+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stevie Archibald - A forgotten Don?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I think there was some resentment as he was seen as the player that ''replaced'' King Joey. I remember watching him thinking his control wasn't great but he topped the scoring charts in Scotland , England and Spain. McGoo's control was exceptional and turns out he was far easier to dislike - who knew?

A wee bit before my time but a very good player by all accounts .

I remember a radio program discussing him a wee while back , he served his time as a mechanic with either Rolls Royce or Bentley and it was his ambition to own one of these cars that helped drive him on to succeed as a footballer.

It probably is a bit strange that he doesn’t get mentioned more as a former Don in the build up to big games ( this week for example).

Will we ever see another player winning the league with Aberdeen and Barcelona .....I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    A wee bit before my time but a very good player by all accounts .

I remember a radio program discussing him a wee while back , he served his time as a mechanic with either Rolls Royce or Bentley and it was his ambition to own one of these cars that helped drive him on to succeed as a footballer.

It probably is a bit strange that he doesn’t get mentioned more as a former Don in the build up to big games ( this week for example).

Will we ever see another player winning the league with Aberdeen and Barcelona .....I wonder?

It's unlikely, Barcelona are on their way down.

Archibald was a bit before my time as well. Think he was at Hibs fan I wis at school. I remember him more for his brief stint as chairman/manager/shareholder of Airdrie when they took a load of Spanish players in. Pretty sure I also recall him doing a half time draw at Pittodrie at some point, maybe around the Skovdahl era?!

Is he nae great pals with King Joey?!

Quote Originally Posted by DonUnder View Post
    I think there was some resentment as he was seen as the player that ''replaced'' King Joey. I remember watching him thinking his control wasn't great but he topped the scoring charts in Scotland , England and Spain. McGoo's control was exceptional and turns out he was far easier to dislike - who knew?
    McGhee is a w@nker of a man though...Archibald isn’t. Both great players though.