+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time of year for the media to bash the state pension.

Time of year for the media to bash the state pension.

Turning young against old and multi millionaire MP's saying it's a run away train.
    State pension is around £165 and £203 for the new state pension plus 8.5% ( although they are trying to exclude bonuses in the pay rise rates to bring it down to 7.8%.
    In the house of frauds, a Lord can pull up keep the taxi running ,which we pay for, sign on and collect £325 tax free each day.
    A lot just come to get a subsidised posh dinner and wine.
    Cost of putting the boat people who come every day, each one is the equivalent of 3 state pensions.
    Drop the triple lock change the formula to say 60% of the minimum wage .
    As for for people in their 50s moaning about it, these rises are compounded for when you get it.
    Rant over.

I’ve worked for 45 years and never had a single day of not being employed.

When I started work I was on £18.60 for a 40 hour week in 1978, that’s less than 50p an hour.

£2.60 of that wage went in National Insurance payment leaving me with just £16.

Governments waste multi billions of OUR money, not their money, OUR money.

I’m sick of the media and the wealthy Left Wing “luvies” constantly b itching about this sort of stuff.

We were promised this when we started work, it was a contract between the state and each worker that contributed……end of.

If any individual so wishes, they can divert their pension or any other handouts to charity, it’s within each individual’s gift to make this decision.

People are idiots for doing the hard yards moaning to make it easier for governments to reduce or eradicate the State Pension.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post

When I started work I was on £18.60 for a 40 hour week in 1978, that’s less than 50p an hour.

I’m sick of the media and the wealthy Left Wing “luvies” constantly b itching about this sort of stuff.

We were promised this when we started work, it was a contract between the state and each worker that contributed……end of.

If any individual so wishes, they can divert their pension or any other handouts to charity, it’s within each individual’s gift to make this decision.

People are idiots for doing the hard yards moaning to make it easier for governments to reduce or eradicate the State Pension.
    Totally agree!

Totally agree! Totally unfair though many collected their state pensions at 65 whilst it's now 68 and for sure will be over 70 sooner rather than later! If an individual has over X in assets plus a nice private pension do they really need a state pension too? Lottery winner who won millions still collects his pension FFS! To get more money in the pot - use a percentage of annual income for fines as some countries do with no maximum! A percentage fine will still hurt someone on ten grand a year more than some on lets say 200K plus! Only fair!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Totally agree! Totally unfair though many collected their state pensions at 65 whilst it's now 68 and for sure will be over 70 sooner rather than later! If an individual has over X in assets plus a nice private pension do they really need a state pension too? Lottery winner who won millions still collects his pension FFS! To get more money in the pot - use a percentage of annual income for fines as some countries do with no maximum! A percentage fine will still hurt someone on ten grand a year more than some on lets say 200K plus! Only fair!
    It’s up to individuals to decide what to do with their pension, NOT the government.

Pensions always going to be a bit of a tricky one. Much like the case of the NHS, the circumstances that originally led to the need for the creation of the state pension have changed dramatically since. The state pension-along with a raft of other social measures-was first brought in to offer some much needed assistance to the massive numbers of the poorly paid working classes. Prior to this many ended their days in the workhouse if family could not support them. Today, whilst there are undoubtedly very many who still financially rely heavily on the state pension, there are also far more who do not, mostly through having additional private or company pensions. The problem, of course, is that these people have worked and contributed to the state scheme too so they have a justifiable argument to say that they are entitled to a state pension. As Mick would argue, it is then up to them how they chose to use that money.

Maybe the crux of the issue is to look at the initial reasoning behind the creation of the state pension in the first place which was clearly to help those most in need of financial assistance in their old age. With an ageing population it is obvious -like the NHS-that the increasing financial burden of the current system is ultimately not sustainable however.

I get why people are angry that the shysters who have never really worked still get to draw it but in reality these are a comparatively small minority who get away with playing the whole benefits system. But there are still many who have worked hard all their lives but who have not been fortunate enough to benefit from decent company pensions or able to afford private ones. Contrary to what right wing Tories like Truss spout, profit is too often made at the exploitation of others (e.g. poor pay) and certainly working hard is no guarantee of either success or financial wealth or security.

In addition there is also the issue of public sector pensions which are obviously funded by tax payers. Whilst the actual salaries may not always be as competitive as those in the private sector, this was frequently compensated for in more generous pension schemes. Whilst many private company pension schemes have been consistently eroded over the years, in comparison, these public service schemes have enjoyed measures of protection.

Given the cost of the state pension maybe it is now time -like the NHS-to consider some kind of means testing for receipt of it? The amount would then be graded accordingly rather than an all or nothing situation. Of course it would still have to be funded by NI contributions which would mean that the majority paying into it may not receive anything back but if this was to provide a safety net for the most vulnerable why not? Our taxes fund other social benefits after all.

Of course, in a fairer world, everyone would be paid a decent wage with access to a decent company pension scheme which would then ease the pressure on relying on state benefits but that ain't ever going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Pensions always going to be a bit of a tricky one. Much like the case of the NHS, the circumstances that originally led to the need for the creation of the state pension have changed dramatically since. The state pension-along with a raft of other social measures-was first brought in to offer some much needed assistance to the massive numbers of the poorly paid working classes. Prior to this many ended their days in the workhouse if family could not support them. Today, whilst there are undoubtedly very many who still financially rely heavily on the state pension, there are also far more who do not, mostly through having additional private or company pensions. The problem, of course, is that these people have worked and contributed to the state scheme too so they have a justifiable argument to say that they are entitled to a state pension. As Mick would argue, it is then up to them how they chose to use that money.

Maybe the crux of the issue is to look at the initial reasoning behind the creation of the state pension in the first place which was clearly to help those most in need of financial assistance in their old age. With an ageing population it is obvious -like the NHS-that the increasing financial burden of the current system is ultimately not sustainable however.

I get why people are angry that the shysters who have never really worked still get to draw it but in reality these are a comparatively small minority who get away with playing the whole benefits system. But there are still many who have worked hard all their lives but who have not been fortunate enough to benefit from decent company pensions or able to afford private ones. Contrary to what right wing Tories like Truss spout, profit is too often made at the exploitation of others (e.g. poor pay) and certainly working hard is no guarantee of either success or financial wealth or security.

In addition there is also the issue of public sector pensions which are obviously funded by tax payers. Whilst the actual salaries may not always be as competitive as those in the private sector, this was frequently compensated for in more generous pension schemes. Whilst many private company pension schemes have been consistently eroded over the years, in comparison, these public service schemes have enjoyed measures of protection.

Given the cost of the state pension maybe it is now time -like the NHS-to consider some kind of means testing for receipt of it? The amount would then be graded accordingly rather than an all or nothing situation. Of course it would still have to be funded by NI contributions which would mean that the majority paying into it may not receive anything back but if this was to provide a safety net for the most vulnerable why not? Our taxes fund other social benefits after all.

Of course, in a fairer world, everyone would be paid a decent wage with access to a decent company pension scheme which would then ease the pressure on relying on state benefits but that ain't ever going to happen.

Very good post and agree with you completely

Time for a revolution if they piss about any more with as you say our money, already have to wait more years.

I get why people who have struggled and worked hard all their lives and contributed into NI throughout might feel they are entitled to a state pension whether they financially now need it or not but the current system of paying out to all is simply not sustainable. Many will still, of course, rely heavily on their state pension but an increasing number do not. Given the financial constraints, should rich people like Sunak get a state pension still? Surely the priority is to help the poorer and more vulnerable. That was the original aim in its creation and should still surely stand? Currently we have a situation where the better off can retire early due to private or company schemes whereas the poorer,who will rely on the state pension, are having to work increasingly longer. Societies are never fair, but I personally believe that we should aim to make them as fair add possible

The state pension is part of National Insurance so it's an insurance, a scheme to create a financial safety net for your old age should you need it. We all pay a small fortune in car insurance, house insurance, pet insurance etc. over the years, but if we don't have to make a claim on them do we expect to get our money back at the end? No. So, logically, why would you expect a state pension if you don't financially need one?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    I get why people who have struggled and worked hard all their lives and contributed into NI throughout might feel they are entitled to a state pension whether they financially now need it or not but the current system of paying out to all is simply not sustainable. Many will still, of course, rely heavily on their state pension but an increasing number do not. Given the financial constraints, should rich people like Sunak get a state pension still? Surely the priority is to help the poorer and more vulnerable. That was the original aim in its creation and should still surely stand? Currently we have a situation where the better off can retire early due to private or company schemes whereas the poorer,who will rely on the state pension, are having to work increasingly longer. Societies are never fair, but I personally believe that we should aim to make them as fair add possible

The state pension is part of National Insurance so it's an insurance, a scheme to create a financial safety net for your old age should you need it. We all pay a small fortune in car insurance, house insurance, pet insurance etc. over the years, but if we don't have to make a claim on them do we expect to get our money back at the end? No. So, logically, why would you expect a state pension if you don't financially need one?

100% agree with you! Do parents who send their children to private school expect a tax rebate for not taking up a state school place? A state school place still costs the tax payer over 10 grand a year per child so its not free! Same with the NHS - if you wealthy then don't drain the NHS and go private! Rich companies like Amazon should offer private BUPA to their employees but in reality - they want to pay them f uck all and get richer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)