+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Team v Maidenhead

Team v Maidenhead

IB likes to keep a pretty settled team, but we have so many options (at most positions and choice of formations) that fans' picks could be all over the place. I'd go for

.................Slocombe
    DKE.....Lacey.....Cameron....Taylor
    .....Palmer....Francis....O'Brien
    ....Roberts...Wootton..Rodrigues

subs: Brindley, Chicksen, Vincent, Nemane, Mitchell

Fans are split on formation. Only team insiders have a clue what he's going to send out tomorrow. I like 4-3-3.
    I see Brindley as our long-term RB if we go to a back 4, but DKE has had more chalk on his boots and will be more ready for it now. Palmer and O'Brien provide a good balance either side of Francis. If we need to chase, drop Ruben back to get more of the ball and bring Mitchell on for JO'B

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    IB likes to keep a pretty settled team, but we have so many options (at most positions and choice of formations) that fans' picks could be all over the place. I'd go for

.................Slocombe
    DKE.....Lacey.....Cameron....Taylor
    .....Palmer....Francis....O'Brien
    ....Roberts...Wootton..Rodrigues

subs: Brindley, Chicksen, Vincent, Nemane, Mitchell

Fans are split on formation. Only team insiders have a clue what he's going to send out tomorrow. I like 4-3-3.
    I see Brindley as our long-term RB if we go to a back 4, but DKE has had more chalk on his boots and will be more ready for it now. Palmer and O'Brien provide a good balance either side of Francis. If we need to chase, drop Ruben back to get more of the ball and bring Mitchell on for JO'B
    I’d go the same, I think. Quite like the balance in that side.

Maidenhead have favoured a 4-1-4-1 formation this season. That would suggest a pretty condensed mid block from them with reliance on the likes of Sam Barratt to capitalise on any counter attack. If we go 3 at the back I would worry we end up panicking a bit if Maidenhead are having success overloading the flanks and we will retreat into a more defensive 5-3-2 so a 4 at the back again would be a good shout for this game.

The only problem with AC's 4-3-3 above that I can see is that JOB will more likely play in a more advanced position on the left and we essentially become a 4-2-4. We saw what happened with that against Wealdstone, it just opens up space for the opposition in the middle of the park and we end up looking for deep passes from the back which worked great against Barnet but probably not against Maidenhead with their expected formation.

If we go for a 4-3-3 then I'd be tempted to put Chicksen in at LB with Taylor in front of him and then maybe leave JOB out of the starting 11 with a view to using him if needed second half. This gives us some sense of defensive security but with an option for the overload when attacking allowing us to work the 4-2-4 strategy to greater affect.

I should just add that if it was me I would have JOB start every game, unfortunately it's not that simple!

Too many experts?

I prefer the 3 at the back system
    4-3-3 looks very vulnerable defencively, especially when teams double up on the flanks like Wealdstone did against Brindley and Taylor

GK SLOCOMBE
    RCB BRINDLEY
    CB LACEY
    LCB CAMERON
    RWB DKE
    LWB CHICKSEN
    CM PALMER
    ACM RODRIGUEZ
    FWD ROBERTS
    FWD MITCHELL
    STR WHOOTON

SUBS
    OBRIEN
    RAWLINSON
    NEMANE
    FRANCIS
    TAYLOR

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Too many experts?
    Not at all, just people who have an interest in football tactics, stats and analytics and have an opinion they would like to share with like minded fans on a football forum!

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post

The only problem with AC's 4-3-3 above that I can see is that JOB will more likely play in a more advanced position on the left and we essentially become a 4-2-4. We saw what happened with that against Wealdstone, it just opens up space for the opposition in the middle of the park and we end up looking for deep passes from the back which worked great against Barnet but probably not against Maidenhead with their expected formation.

If we go for a 4-3-3 then I'd be tempted to put Chicksen in at LB with Taylor in front of him and then maybe leave JOB out of the starting 11 with a view to using him if needed second half. This gives us some sense of defensive security but with an option for the overload when attacking allowing us to work the 4-2-4 strategy to greater affect.
    Interesting idea, using Taylor as a winger essentially, because he wouldn't have much to do defensively with a player as solid as Chicks behind him in a home game against M'head. Does he have experience of playing anything other than LB or LWB? Even if not, it could work

Re: JOB... If you can't play him in a 3-man midfield in a home game v M'head then when can you play him? And if you want to pick him for every game, then who would be dropped to accommodate him?

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Interesting idea, using Taylor as a winger essentially, because he wouldn't have much to do defensively with a player as solid as Chicks behind him in a home game against M'head. Does he have experience of playing anything other than LB or LWB? Even if not, it could work

Re: JOB... If you can't play him in a 3-man midfield in a home game v M'head then when can you play him? And if you want to pick him for every game, then who would be dropped to accommodate him?
    Yeah, JOB's a real conundrum. You could play him instead of Francis I suppose and ask Palmer to play the deeper CM role with JOB given the freedom to play anywhere he likes in behind the front 3. Would probably work quite well now you mention it!

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Too many experts?
    How dare they talk football tactics, formations and team selection on here!!

Burn em! They're witches I tells ya.

Joking aside AC, Jacob, ncfcog et al tactical discussions and debate are most welcome in my eyes and interesting. Although I realise it will be far to sensible, well mannered and football focused for some

Don't worry the rollercoaster opens on Saturday 2pm, with mild panic and pitchforks admittable.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast