+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of Depth

Lack of Depth

The first team squad we have at the moment is a lot thinner than a lot of squads MB has had elsewhere at Bilbao it was 22 or 23 and that was where the idea he likes a small squad comes from.

Our true first team squad is a lot less than that

Meslier Klaessen (not really a first team member more cover from u23)
    Ayling shackleton
    Cooper Struijk Llorente Koch
    Firpo Dallas
    Phillips Forshaw
    Klich Robert’s Rodrigo
    Harrison James Rapha
    Bamford Joffy (not really as technically u23)

That makes 20 but really 17 so we are at least 3 and maybe 5 short

With the injuries and every team gets a few that has meant u23 players have been dragged into the first team squad when not ready to be permanent first team members in most cases.

They get little game time in the first team but also don’t get time in the u23 either and as we all know all footballers want to play.

Maybe it is no surprise that some players want to go out on loan just to get regular game time as constantly training - even if good for their development - probably drives them nuts. They also may think if we can’t get regular starts now with the lack of depth when will we.

This is probably amplified by certain players such as Robert’s getting lots of chances when the youngsters believe they are better.

Also some players such as Klich, Ayling, Cooper and Dallas don’t have many seasons left so they will need replacing and again makes the shallowness of the squad all the more perplexing where some of the u23 may still be two seasons away from being ready to be first team regulars.

Most of said we thought we were two short in midfield and one up front and there may be further consequences beyond the obvious with how the u23s see this.

Great points. Especially about the U-23's that are tweeners. I can't blame them for wanting out on loan. MB does not play them unless there is no one else on the bench. It's really hard on their development.

As mentioned above, several key players, in key areas, very close or already have reached their max, so club has some pretty hefty recruiting to do over next 2-3 years. Not just in replacing the " oldies ", but the normal / expected improving squad quality.
    Fingers crossed 2-3 U23s can step up, but otherwise some serious investment needed, just to keep the club moving in the right direction, not even considering poss Euro places.

Makes you wonder why some of the players we supposedly like weren’t bought

Olisa cost Palace 8m plus add ons
    Bremerton Diaz in the summer was valued at 10m
    Ryan Kent - probably would have cost less than Dan James and can play up too too
    Swift
    Knight

Knight from Derby would probably cost relative peanuts given the trouble they are in and we are supposed to be fans.

Not sure what is going on with the lad from
    RB Salzburg but if we can spend 20m plus wierd we haven’t tried for some of the others mentioned.

Maybe MB wants better quality right now hence Aaronson but who knows:

I can only think we are keeping the purse strings faintly tight due to 49ers buying Radz out and/or new manager possibly incoming in the summer.

Think good chance Roberts, Casilla, Costa and Poveda will go for good in the summer and you could probably add Cooper to that list so he can get one last great contract before he is too old given the riches we have at CB.

That means we are probably looking at 5 players coming in and they can’t all come from the u23 as in some positions the player won’t be ready.

Be interesting to see how that pans out.

The Depth is there and which under 23 has come in failed to impress? They all have done great perhaps maybe Greenwood the od one out as apparently got injured early and kept playing for a half. They are ready only problem is they are not trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by ozleeds View Post
    The Depth is there and which under 23 has come in failed to impress? They all have done great perhaps maybe Greenwood the od one out as apparently got injured early and kept playing for a half. They are ready only problem is they are not trusted.
    Hmmmn not sure Oz - was making a slightly different point - the first team regular squad doesn’t have enough depth especially in certain areas.

Lots of talent is great in u18 and u23 but not all of it is ready to be used week in and week out in the senior squad in a starting role.

It means we show horn square pegs into round holes - Bamford replacement and midfield being the most obvious areas.

In two years time it will be fine if we are still in the Prem - which a think we will be - as the production cycle will be fully in place by then.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Hmmmn not sure Oz - was making a slightly different point - the first team regular squad doesn’t have enough depth especially in certain areas.

Lots of talent is great in u18 and u23 but not all of it is ready to be used week in and week out in the senior squad in a starting role.

It means we show horn square pegs into round holes - Bamford replacement and midfield being the most obvious areas.

In two years time it will be fine if we are still in the Prem - which a think we will be - as the production cycle will be fully in place by then.
    I hope so on the last part. We have players for the injured positions but he prefers to tamper with their positions.Raph was never a winger yet he has converted him also. Imagine how good he is there now what he could do with his normal position. Every time he plays Dallas mid he is poor yet he insists the same as Koch. You have a so-called Spanish number 9 playing mid and a highly paid winger playing striker.
    Maybe so-called slagging of players is not warranted and we should all be concentrating on the manager's tactics instead. We are short of mids and he keeps taking of Klich for Roberts. I know the injuries don't help but for crying out loud play players to their positions.

Indeed although I think Rapha has always been a winger

Are our U23's really that good. Sometimes I think we fall into the trap and over-rate some of them. We are 3rd from bottom in the Premier league 2 with the teams below us having games in hand.

I read a lot of posts across many media outlets and people post about how they are going to strenghten the First Team in a few years time. I'm not knocking the U23's as most will still be developing but lets not forget so will the other teams.

Some of them that have played do look good, Joffy, Cresswell, Hjelde and Bate to name a few, but I think quite a lot will never really make it into the main squad.

As I said, not knocking them but would like to hear others thoughts if investing so heavily in the youngsters is truely the way ahead

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    Indeed although I think Rapha has always been a winger
    MT said he was playing the number 10 roll at his old club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)