+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Neil Warnock

O/T:- Neil Warnock

Neil Warnock is to join Torquay United's board of directors as a football advisor.

The veteran former manager, 75, will advise the National League South side's new owners after they agreed to take over the club, which is in administration.

BBC Sport reported on Friday that the former Sheffield United, Crystal Palace, Huddersfield Town and Cardiff City boss was set to take a role at the club.

Newly installed co-chairman Michael Westcott says the club is also 'close' to appointing a new manager, with an announcement expected on Tuesday.

"Neil's been a huge help to us personally," Westcott told BBC Radio Devon.

"We're not from the football world, we're from the business world, our involvement in football has been a lifelong love for Torquay United.

"As business people we believe in surrounding ourselves with bright minds that know their particular area of speciality much better than us."

Neil Warnock (left) had been advising Michael Westcott (right)
    IMAGE SOURCE,REX FEATURES
    Image caption,
    Neil Warnock (left) had been advising Michael Westcott (right) and his Bryn Consortium ahead of their takeover

One of the first tasks facing Warnock - who managed Torquay in 1993 - will be to help find a new manager.

The Gulls have not had a permanent boss since Gary Johnson left at the beginning of the club's financial issues in February, with his assistant in interim charge for the rest of the season.

"We've lost a lot of time in the past three weeks since the last game of the season and we need to get recruiting when it comes to staff and players," added Westcott.

"Neil's visited Plainmoor for our last three games of the season and he's been blown away by the warm reception that he's received by all of the fans.

"He had been looking for a project. He doesn't want to sit in the dugout anymore, nor does he want to be in the dressing room, that's for others, but he wants to play a part in rebuilding the club which reflects the community which we know holds him in very high affection."

Westcott would not confirm whether Torquay would stay as a full-time club for next season - the squad had been fully professional this campaign.

But he said the budget Warnock will oversee will be one of the biggest in the sixth tier.

"The National League has confirmed to us that we'll have probably the highest playing budget in our league next year," he added.

"It'll be down to the football operation to decide how many full-time contracts and how many part-time contracts that will involve in assembling the squad."
    Last edited by SwalePie; 13-05-2024 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Fixed off topic prefix

Shouldn't be too stressful for him.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    Shouldn't be too stressful for him.
    It is a retirement resort, probably wants to suss out properties and grab a bargain whilst "doing a job"

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    It is a retirement resort, probably wants to suss out properties and grab a bargain whilst "doing a job"
    He already lives in Cornwall so wouldn't want the stress of living in Torquay.

I see Neil is doing an 'interview with' performance at Playhouse on June 5th. Worth a look?

Hope it works out for him and Torquay. I'll be keeping a closer eye on their results. Their gates have held up well, better than five season's figures they've had in the 5th tier in the last 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    I see Neil is doing an 'interview with' performance at Playhouse on June 5th. Worth a look?
    Got tickets for York. Looking forward to it. Doubt many Notts fans there for that one but you never know. Got some great questions lined up already if I get the chance but if anyone has a good one post here and I’ll do my best to ask if we get the chance.

Torquays a sh1t hole so no way would Warnock want to live there!

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBoots View Post
    Got tickets for York. Looking forward to it. Doubt many Notts fans there for that one but you never know. Got some great questions lined up already if I get the chance but if anyone has a good one post here and I’ll do my best to ask if we get the chance.
    You could ask if he has any advice for a struggling new coach, trying to replace a successful and popular coach, how to build team spirit and how to improve media skills so fans can bear to listen to him!

As a Manager, I always had a bit of respect for Neil Warnock. Any Manager who gets Notts County promoted must have something about them.

But it was when I read Neil Warnock's Biography, I started to see him as a great bloke. While the book wasn't Shakespeare and didn't win any literary prizes ( He may have ghost written it himself) , it shows someone determined to make the best of his lot.

I've never met him, but I think he has given an awful lot to football.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast