morning I’m walking like a robot because my joints are so stiff.

I think Andy should retire and just play on the seniors tour if he still loves playing so much, nothing left to prove at top level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)