+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newcastle v Burnley Match Preview

Newcastle v Burnley Match Preview

Well here it is then. The clash of Newcastle seeking their first PL win of the season with a Burnley side that has a solitary win from their opening 13 fixtures. The clash of Sean Dyche with his predecessor at Burnley Eddie Howe. The clash of Saudi riches with thrifty Lancashire grit. The clash of the Maxes: Maxwel Cornet v Allan Saint-Maximin.

Newcastle will be desperate to get that first league win against the Clarets as their next four fixtures see them travel to Leicester and Liverpool followed by home games against Manchester City and a rejuvenated Manchester United. For their home match against Norwich, Newcastle United Supporters Group Wor Flags hung out a banner on the Gallowgate proclaiming “Make Each Day Your Masterpiece”. Unfortunately the masterpiece was somewhat tarnished as central defender Ciaran Clark was sent for an early bath and the ten man Magpies were unable to hold on to the lead given to them by a Callum Wilson penalty. Club captain Jamaal Lascelles who was suspended for the visit of the Canaries should return to replace Clark and there could be a start for fans favourite Federico Fernandez. Joelinton and St Maximin are expected to line up alongside Wilson in a front three with Joe Willock and Jonjo Shelvey anchoring the midfield.

Burnley picked up a valuable away point in midweek when they travelled to Molineux and held Wolves to a 0-0 draw. James Tarkowski and Ashley Westwood who were suspended for that fixture will come back into contention for starting places. Tarkowski remains the subject of much speculation as we head towards the January transfer window with both Newcastle and West Ham linked with moves for his signature.

Burnley travelled to St James’ Park in August in a Carabao Cup 2nd Round tie. After a scoreless ninety minutes played in front of a 30,000 crowd the Clarets won the penalty shoot out 4-3 with Charlie Taylor slotting home the decisive spot kick. The competition, the personnel, the atmosphere and the stakes will all be different this time around. A moderate breeze is forecast in Tyneside for 3pm on Saturday with a temperature of around 4 degrees. The match referee is Paul Tierney with Lee Mason on VAR. Here’s hoping we break Geordie hearts. COYC!

A veritable six pointer. COYC!

Sadly, including my first visit to St James Park on 18 September 1965 when we lost 3-2, we have played 17 league games against the Toon up in Newcastle and won only 3, the last being in April 1976 when we won 1-0 in League Division Two. We have drawn 5 times and lost 9 times ----I have always considered it a place where we never get much!
    Having said that, we are due a win because since that win 45 years ago we have drawn 4 and lost 4! I do not include the Carabao cup this season because that does not count for me.
    MY home game and I am 247 miles away ----prior engagement takes priority!

That St Maximus will no doubt run riot again,we can't handle him.

I want revenge for '74.

Quote Originally Posted by warminsterclaret View Post
    I want revenge for '74.
    I've been wanting that for 47 years now, we wuzz robbed, curse supermac (spits on ground theatrically [me, not MacDonald]).

Just noticed 47 is 74 transposed, an omen perhaps?

a Burnley Win.

.....with nothing less than a thorough drubbing !

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    I've been wanting that for 47 years now, we wuzz robbed, curse supermac (spits on ground theatrically [me, not MacDonald]).

Just noticed 47 is 74 transposed, an omen perhaps?
    Yes, an omen. Super*******mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Sadly, including my first visit to St James Park on 18 September 1965 when we lost 3-2, we have played 17 league games against the Toon up in Newcastle and won only 3, the last being in April 1976 when we won 1-0 in League Division Two. We have drawn 5 times and lost 9 times ----I have always considered it a place where we never get much!
    Having said that, we are due a win because since that win 45 years ago we have drawn 4 and lost 4! I do not include the Carabao cup this season because that does not count for me.
    MY home game and I am 247 miles away ----prior engagement takes priority!
    The April 1976 game was in fact our last ever victory in the old Division 1. Burnley would have to wait 33 years for another top flight victory. Newcastle have only been waiting 14 matches so far this season. I want to make them wait a good deal longer but I have a bad feeling about today’s game. I am haunted by the image of a smiling Alan Shearer on MOTD.

Oh nooooooooooooo. to cheer things up, to have that happy feeling before the game . I like this guy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)