+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 January 1992

14 January 1992

While browsing On This Day I find this gem from 22 years ago. I hadn't realised his only goal at Fir Park was against us!

"Motherwell were held to a 3-3 draw at home to Aberdeen when Andy Roddie scored a last minute equaliser. Kirk, Nijholt and O'Donnell were on target for the hosts. Roddie would become one of Alex McLeisha's first signings in 1994 but despite possessing incredible pace and having reasonable crossing ability, the winger failed to make an impression. This strike would be the only goal he ever managed at Fir Park and, largely due to his 150,000 pound price tag, Roddie was widely considered one of the poorest players ever purchased by a 'Well manager. "

re: 14 January 1992

A wee story to clear up why we signed him ,at a question and answer session in the Cooper with Big Alex,myself and my brother met Eck in the toilet the brother asked him why we signed Roddie and big Alex replied "have you seen his wife she is gorgeous " true story

I believe your story but also believe McLeish is totally overrated and has bought a lot of numpties over the years and that would be a way of joking about it as he would never admit to making a mistake would he best thing he did for us was leaving and going to hibs as that helped us stay up as he got them relegated

He also paid around £350,000 for Shaun McSkimming. Could you imagine what we could do with that kind of money nowadays.

purchase Hearts ?

Steve kirk & Paul McGrillan & A?100,000 for Stevie May from Falkirk... Aye Big Eck was a wizard in the transfer market. Even A?100,000 would be welcome now.

Was Roddie the skinny guy with the massive lugs?
    Always worried he'd be blown away in a strong wind, if it's who I'm thinking of ?

Sieb .. if the player your thinking the worst you can remember ever watching in claret & amber and thought why McLeish purchased such a phud ? If so you are correct

Yes Andy was a poor investment but his wife Vicky was a stunner I had the privilege of being in their company many times.He could have become a hero in Finland against Mypa 47 if his good evening ( he made the two goals )had resulted on us overturning the 1st leg defeat 3-1 at firpark.

By half time we were in the lead but by only one goal. Lambert passed to Roddie and the winger cut the ball inside for Burns to finish. We needed two second half goals to stay in the competition.

Roddie was involved again and he supplied Arnott for a goal from 8 yards. The aggregate scores were now level at 3-3 but the Finns had the away goal advantage. Our best chance fell to 17 year old lee McCulloch two minutes into added time. He collected from martin and shot from the edge of the penalty box. The keeper was beaten but the ball passed on the wrong side of the post.

You've not exactly narrowed it down for me Dasdeid ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)